WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 8:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:00 pm 

The Possum wrote:
Fourth and Main wrote:
Grubb Properties is providing $15,000 for public art at Fourth and Spruce streets, as they prepare to move forward with Link Apartments Fourth Street. Research is currently underway on the history of the site to find ideas for the new public art.

LOL I hope it's not another cheesy, romanticized, historically inaccurate mural of what used to be there.

I second that. It will be interesting to see what Fam Brownlee comes up with.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:43 pm 

There is now a "zoning letter" for the never built "Link Apartments Fourth Street" site? The current owner of the site has Grubb Properties address and the applicant for the zoning letter is from Warrenton, VA., in the Washington, D.C., area? The applicant seems to be a due diligence company? Are they selling and if so, will we see the larger project I heard about (next to the convention center)? Will Grubb completely walk-away from Flow's multi-site project and sell? I guess we shall see? This project has stalled-out for years. If Grubb is selling, the good news is: If there is a zoning letter, there is a buyer and the buyer is likely in Virginia or Washington D.C., near the company they hired to perform the Due Diligence.

Company Involved in Zoning Letter: MK ASSOCIATES, INC. https://www.mkassociates.com/zoning

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:49 am 

Seems unlikely, as the building plan review process for the apartments planned for that site is still pending and the most recent activity was last Tuesday, Feb. 5. They're only waiting on approval of the fire, building, and plumbing plans. Unless they made the decision in the last week or two, it seems like it is probably still moving forward.

Although, I do find it a bit odd/curious that despite moving forward with review and approval of those plans, I haven't been able to find an application for a demolition permit for the shorter tower on that site. In fact, CBRE currently has a listing for space in that building. Maybe overall plans for the site have changed.

Also, the permit for the 500 W. 5th sign by SignArt issued on Jan 31. I'm excited to see that up on the building.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:03 pm 

Fourth and Main wrote:
There is now a "zoning letter" for the never built "Link Apartments Fourth Street" site? The current owner of the site has Grubb Properties address and the applicant for the zoning letter is from Warrenton, VA., in the Washington, D.C., area? The applicant seems to be a due diligence company? Are they selling and if so, will we see the larger project I heard about (next to the convention center)? Will Grubb completely walk-away from Flow's multi-site project and sell? I guess we shall see? This project has stalled-out for years. If Grubb is selling, the good news is: If there is a zoning letter, there is a buyer and the buyer is likely in Virginia or Washington D.C., near the company they hired to perform the Due Diligence.

Company Involved in Zoning Letter: MK ASSOCIATES, INC. https://www.mkassociates.com/zoning

This project has not stalled out for years. Don Flow hasn’t even owned/controlled the property for 2 years yet. He closed on it May/June of 2017. The negotiations Grubbs had with the city regarding their incentives for the project indicated that development of the site was projected to start a year after approval which would place it right around now.

I also noticed that CBRE was marketing the original 6 story Integon Building. This could be great if the developer pushes the apartment building upward to fit on the parking lot portion of the property. We could maybe end up with a 9/10 story building?!?!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:03 pm 

Someone from Grubb Properties (Can't find a better source than that!) said the demolition of the former Security Life & Trust Building will begin in May and they still plan to build the apartment building. Nothing on what the Zoning Letter is for, so "maybe" (me guessing) it is financing related, similar to the Pepper Building Zoning Letter in 2017? I do know they have their own funds you can invest in to build these projects. I seem to remember, when they were seeking investors for the fund this project is in, they said this was a good project due to the Innovation Quarter? It's amazing to see the impact of the Innovation Quarter on projects that are several blocks away, like this apartment building and some of the hotels.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:34 am 

Link Apartments 4th Street
Opportunity Fund development has now arrived in downtown Winston-Salem! Grubb Properties secured financing through their new 2019 Opportunity Fund. The details on the apartment project from the Opportunity Fund describe it as 224 units, with a permanent parking easement. This project also has 15 years of tax abatements. The developer is currently applying for a 42-year fixed-rate HUD loan. They also say this project was in the works for four years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:58 am 

The opportunity fund mechanism is enticing and I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the hiatus we saw last year was actually folk holding off launching new projects until all the rules and mechanisms were in place. 4th and Broad (and Green!) is the next big target.

As always... if anyone knows the folk who are managing the wasteland at 4th and Green, could you please implore them to clean it up and take down that eyesore of a chain link fence? It’s really a slap in the face of a neighborhood that’s been waiting patiently since the failed Krispy Kreme project to see its main gateway along 4th St. revived.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 8:13 am 

This forum needs something big to discuss...

Of course I have renderings of something big!

Link Apartments 4th Street:
A WSTB Exclusive! This is the final rendering for this project. It is so much better than the rendering we previously discussed in this thread, last Summer! The new design has a pop of color, with yellow accents, and features a lighted fin, rising the full height of the building and rising above the cornice. This gives the building a little more height! It has lights outlining the southeastern corner balconies and around the cornice and part of the parapet, which should help it stand-out on the skyline at night. I also see up-lighting and interesting design details. Notice the amenity balcony on the top floor. Both this project and their Innovation Quarter project are among the best new wood-frame 'mid-rise' apartment buildings I've seen in any city. Grubb Properties is really adding nice structures to downtown. These are better than their other Link projects in other cities! First move-ins are scheduled for August 2020 and completion is set for December 2020, if the project stays on schedule. I think that schedule has the developer pulling demolition permits this month for the former Security Life & Trust Building?

