WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Link 4th Apartments
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:33 pm 

Starting a new thread since the apartment building is not on 5th Street or owned by GMAC or FLOW.

Post subject: Re: Link 4th Apartments
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:12 pm 

Makes sense, I was going to and then I decided not to.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:36 am 

I think Grubb Properties have their office in 500 West 5th? They worked together on this combined project at its start, but I think they are now building each half separately? It's part of the same project, but they should be discussed separately. This forum is designed to talk about projects separately and it makes it easier to find the different projects, find past information on them, and see how they changed over time. The moderator should move all the posts on this project to this thread.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:30 pm 

I posted this a while back on the "Art Board". This is the horrible sculpture that is proposed in front of the new Link 4th Apartments building. I'm so disappointed in this selection it still makes me sick. The "Art Committee" passed this through without even blinking (my original post in the other board included a youtube link of the meeting. The city just posted this call for sculptors on their Facebook page and the comments are in line with my opinion.

https://www.cityofws.org/DocumentCenter ... 217?bidId=

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:58 pm 

Seriously, you must be joking. Why is it so difficult to get classy sculptures in the so-called City of the Arts?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:58 pm 

Get rid of whatever that pvc pipe looking thing is on top and the weird leaves and it might be ok. Or just scrap and start over.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:10 pm 

smain wrote:
I posted this a while back on the "Art Board". This is the horrible sculpture that is proposed in front of the new Link 4th Apartments building. I'm so disappointed in this selection it still makes me sick. The "Art Committee" passed this through without even blinking (my original post in the other board included a youtube link of the meeting. The city just posted this call for sculptors on their Facebook page and the comments are in line with my opinion.

https://www.cityofws.org/DocumentCenter ... 217?bidId=

I hate it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:58 pm 

I like it fine. Not overly conceptual. Fine proportions. Much better than heavy-handed capital-a Art.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:26 pm 

Who TF puts a sundial under a roof?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:46 am 

The Possum wrote:
Who TF puts a sundial under a roof?

Indeed! :roll: Just a hot mess, scrap it & start over.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:32 am 

Originally, it had a swing and some illustrations showed a bench. When it won, I thought... downtown will finally have a swing and people will enjoy using the swing in nice weather. A swing seemed like a nice addition to downtown. Then I looked at the winning illustration of it and it had a sundial and the swing that made it a nice addition to the sidewalk, was gone. As usual, things like swings or water features are always removed. With a sundial it seems more like a sidewalk obstacle/obstruction, like "Bulky Item Pickup" set out for the City to collect. I was told it could have anything in the middle and what will be in the middle isn't decided, which likely means it won't have anything in the middle. I would like to ask her to bring back the swing. To fight for the swing! She is a good interior designer. With a swing in the middle, it becomes a nice addition to downtown. Without the swing, it's Bulky Item Pickup.

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are others who like it with the sundial. I may like it after it's built? I'm expecting it to have nothing in the middle, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:37 am 

It looks like someone threw Winston-Salem's history in a dark closet and that's what it came out dressed like. What's the roof? Does is symbolize the sculpture in Old Salem that's only been there for around 5 years? The metal leaves seem delicate and pointy. I can see children and the bar crowd poking their eyes out or scratching themselves in such a prominent location....and of course damaging it.

99% of the comments I've read/heard are against this piece. If this is what we receive from the Public Arts Committee I say don't waste our resources.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:22 am 

The fact that this thing will be constructed using corten steel alone is enough reason not to like it. There is no beauty or inspiration from something that looks like it’s already rusted, and will leave stains on the sidewalk the first time it rains!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:04 am 

smain wrote:
99% of the comments I've read/heard are against this piece. If this is what we receive from the Public Arts Committee I say don't waste our resources.

The Public Arts Committee is supposedly comprised of learned professionals and this is what they endorsed?!? I agree don't waste the money if this is the best of what was presented.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:34 pm 

Yikes. I completely retract my comment. if this is going to be made from that awful pre-rusted steel, I hate it. Have never understood why artists gravitate to that material. From the rendering I thought it was going to be painted/anodized...

Yes, stained sidewalks and likely some stained jacket sleeves too. Rust is just not purty imho.