WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Thu May 19, 2022 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:46 am 

Fourth and Main wrote:
I posted that in the wrong place and couldn't find it. Could someone please move it and this post to Development Rumors and Observations. It's not downtown.

The tenant for Pilgrim Court I appears to be Frank L. Blum Construction Company's headquarters. It's great to see them growing and needed a larger and more impressive office space. I wish they would consider downtown, though. I would like to see some of these suburban-style office buildings demolished and replaced with industrial/retail/residential and concentrate office in downtown. Pilgrim Court would be a great location for a data center. Demolish the existing buildings and maybe market the site for a data center or consider building the shell for a data center on spec with City assistance offered for the developer.

As somebody who just recently went through the incredibly frustrating process of finding new office space in this city, and as somebody who tried to make downtown work, downtown would have been a non-starter for them frankly. As a construction company, they have way too many people going in and out of the building for downtown to work. While not in construction, I'm in the same boat, and for companies with a lot of employee foot traffic, there are very few buildings in the downtown area that would work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:52 am 

What do you think of a possible distillery, tasting room, and event space at 3401 Indiana Ave (Old Dominion Box Factory)?

This seems to be very serious and has a family member of a big name in the local restaurant business starting it, but I question the site location: https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3401-In ... C/16548703

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:05 am 

The building is beautiful inside with tall wood ceilings and original wood floors and brick walls. It will make for a great event space and the other uses make sense. It will be playing off of the growing development in Whitaker Park of employment and residential. If timing matches up, it could be a good venture to catch the attention of those coming to the area. Of course, it is off the beaten path from downtown but honestly, everything cool cannot just exist downtown. With good marketing and business sense, things can do well elsewhere.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:22 am 

Groundbreaking for the new $20MM+WFU football complex is scheduled for next month.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 3:55 pm 

I thought the article in the Triad Business Journal this morning concerning the housing market given all the economic development news (Boom announcement next week!) was very interesting.

The housing developers concluded the same way some of us have on this site: the big projects will have an impact all around the region. Though there are currently not enough planned new construction homes in the region currently, let alone over the next two years when all these projects (Publix, Toyota, Boom, etc.) come online. This is no different than the rest of the country, but will only be compounded with the projects. This helps to explain all the apartment buildings planned in WS and Greensboro. Good quality of life in both cities and within the 40 min drive of most of these sites.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/ ... mpact.html

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 4:13 pm 

Quote:
(Publix, Toyota, Boom, etc.)
All of which are not in the W-S MSA - Boom, will of course, have some positive effect, no doubt, in eastern Forsyth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:52 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
Quote:
(Publix, Toyota, Boom, etc.)
All of which are not in the W-S MSA - Boom, will of course, have some positive effect, no doubt, in eastern Forsyth.

Kernersville :yahoo:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:14 pm 

[ :alright:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:59 am 

Did I read or hear from somewhere that Collins Aerospace is a supplier for Boom? If so, maybe this is an expansion opportunity, leading to more jobs in Winston-Salem. I think Boom is the more exciting project for Winston-Salem, though some people moving to the Triad for the Toyota jobs may strongly consider Kernersville, since it's a central location allowing residents to enjoy amenities from all three cities. For an outsider, moving to the area, being in the middle is likely to be desirable. Kernersville has worked hard to make itself a better designed place with good attractions and the necessities (like a hospital and VA facility).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:17 am 

From what I’ve been able to sort out, they have a partnership with Collins Aerospace: ‘As what will be the world’s fastest airliner, Overture is designed to meet industry-leading standards of speed, safety, and sustainability. Through this latest collaboration, Boom and Collins will work in concert to develop inlet, nacelle, and exhaust system technology that enable fuel-burn reduction and cutting-edge acoustics.” From what I’ve been able to uncover thus far is that Collins does the engineering/design and then sub-contracts the manufacturing of these components to several companies located in California, Connecticut, New Hampshire, and Virginia. I’ll keep looking to see if I can uncover any additional information.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:31 pm 

These are three great projects for N.C. and the so-called Triad, but I reiterate that all of these projects are outside the W-S MSA though Boom benefits will spill over into eastern Forsyth (Kernersville - and while hopefully F&M, I doubt Toyota will have much effect west of southern Guilford).

My point is the W-S MSA needs a project (major economy shaking) like one of these three IN the W-S MSA preferably eastern or southern because contrary to potential opinion I certainly prefer to keep the Yadkin Valley “bucolic,” that is, wine country but elevated to the level of Napa Valley.

One might insist I am myopic in view because I concentrate on the W-S MSA and not the so-called triad, but I do not believe (observe) W-S is treated fairly in that arrangement not the least of which is likely the fault of inept leadership, I reckon. Never mind that business is business and that there is no such thing as fairness. What’s the saying “fairness is something created by the weak to hold the strong at bay.” I should very much like to see the State take a more active interest in attracting big projects to the western Triad as well as the eastern triad.

Last edited by yadkinv on Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:08 pm 

nothing like the great ol'fields of Yadkin Valley....if only they grew something other than muscadine. long live the sweet crappy wine!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:11 pm 

Another way of looking at things:

Greensboro MSA's projects are all blue-collar warehousing and manufacturing. Yes, there will be a few office and maybe engineering jobs, but mostly forklift operators, people mixing chemicals, operating machines, and assembling things. Something that requires speed, some danger, and being cheap... to compete with manufacturing in other countries.