WSTB Exclusive: Updated Renderings and Project Details

Compare this design to other similar new wood-frame buildings in other cities, nationwide. They should consider adding a spire, with a Streamline Moderne base, to the top of their lighted fin. Don't forget: The developer is contributing money for public art at the leasing office entrance to this building. We could see a $40,000 sculpture, themed around the history of this site.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 12:17 pm 

This will change the whole feel of that section of 4th Street! I see that the building is flush with the sidewalk,hooray! This is worth losing the "GMAC lot" (free and easy parking) for! I can't wait to see this project get started. That parking lot has been a gaping hole in our downtown for too long.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:07 am 

I didn’t hate the previous rendering as others around here did but do have to admit this more recent one is a definite upgrade.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:25 am 

I appreciate the effort to make this a bit more interesting than the usual, especially the lighting feature.

But I remain dismayed that these ticky-tacky boxes are becoming ubiquitous. We’ll look back at them in the same way we do at 70’s ranchers. They reek of economic imperatives and cookie-cutter sensibilities.

While I continue to pine for something resembling courageous design and construction, I do have a little tiny voice of sympathy for the poor “architects” whose only choices are variations in color and cladding, slight wiggles in fenestration and balconies, and a few value-engineered embellishments.

While I’m not sure exactly how to accomplish it, I still wish that this central, prominent location could get a structure with a unique and durable character.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:09 am 

Actually, this looks pretty good and probably the best W-S can hope for presently.

Quote:
While I’m not sure exactly how to accomplish it, I still wish that this central, prominent location could get a structure with a unique and durable character.

And with 20 floors at least!

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 12:14 pm 

This latest rendering does improve on the previous one, so for that I am thankful. I continue to believe that this site's highest & best use would be for a 10+ story mixed use building with ground floor retail, several hotel floors and topped off by multiple floors of condos/aprts. It's unfortunate that only 6 stories will rise from this site as it is one of the best locations for a high rise in downtown.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 11:52 am 

I am actually glade to see only a six-story building go on this site. If there is a need to have a high-rise it will still exists at a later date and site. Building a new high-rise several blocks from one of our current tallest buildings (GMAC Tower) would spread the tall buildings apart, giving our skyline a more impressive look. All we need from this building is to fill that gap and to put more people living in that area… nothing more.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:12 pm 

To make the solar design features of 500 West 5th work properly, Grubb Properties must build an 8-storey building on this site. 8-storeys on the south facade, fronting Fourth Street, and 7-storeys on the north facade, facing 500 West 5th. The former Integon Building's solar features are designed around a 6-storey office building with office floor heights and a tall parapet being next to the skyscraper. Instead, Grubb is demolishing that building and replacing it with a 6-storey residential building with shorter residential floor heights and no tall parapet. On the side that fronts 500 West 5th, the apartment building will only be 5-storeys with shorter residential floor heights and no tall parapet. The original 1976 design won't work properly with a shorter neighboring building and they really need to scale-up the apartment building for this reason. The 500 West 5th mechanical floor, on the 7th floor, lines-up with the parapet of the building being demolished. These vents shouldn't be visible from the south and the 5th or 6th floor windows should also be in the shadow of a neighboring building. There is also a setback designed around the building being demolished.

Does it need to be a skyscraper? No. Does it need to be two floors taller? Yes. Will they do this? Not likely.

Skyscrapers designed by these 'starchitects' are designed to be art. 500 West 5th is a piece of modern art designed in the mid-1970s by a famous California-based starchitect. When you alter something it was designed around, you change the art and how it was intended to be viewed. In this case it is further altered by changing how it was engineered, too. Sort of like going to an art museum and bending the wires on a work by Calder. While I don't think we should keep the former Security Life & Trust Building, we should build its replacement to an equal height so the design and engineering is how it was intended to be.

Yes, 500 West 5th is a piece of modern art by a famous artist. Architecture should be thought of in that way. The skyscrapers are a big part of Art & Innovation for Winston-Salem. I've heard people in Charlotte give nice compliments on Winston-Salem's downtown architecture and how progressive the city is in architecture, even compared to their own city. I believe the future buildings constructed by the Innovation Quarter should also be viewed as contributing art to the city. The skyline really is a big public sculpture everyone visiting the city will see. 500 West 5th was designed by the same architect that designed Los Angeles' Capitol Records Tower, their Cinerama Dome, and Dallas' Reunion Tower Observation Deck (lighted dandelion that became a symbol of their city when it was added to their skyline in 1978).

What Grubb is building is likely the best apartment building we could ask for at this site and I thank them for spending so much time and money on the design. We'll see how it impacts the design and engineering of 500 West 5th. I do thank Grubb for building this and would like to see them continue to add these high-quality designs to downtown. I'm guessing this is the tallest they can build within their budget and the tallest they can build and keep the rents reasonable?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next