WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:54 am 

The architect really likes it: http://www.bbm-arch.com/team/rachel-maher-ncidq-iida/

BB+M Architecture wrote:
FAVORITE PROJECT THAT YOU’VE WORKED ON:
LINK 4TH STREET

Reading her comments, I'm thinking: That can't be the final design? They must be working on an amazing redesign we haven't seen. She is saying this is her favorite project of all the projects she has worked on. Sadly, this project is experiencing National Cycling Center / Brookstown District type delays and missed start dates. I'm close to placing it in that category. I'm now wanting to dig into the delays and see if this is really happening. If you have any details, please share them with me. You can send me private messages to hide your identity.

It appears as if they will add conference facilities to the GMAC Tower, which is something I wanted to see happen.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:13 am 

If this bland piece of crap is the best they can come up with for this prominent site, I’d rather they not start it and walk away, selling the land to another developer who could bring a better project. I’ve said before that this site should be dedicated to a high rise mixed use project that could incorporate residential (be it rental or for sale units.) along with a hotel component. 4/5 stories of residential over 4/5 stories of hotel would at minimum be the highest & best use. I would like to include office in the mix but I think we can all agree that is not viable, what with the current vacancies in One West Fourth/Wells Fargo/Winston Towers. Not to mention the available WFIQ properties.

I was fine with a Link design such as they’re building in the IQ, but this rendition is devoid of any of the interesting features they’re currently building at Fifth & Patterson. This is totally not the right look for that CBD location. I believe F&M had mentioned in the past that Sky House is being rescaled for possible development in smaller markets like ours. Wish we could get some interest from them.

Let’s all pray for delays :pray:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:51 pm 

Too short for this are of downtown IMO. Looks out of place and forced. This would be better in the IQ , Goler or Liberty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:59 pm 

Quote:
This would be better in the IQ , Goler or Liberty.
This would be better at Hanes Mall or anywhere away from downtown.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:01 pm 

This style of apartment looks like those built in every downtown of decent sized cities in America. When we reach a critical mass, the height of our buildings will take care of its self. I welcome right now, anybody that wants to spend $40 million in our downtown. I would not care if it were doghouses stacked on top of each other. Our major companies are not doing much in developing downtown, so others are welcomed.
The density of our downtown is not much different from our suburbs, so who wants to pay the expense of building up. Land is still plentiful and cheap downtown.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:49 pm 

LynnAikens wrote:
This style of apartment looks like those built in every downtown of decent sized cities in America. When we reach a critical mass, the height of our buildings will take care of its self. I welcome right now, anybody that wants to spend $40 million in our downtown. I would not care if it were doghouses stacked on top of each other. Our major companies are not doing much in developing downtown, so others are welcomed.
The density of our downtown is not much different from our suburbs, so who wants to pay the expense of building up. Land is still plentiful and cheap downtown.

Exactly! I don't have a problem at all with this architecture. More importantly, it's filling in a void that currently exists with the parking lot. It will help connect Fourth Street downtown with the West End. It will also add hundreds of new residents to downtown. This will no doubt help support existing businesses and will make the downtown area more attractive to new retail, restaurants and entertainment options. Bring it!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:50 pm 

Quote:
When we reach a critical mass
Agreed, I've used this in posts as well. But, what is critical mass (population - downtown, then city, then county, and then metro area, which does not count anything east of Forsyth County)? No doubt different for each place and dependent upon a heap of variables. I know what I think is critical mass for W-S, but should be interested to know the thoughts of others.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:54 am 

Link Innovation Quarter shows they can create better designs for these wood-frame apartment buildings if a design review/approval is required. We really need a design review board. Better design protects and enhances the investments made by others and makes the city more attractive for future large or larger investments. One day, when every city has these and they all age, the cities with better design & materials will stand-out from the pack in attracting more people and investment. Link IQ tells us we can do this, right now, with the same developers and same architects. We just have to require it. I would place the design review requirement in the Winston Overlay area and apply this review to both renovations of existing buildings and new construction. It shouldn't be too extreme, since that will turn-away developers. Maybe consult with WFIQ in creating the review, so it's good for prospective developers, other investors in CRE, the city, residents and works well with the neighboring Innovation Quarter. What WFIQ is doing seems to work well in acceptance by developers/architects and good design. I would start by talking with them. I do know they have a design review / good design requirements.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:31 am 

For what it’s worth, I noticed recently that the parking lot, site for the proposed Link Fourth Street, was closed off completely with a sign stating that the parking lot is now “closed”. Workers from the tower renovation had been using the lot for their vehicles. No one is using the lot now. The Fourth Street and Spruce Street entrances are chained off.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:34 am 

Link Apartments will move forward at the Fourth Street site, as originally planned. Any issues are worked-out. If I find a rendering with any changes, I'll share it! The rumors of it moving to one of two other nearby sites and two news reports on one of those other two sites had me a little concerned we would never see anything replace the parking lot on Fourth Street. It's great news to see this parking lot will be replaced! Now, we are waiting for the demolition permit.

I've heard a big delay at Link Apartments Innovation Quarter was the discovery of foundations and parts of previous buildings at the site? Knowing a retail store with basement was demolished at this site, do you think they will find a similar problem at this site?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:13 pm 

Start date for construction ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:11 am 

super happy to hear of this moving forward. Was downtown tonight and the vibe is still very active despite B-40 closure. Knock on wood, this lull will actually be good for downtown as businesses thrive despite the shutdown making it all the more attractive for next wave!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:01 am 

Demolition/construction could be three or four months away?

Closing Business 40 was expected to send more traffic down low volume streets, possibly generating more money for downtown businesses? Has it increased volume on downtown streets?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:05 pm 

Grubb Properties is providing $15,000 for public art at Fourth and Spruce streets, as they prepare to move forward with Link Apartments Fourth Street. Research is currently underway on the history of the site to find ideas for the new public art.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:43 pm 

Fourth and Main wrote:
Grubb Properties is providing $15,000 for public art at Fourth and Spruce streets, as they prepare to move forward with Link Apartments Fourth Street. Research is currently underway on the history of the site to find ideas for the new public art.

LOL I hope it's not another cheesy, romanticized, historically inaccurate mural of what used to be there.