WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:39 pm 

Bib's Downtown will close for good at 4 PM on New Year's Eve.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:16 pm 

A message from Haydee Thompson, proprietor of the Wherehouse Art Hotel

Quote:
Welp! I didn't want to ever post this. The Wherehouse Art Hotel will be closing for good at it's current location. I wanted to let everyone know before 2020 is over so we can wrap this one up into how shit this year has been and not start off the new year with this bad news.
In February we were looking forward to the most amazing and successful year yet, both creatively and in business. On March 11 we hosted an outstanding art show (Greg Vore) attended by what seemed like half the town! The very next day, a full 3 month of calendar reservations canceled and we had to figure something out quickly! I looked into hosting healthcare workers right away, (a no brainer really, considering)! I've been so grateful and proud to have been a part of these men and women's lives who have in the past 9 months worked the front lines of this health crisis, I have made life long friends!
This place, otherwise known as "the building", the Wherehouse, the Werehouse, PS211... holds so many memories for a lot of people in this community and beyond! I myself have lived here close to 20 years and run into ghosts of ourselves daily.
I don't know what the future holds for these walls, but if the banks have anything to do with it, it will become lawyers offices or lux apartments and I tried...I really did, to prevent that for as long as I could. I'm incredibly sad, but mostly I'm pissed.
Thanks so much to everyone who has been part of this amazing two+ decades adventure, I love you all.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:31 pm 

And so another unique aspect of DT Winston is extinguished through this unrelenting pandemic! I feel so badly for all the small business owners here and everywhere who are finding their life's work getting blown up by this pestilence. :angry: I'm sad that the health care worker shelter strategy was not enough to carry her through the crises. Sounds like what they had on tap prior to the pandemic will be a case of us looking back in some point in the near future and wonder at what could have been.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:24 am 

Downtown is over-hoteled right now. I think hotels in Winston-Salem are around 49.5% occupied and have around 50% of their usual RevPar (revenue-per-available-rooms). It should be interesting to see if a similar hotel (in downtown's Industry Hill neighborhood) by Will Spencer, called Robert Hall, moves forward? I guess he could slow construction and open around Fall Furniture Market? So far, it appears as if Hyatt Place and Moxy are cancelled and now the Art Hotel has closed. If Wake Forest can do so, it would be nice to see them temporarily close Graylyn, until RevPar recovers, to help other hotels and event spaces.

It sounds as if she may have explored other ideas for the space, but maybe the bank or banks said no? This (Art Hotel) space could be reused to bring visiting artists to the city to create/perform and maybe that could be done at a more affordable cost? It could also become affordable housing for artists, maybe with sponsors to help bring rents down? I'm guessing the space wouldn't need a major upfit for that use? Maybe, when downtown recovers, it could be renovated to performance spaces or an art museum/gallery? Maybe it could be renovated for food-related startups that don't need a storefront? The banks could be open to this idea? Ghost kitchen spaces for restaurants only offering to-go orders could be interesting during COVID-19, which favors to-go. That would be expensive to build-out, though? I think the spaces would perform well in profit. Those spaces are far more in demand than hotel rooms and it can help launch businesses (jobs), including woman-owned and minority startups. It could also lead to new downtown restaurants, as the restaurant industry recovers later this year or next year. It's possible other non-bank sources of money could be available? Co-working space could also be an option?

Last edited by Fourth and Main on Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:46 am 

The Wherehouse Art Hotel occupies the upper floor of Krankies - just to be clear.
There is nothing else in the city quite like it . . .

https://www.wherehousearthotel.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:00 am 

