WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Wed May 18, 2022 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:20 pm 

You can see the path of the creeks if you use google maps in the "map" mode. I just typed in "Rams Drive Winston Salem" and here's the map where you can see the creek and Salem Creek. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Rams+ ... 1469?hl=en

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:41 pm 

I think the creek originally ran through what is now Bailey Park, which explains why that area is so low with water rushing down to it in storms. Before the box culvert was constructed, there was a bridge on Fourth Street near Patterson Avenue. This should be the same creek forming the pond in the Innovation Quarter's second phase.

Forum member RoedigerHouse took photographs of the falls this morning, if anyone is interested. It would make an awesome park.

Photographs of the falls: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=619

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:52 am 

I seemed to remember a creek running through parts of downtown, I just couldn't remember where it was located. If this feeds the lake in the IQ that should help keep it from becoming a stagnant lake? I hope they build some fountains or waterfalls in the lake to keep the water moving to help keep down the mosquitos in the summer and it would also add points of interest.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:47 pm 

It appears as if North Main Street in downtown could soon gain a sports-related business, to bring more people to downtown and add to the mix of offerings. The Workhouse is a new startup, by a Wake Forest track-and-field athlete now turned entrepreneur, looking at 532 North Main Street for some sort of gym. Looking at the building, it will be interesting to see what he can do with it. It's also great to see a possible tenant for that block of buildings! Maybe this is the start of revitalizing that block? Maybe we shouldn't get too excited until a lease is signed? I do know two other gym facilities looked at buildings on that block and leased elsewhere in downtown. However, it is exciting to see a potential tenant, opening something not food/drink related, seriously looking at a building there.

Location: https://www.google.com/maps/place/532+N ... 80.2447183
Startup Business Possibly Leasing it: https://www.bizapedia.com/nc/the-workhouse-llc.html
Startup Founder: https://godeacs.com/sports/track-and-fi ... -barr/2788

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:36 pm 

WFDD is reporting that Truliant will lease one story in the Winston Tower, in addition to acquiring naming rights.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:45 pm 

I saw the early renderings for the adaptive reuse of 901 Broad Street (Lesser-Known Beer Company, follow their instragam to see their construction progress photos) and now 905 & 907 Broad Street (I hear one of the popular fitness coaches in town is opening a gym in 905 Broad). I can't figure out where the ExploreWinstonSalem instagram got it from, but if you want to see it they have it in their feed. That area of town is going to continue to see great reuse or infill. Around the corner, they're putting more apartments. There are already some great businesses within a few blocks (West Salem Public House, Sayso Coffee, Washington Park Barber, Acadia Foods, Southside Beer Garden, etc.).

These kinds of reuse are what provide the city neighborhoods with so much great character. Ardmore, West End, West Salem, West Highlands (?) are contining to see new, high-quality local business, which has not always been the case when it came to the high quality part lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:06 pm 

Is this in West Salem sortof behind the Old Salem Visitor's Center?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:46 pm 

wsnc62 wrote:
Is this in West Salem sortof behind the Old Salem Visitor's Center?

Yes - the SE corner of Broad & Walnut.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:00 pm 

It's good to learn of another tenant leasing there! Is the rendering different from the rendering posted here in October? If the rendering changed, I need to change the rendering on the other update I post. Rendering from October: viewtopic.php?p=19473#p19473

That link also has a link to a Google Street View of the buildings to be renovated. I've commented in the past that West Salem is the next "it" neighborhood in Winston-Salem. I think the small residential conversion project, at 500 Wachovia Street, was also approved?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:25 am 

F&M has suggested this several times, so here's a couple of quotes from the Biz Journal that supports his point of view: "Viewpoint: Why cities should embrace life sciences as an economic driver. Several weeks ago, the Boston Business Journal wrote a story about the amount of available and soon-to-be-available office space in that city. A few weeks before, the publication wrote a story about how building owners are looking to convert office space to lab space because demand is unprecedented. These two stories, along with the news that more big office users are pushing back their return-to-office dates, makes me wonder why more cities around the country haven't embraced health care and life sciences as their economic development drivers moving forward." Here's a link to the article: https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/ ... pment.html

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:58 pm 

Fourth and Main wrote:
Northwest Blvd., Mixed-use:
David Eagan https://www.cmc-nc.com has 1040 and 1064 Northwest Boulevard and 1149 Canal Drive under contract and is expecting to close at the end of next month. This site is between Hanes Park and West End Millworks, near the main retail area at Hanes Park. You may know these buildings as Forsyth Tire? These buildings will be renovated into 100 affordable apartments, retail, and possibly office space.

Do you remember this project? It's now under the working name Canal Drive Apartments (subject to change?). The developer will demolish the existing building or buildings and construct a new apartment building with retail space and parking under the building. It will have the usual amenities. Look for demolition to start in the next month or two and for a new building to begin rising around the July 4th holiday (Timelines can be impacted by COVID-19 issues).

So, we have two apartment buildings that could be completed later this year, one that is starting to rise-up, another starting interior demolition, and now four or five more that are starting or about to start the permitting process. And, of course, there is a condominium building we are still waiting for and talk of another 450 apartments in the iQ. Downtown is really booming right now. So many different developers that view downtown as a great market to invest, too!

Building to be demolished for a new apartment building: https://www.google.com/maps/place/1064+ ... 80.2610991

It should be a great location, with a view of Hanes Park and in walking distance of restaurants and retail. Maybe this will reduce the parking concerns in the area, since these residents can walk or bike to the neighboring businesses and park. The building is also designed for cyclists. This is very exciting and a next step for Northwest Boulevard. Will we see this area go vertical with 4-6 storey apartment buildings?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:55 am 

i've always wondered by developers didnt build apartments on northwest blvd, so that's great to see potentially happening. with the restaurants (the porch, hops), breweries (joy mongers & hoots), bakeries (l&h, bobby boy), and Hanes park and no other area to build except NW blvd, it's prime for redevelopment and one of the more walkable areas of town.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:25 am 

Fourth and Main wrote:
Building to be demolished for a new apartment building: https://www.google.com/maps/place/1064+ ... 80.2610991

No tears from me over the loss of this. :nono:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:33 am 

That building has had a “for lease” sign on it for ages, and I’ve always wondered what would even go into that building. It’s not particularly interesting, at least from the outside, and has a very industrial feel in an area that’s not very industrial anymore. Redevelopment makes sense. It won’t help with the traffic on Northwest, which gets quite thick at rush hour, but it’s a popular through-route, so I don’t think a few hundred (or whatever) more people living there will make a big difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:16 pm 

Robinhood wrote:
That building has had a “for lease” sign on it for ages, and I’ve always wondered what would even go into that building. It’s not particularly interesting, at least from the outside, and has a very industrial feel in an area that’s not very industrial anymore. Redevelopment makes sense. It won’t help with the traffic on Northwest, which gets quite thick at rush hour, but it’s a popular through-route, so I don’t think a few hundred (or whatever) more people living there will make a big difference.
I've been inside. It reminds me of the building that now houses Earl's, etc. From what I remember it's one huge open floorplan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 462 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31  Next