WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Winston-Salem Dash
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:15 pm 

What a great idea!!! The ballpark was also site of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure a couple of weekends ago. This type of activity will hopefully spark some further developer interest in the Brookstown project's vacant parcels.

The Winston-Salem Dash is launching what it hopes is the first of many post-season events at BB&T Ballpark to help keep the park active once the minor league baseball season is over. From Oct. 16 through Oct. 31, the team is partnering with Winston-Salem's Peppercorn Theatre on Field of Fears, a Halloween-themed, family-oriented offering with hayrides, pumpkin painting, scarecrow building and more. Dash President Geoff Lassiter said Tuesday that the event is geared toward continuing to provide activities at the park even after the season has wrapped up. Lassiter said the team is researching other similar multiday events, but declined to offer specifics. "We have a facility that we think will attract and have the opportunity to host more multiple-day events like this," Lassiter said

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2 ... l?page=all

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:12 pm 

We won the poll!! :dance:

Fans voted BB&T Ballpark as the best in its class in a competition organized by Ballpark Digest.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2 ... lpark.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:54 pm 

The Dash is reporting record attendance at tonight's game and July 4th festivities: 9,007 fans. The team broke 8k on July 4th on each of the last 4 years, with a then-record crowd of 8,184 in 2014 and a second-place 8,147 last year (per this article: http://ballparkdigest.com/2016/07/05/mo ... h-of-july/). So fun news there!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:50 pm 

The Dash had a news conference today to announce that Chris Paul has joined the ownership group! He has apparently been a life long baseball fan in addition to his great talent in basketball. This is great news as it further solidifies his ties to the area. He had previously invested in the D1 Sports Training center that also is affiliated with WFUBMC. Someone needs to suggest to him to invest in a sports bar in the ballpark development. I could see a big venue with TV’s everywhere with a broad based menu with steaks, seafood along with the typical bar fare. It could be called CP3’s

As a related aside, I came across info that when Geoff Lassiter, the former president of the Dash, was elected president of the Carolina League, the office was moved to Winston from Greensboro. Since GSO’s team is not in the league not to sure why the offices were there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:29 am 

Quote:
the office was moved to Winston from Greensboro. Since GSO’s team is not in the league not to sure why the offices were there.

The Carolina League website still lists Greensboro as the headquarters?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 11:33 pm 

The league office is located where the league president is located. The previous league president lived in the city to the east. The new league president lives in Winston-Salem. This happened last year, if I remember correctly? I really expected the office to already be in Winston-Salem by now.

I'm guessing selling part of the team to Chris Paul is connected to the ballpark village development? Will Chris Paul invest in the development or will the money from selling part of the team help to pay for the development? I know everyone has forgotten about the proposed development from a few years ago, but it's still active and this could be connected to it? I've heard they now have everything in place for the hotel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:27 am 

Sports Business Journal reported by Greensboro Business Journal (related publication, it seems) Winston-Salem BB&T Baseball Park is ninth best minor league park in US. Way to go!

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2019/09/25/triad-city-named-one-of-the-nations-best-for-minor.html?iana=hpmvp_triad_news_headline

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal.aspx

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:51 pm 

I'm surprised no one here has talked about the team's majority owner, The Chicago White Sox, demanding a lower rent or they will leave. The Dash pay one of the highest rents in minor league baseball. I guess our discussion group is more focused on development than sports? They also want ballpark upgrades, which no one is really discussing right now? It does appear as if the team will stay, but this does make it more difficult for teams and cities to gain the voter support needed to build these facilities. I'm surprised there isn't some type of agreement that would require them to pay the high rent even if the team leaves?

In a more interesting development, it appears as if Minor League Baseball is looking into moving all of the neighboring Class A and Class A Advanced league teams in the area into the Carolina League! This would allow Winston-Salem to play the Greenville Drive, Asheville Tourists, Hickory Crawdads, and neighboring Grasshoppers! WOW! That would really increase team revenues, help to fill more seats, encourage super fans to take short road trips to Winston-Salem, and create great rivalries! I'm sure it will save the team money, in travel expenses, too!