Downtown still needs the visitors to make "any" hotel idea work. Until visitors return, downtown is over-hoteled. I shared updates on the Art Hotel project when it was under construction and it was an awesome project to share with others. I think downtown missed a few opportunities, like creating drive-through attractions in downtown during Christmas and Halloween to bring people to downtown. Imagine if a downtown light show was created for a few blocks of a street in downtown. It could bring a few out-of-town guests to the hotels and a few more customers to downtown restaurants. An art-light attraction like that would likely benefit the hotel with art in the rooms. Yes, some visitors will return home after driving-through the light shows, but if even 15% of those visitors park and visit a restaurant, that helps. If just 7% spend the night at a hotel, that helps. This city has amazing talent in lighting design and could create amazing light shows that would attract visitors. We need to work on more ideas to bring people to downtown to save these businesses.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:27 am 

Fourth and Main wrote:
I think downtown missed a few opportunities, like creating drive-through attractions in downtown during Christmas and Halloween to bring people to downtown. Imagine if a downtown light show was created for a few blocks of a street in downtown.

Been saying this for years - a Downtown version of the Festival Of Lights.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:40 am 

Per Forsyth County GeoData, the Krankies building is still owned by John Bryan (or, rather, an LLC registered to him and Chris Leiser). I hate they weren't able to work something out with the Wherehouse to keep it going, but I guess business is business.

For reference - https://triad-city-beat.com/john-bryans ... al-circus/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:15 pm 

The Possum wrote:
Fourth and Main wrote:
I think downtown missed a few opportunities, like creating drive-through attractions in downtown during Christmas and Halloween to bring people to downtown. Imagine if a downtown light show was created for a few blocks of a street in downtown.

Seen this yet? Holy moly!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:11 pm 

Kowabunga Buffalo Bob - I bet that cost more than $100.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:06 am 

I noticed this weekend that a new retail store named "Soccer Shop" has moved to 532 N Liberty St (next to Reboot). From google it appears that the store has been around awhile but has recently moved to this location. It has good reviews and as a nonsoccer player it appeared clean and had nice merchandise.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:26 am 

Finally . . . a vegan restaurant opening Downtown

From the owner of Mozzarella Fellas:

Quote:
We are thrilled to announce that we are finally moving! Starting Thursday 1/14 we will be re-opening as Dom’s (more about our new name later) in downtown Winston-Salem. Our new address will be 134 N. Spruce Street, and as of next Thursday 1/14, we will no longer be open at our existing space. It’s been a wild ride as Mozzarella Fellas; going from a small Italian restaurant, to the Triad’s first all-vegan brick and mortar restaurant.

https://journalnow.com/entertainment/di ... 1rSHI2GAJM

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:09 pm 

WSBornNBred wrote:

A quick Google search shows that there is a Bossy Beulah's in Charlotte, and it is owned by one Jim Noble (the man behind Roosters/Nobles). If Noble is behind it, the food will be great.

If Noble is behind it, it will never see a dime of my money or that of any of my friends. No hate chicken for me!

https://goqnotes.com/56484/in-response- ... ity-a-sin/

https://triad-city-beat.com/restaurant- ... 15ZMpo5s0Y

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:01 pm 

Ate at Bossy Beulah's on Freedom Drive yesterday for lunch, and it was good. The atmosphere was fast-paced casual, loud, and good quality food and service, which appeals to the young set. The main thing about the announcement to open at the First Street location is that it will finally replenish life to that corner! I love that little area near the medical center (I only wish Rose & Thistle was still in the mix!) Noble knows what he's doing in the restaurant business, as does Frank Scibelli (Wake grad) who owns Mama Ricotta's in Chlt, and Bad Daddy's in Chlt & W-S. This helps affirm Noble's commitment to Winston-Salem with Rooster's and now Bossy Beulah's.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:57 am 

And the new vegan restaurant is opening in one of the worst spaces that seems very disconnected from the actual downtown. In my opinion, that space isn't downtown. It's Holly Avenue Neighborhood. It shares a block with single family homes and there isn't much around it. It will have to be a destination in that location. In good news, it did appear in Eater, as one of the Carolinas most anticipated restaurants.

In other news, Current Co-Working is the new tenant on the top floor of the LTP Building at 210 West Fourth Street.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1309 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88  Next