WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat Aug 24, 2019 8:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: MISCELLANEOUS RETAIL
PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:26 am 

Driving out Reynolda Road yesterday and noticed that the going out of business sale still going on at Roses in Pineridge Plaza. Their closing was noted under the old thread indicating that their lease wasn't renewed by the landlord. It was mentioned by one of the posters that there was word that Harris-Teeter may move into the space from their current site at Reynolda/Yadkinville Rds. However, it struck me that this site would be of a size that would perhaps attract a Wal-Mart Neighborhood Center. They are currently retrofitting the old Borders space on H.P. Rd. in GSO. Wal-Mart did have a proposal a few years back to open a full sized store further out Reynolda near Old Town School. Does this seem like a logical tenant for the space? :dontknow:

Post subject: Re: MISCELLANEOUS RETAIL
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:55 am 

Suntrust Bank has closed their Jonestown Road branch, transferring those accounts to the Medical Park branch on Hawthorne Road. This appears to be a growing trend with banks in culling their "bricks & mortar" locations as more people handle their banking needs on line...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:38 pm 

Agreed.

Although I wouldn't put it all on that particular bank though. BB&T has been gaining share in Winston-Salem. And as a consequence, other banks such as Suntrust and Spank (er...Bank) of America have been losing share. Indeed, this is not Suntrust's home territory. They are a weaker bank than BB&T and they weren't able to go head to head against a strong bank in its home territory.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:14 pm 

Looks like Village @ Robinhood has been poaching from Thruway's lunch...The Painted Frog & Simply Sterling have opened up in the center. Wish them much success although there is still a long way to go to get this center up to a respectable occupancy. Noticed that Gabriella's Pizza in same center has bit the dust. That locale was the site of the franchised pizza joint that I'm having a C.R.S. moment, that opened several locations across the Triad, including Clemmons, and subsequently closed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:27 pm 

Kroger has made an offer to buy Harris Teeter. Bloomberg reports that they plan to keep the Harris Teeter brand and not close any stores. Story also suggests that Publix or other corp might make an unsolicited challenge offer.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:12 am 

Very surprised - I really thought Publix would do this because they want into the area badly (they have opened their Charlotte Division Headquarters - too bad that's not the Winston-Salem Division Headquarters with a full-size store downtown).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:19 am 

I don't think Publix was ever a serious contender. There is substantial overlap between the Publix and HT footprints, especially in Georgia and Florida.

My first guess would have been Ahold (owner of Stop & Shop and Giant), but I suppose Kroger could make a better offer since they are a larger company. In Kroger's home territory in Ohio, there are starting to expand some grocery stores into supercenters in order to more effectively compete with Walmart. I wonder if we could ever see that trend here with a Super HT?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:51 pm 

Might this be Winston's first Publix?? There are two brand new (relatively) Harris Teeters nearby and a Lowes Foods no more than a couple of miles in Shallowford Square in Lewisville. With the Brookberry Farm, Century Oaks, Meadowlark Downs as well as other smaller developments, this would appear to make sense to them. :thinking: :thinking:

http://www.cityofws.org/Portals/0/pdf/P ... /W3200.pdf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:59 pm 

Perhaps, maybe, I hope so.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:47 pm 

I don't think we'll see Publix in Winston for several years; possibly not until the 2020's. Although there is a Charlotte divisional headquarters, they don't have any distribution facilities north of Georgia and I think that a North Carolina warehouse is a fundamental requirement for expansion to this area. For now, the future Publix stores in Charlotte can rely on the Atlanta distribution network, but to expand into the Triad (and the Triangle for that matter), they need a new distribution hub.

I agree with zalo that it's not likely to be a Harris Teeter or Lowe's Food either due to the proximity of those stores nearby to the Country Club/Meadowlark area. Similarly, it's not likely a Food Lion either (which has a location at Lewisville-Clemmons and 421). Unfortunately, eliminating all the usual suspects doesn't leave us with many other possibilities. Perhaps it is a Walmart Neighborhood Market store? Those are typically just grocery oriented (with limited to no presence of non-food categories) and they can be quite attractive in appearance.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:35 pm 

Food Lion is hurting right now, I don't think they are currently opening any new locations... The junior Wally World could be a possibility. I thought that Wal-Mart might be the candidate for the old Roses store on Reynolda, but last time I was out that way, nothing was being done with the bldg. and the landlord was the one to kick Roses out, they wanted to stay.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:42 am 

Deacon Dawg wrote:
I don't think we'll see Publix in Winston for several years; possibly not until the 2020's. Although there is a Charlotte divisional headquarters, they don't have any distribution facilities north of Georgia and I think that a North Carolina warehouse is a fundamental requirement for expansion to this area. For now, the future Publix stores in Charlotte can rely on the Atlanta distribution network, but to expand into the Triad (and the Triangle for that matter), they need a new distribution hub.

I agree with zalo that it's not likely to be a Harris Teeter or Lowe's Food either due to the proximity of those stores nearby to the Country Club/Meadowlark area. Similarly, it's not likely a Food Lion either (which has a location at Lewisville-Clemmons and 421). Unfortunately, eliminating all the usual suspects doesn't leave us with many other possibilities. Perhaps it is a Walmart Neighborhood Market store? Those are typically just grocery oriented (with limited to no presence of non-food categories) and they can be quite attractive in appearance.

Rumor has it that Publix is scouting for sites in North Carolina for a distribution facility and that they're leaning towards the green town to the east for its location. Publix has already announced locations in Asheville, Cary, and there are many other deals that are soon to be finalized for other stores within the state. If I were a betting man, I would say this new development is definitely Publix...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:52 am 

I hope the D.C. goes to Burlington or Davidson County :tup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:09 am 

August 2 news release -
Quote:
Today, Publix Super Markets Inc. announced it will enter the Asheville and Cary markets in North Carolina.

The Asheville store, located in Buncombe County, will be at the southeast corner of Hendersonville and Overlook. The 49,000-square-foot Publix supermarket will include a drive-thru pharmacy and is expected to open in 2015.

The Cary store, located in Wake County, will be at the northeast corner of High House and Davis in the Bradford Shopping Center. The 49,000-square-foot Publix supermarket grand opening date will depend on several factors, including permitting and completion of the store's construction; however, the opening is tentatively planned for late 2014.

"We've made a commitment to North Carolina and its residents to bring our level of stellar service and quality products to market in order to provide customers with the superior shopping experience they deserve," said Maria Brous, Publix media and community relations director. "As company owners, we are passionately focused on our customers. We believe that if we take care of our associates, they in turn will take care of our customers, and together we will make our communities a better place. This is our culture, and we are excited about sharing it with North Carolina just as we have in the other five states in which we operate."
Publix announced its first three North Carolina locations in •Ballantyne, located at Providence Road West and Johnston Road, opening in early 2014 and
•Greater Charlotte, located at the intersection of South Boulevard and Iverson Way, opening in late 2014, and at the intersection of Matthews Mint Hill Road and Lawyers Road, opening in late 2014.

Publix continues to aggressively look for additional locations throughout the state of North Carolina as it strives to meet and exceed the expectations of the communities it will serve.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:09 am 

Joe Riddle of Riddle Commercial Properties:

"Publix has earmarked Charlotte, the Triangle and the Greensboro-Winston-Salem area in its initial expansion plans."

-January 2013

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next