Winston-Salem MSA did have a few very big wins and they are in the white coat medical field. Eastern Forsyth County was able to take the fast-growing PTI Area's hospital! Likely the highest paying job prize for that area. I think Cone was preparing for it, but wanted to wait until the airport area grew more. Novant Health surprised Cone by being very aggressive and locating it right at the county line, so it served Kernersville and fast-growing western Guilford. There was also the VA Facility, which they (VA) wanted near the center of the Triad (airport area). The Veterans Home was actually named "Greensboro" and Greensboro politicians fought for it and bragged about it being a win for Greensboro and somehow eastern Forsyth County was able to take it! And the other new hospital construction in the Triad was located around Clemmons, with two new facilities! Yes, Winston-Salem MSA took all of the new hospital construction, in all of the most desirable areas for it, and the main hospitals some patients could be referred to from those smaller hospitals are in Winston-Salem. Winston-Salem and the Winston-Salem MSA, interestingly, was able to become the healthcare center of the Triad. Those are likely the best jobs in the area (pay very well and aren't likely leave) and they are facilities that do expand. They also position Winston-Salem to be a center of healthcare research and tech. If you look at the largest employers in most metro areas, including Charlotte, a hospital or hospitals are usually in the top-5. In the Triad, it's usually hospitals and government. These facilities also have suppliers and businesses that work with them. Many of those who hold those jobs are very well educated. Hospitals also factor into where people live and where some businesses locate.

Did you know: The nearly half-billion-dollar 12+ storey Atrium / Wake Forest Baptist Tower was ranked by Dodge Construction Network as the largest institutional project in the United States to enter planning in November. WOW! Think of the high-paying jobs from that project! Add to that a nearly quarter-billion-dollar construction project at Novant Health Forsyth Medical Center! Atrium alone is spending $3.4 billion in Winston-Salem. WOW! And then look at the two research / medical education centers they are proposing downtown! Those are big wins!

I'm guessing, as businesses struggle with hiring, robotics / technology improves, and businesses have to do more with fewer people to cut costs, these factories and warehouses may not reach those impressive employment numbers. Just a guess. The battery factory is likely most at risk of this, as they look for ways to cut the costs on the most expensive part of an electric vehicle (the battery). Did Dell ever reach their impressive numbers? Did Caterpillar ever reach theirs? I've seen big projects in Charlotte and Raleigh that had to give-up incentives or some of their incentives for not reaching their big numbers. I think a call center in Greensboro also had to return or lost incentives for not reaching hiring goals? If there is something to be jealous of, it's that the factory and warehouse projects can be taxed, although hefty incentives are usually property tax cuts, so they may not gain much in tax revenue? Also, the downtown Winston-Salem facilities are usually privately owned, even if they have Wake Forest on them, so they do pay taxes... and also have incentive deals to reduce them.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 6:12 pm 

Quote:
.if only they grew something other than muscadine. long live the sweet crappy wine!
I must agree that muscadine wine is not to my liking either. On the other hand, muscadine wine is about 90 percent produced in eastern NC (there are a couple in the Yadkin Valley). "Yadkin wines showcase the classic varietals, such as: Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Grigio, Viognier and Riesling. Malbec and Tannat also play an important role in the valley, along with some hybrid grapes, such as Cynthiana, Traminette and Chambourcin." You are misinformed if you think Yadkin Valley wines are "crappy" as they are now some of the best in the country. I remind that Yadkin Valley was the first appellation granted east of the Rocky Mountains or maybe that was east of the Mississippi River.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:09 am 

yadkinv wrote:
Quote:
.if only they grew something other than muscadine. long live the sweet crappy wine!
I must agree that muscadine wine is not to my liking either. On the other hand, muscadine wine is about 90 percent produced in eastern NC (there are a couple in the Yadkin Valley). "Yadkin wines showcase the classic varietals, such as: Chardonnay, Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Sauvignon Blanc, Cabernet Franc, Pinot Grigio, Viognier and Riesling. Malbec and Tannat also play an important role in the valley, along with some hybrid grapes, such as Cynthiana, Traminette and Chambourcin." You are misinformed if you think Yadkin Valley wines are "crappy" as they are now some of the best in the country. I remind that Yadkin Valley was the first appellation granted east of the Rocky Mountains or maybe that was east of the Mississippi River.

I've been to most if not all of what the Yadkin has to offer, unfortunately so far the Llama's vineyard was the only interesting one and that was due to the llamas. It's a cute side hustle for Yadkin for sure, and I'm glad it pulls in some tourists (I know a few people on here think we should advertise it more, but i think there's a good reason they haven't overly sold it yet), however, it's insulting to compare Yadkin to anything on the west coast (Napa, Sonoma, Walla Walla Valley in Washington, Willamette in Oregan) or any of the other well-recognized wine regions in the US (New York and Virginia are much better for example, damn Texas might be better). The Charlottesville VA wineries are way ahead of anything NC has to offer. You can actually drink those wines at a party or over dinner with friends.

I'm hoping western Forsyth has a second or third option for economic development in case it doesn't turn into Napa 2.0. :help: Unfortunately, western W-S MSA turned into the white flight area (Lewisville & Clemmons) and will continue to struggle to greatly impact the ED of the region due to a number of reasons, but let's save that for another day and stay focused on our great red blends i've never seen actually served in a restaurant or dinner party.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 617 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42  Next