WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 10:40 am 

Looks good to me

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:49 pm 

Demolition has started at the Security Life & Trust Building. They are removing panels from the top. It's great to see progress on the Link Apartments 4th Street project! Did you know: The metal grates at the top of the Security Life & Trust Building are designed as a light feature and the top of this building would light-up at night on the skyline. I tried to find a photograph of this, but can't. I wish they would've repaired the lighting and maybe turned them on for a few months before demolition. It's too late now, since these lighted parapet grates are the first items thrown in the dumpster.

A number of grocery stores have looked at downtown and there is an effort to bring one downtown. Most of those involved expect it to happen in the next four or five years. The reason we don't have one right now is due to finding the right size space, the right amount of parking, and if it must be new construction, the right sized lot. The number of available big developable lots in downtown is small. This is one of the few. At this site, they can construct a space of any size the grocer wants and provide abundant deck parking. It's said this site was acquired for this use, though I don't know if that is true or not? If this does happen, it should be interesting to see what happens to Kingz Market and Washington Perk & Provision. I would expect a beer den or similar feature, since downtown grocers often have a massive selection of beer & wine. 36,000 square feet is a large store. That is about the size a grocery store was before they grew into themed all-in-one destinations. So many grocers want to become restaurants, with already prepared food, and you really don't need that in a downtown setting. I do think the 12,000 or 20,000 square foot stores are a little small. If this store is 36,000 square feet, that is a great size. With this location, they could build a full-sized store! I do agree with those who think some of this could be a battle to keep a competitor out. Though much of it is active recruitment by downtown leadership.

The variety of uses and size of what is being discussed has my attention. Will this be a 6-storey building above Fifth Street and maybe 7-8 floors above Sixth Street? Could it have some height to it, with both office and residential added to a nice sized grocery store and a big parking deck? Could it become something larger? it's most likely a 6-storey building above Fifth Street, but I'm daydreaming of something taller. I was talking with a friend who said downtown Winston-Salem lost its mojo in the category of building tall. I agree with that. It would be nice for Don Flow to help downtown get it back. Building tall was a big part of downtown's identity until recently. That is why I expect to see six-storeys. It would be nice to see something bigger.

It should be interesting to see what impact this has on downtown development. Right now, one of the reasons some people don't select downtown apartments and condominiums is due to not having a grocery store nearby. If there is one nearby, how much of an impact will it have on demand for new residential units? Will we see more developers interested in building new downtown residential? Will apartment and condominium development shift to the north, advertising this grocery store as a close amenity? In suburban settings, grocery stores are the foot traffic anchors that attract other retailers. Will this bring other chain retailers into downtown? Will more people in West End shop at this store instead of their usual store? Think of people from neighboring office buildings, doing their shopping or some of their shopping near work, increasing downtown sales and making downtown more attractive for other retailers. If you're parked in the deck serving the grocery store, this is a chore you can mark off your list almost instantly and maybe buy fresh to cook when you arrive home, instead of buying days of food and freezing it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:34 pm 

Construction fencing is now up around the Link 4th Street site...the parking lot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:32 pm 

Demolition of the 6-story building has begun; first apartments to be available for rent by the third quarter of 2021:

https://www.journalnow.com/business/par ... b7625.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 3:34 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:28 pm 

From
WinstonWatchman:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:52 am 

Thank you for this update!
Native Camel wrote:

I'm guessing the wire above the demolished section is part of the building's original parapet lighting system? The decorative panels along the top were backlit in the 1960s. I've never seen these lights working, but there are 1960s photographs showing the backlit parapet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:44 am 

Demo contractor tried to pull down a large portion of the building next to 500 W this morning, but unfortunately, it did not fall into the middle of the demo site. Instead, it buckled in place and a portion damaged the stone facade and broke windows at the 500 W building. I have a video and a few pictures but not sure how to upload.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:17 pm 

Use an image sharing site like imgur and post the link. YouTube for the video.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:23 pm 

A friend working in the 500 West 5th Building said they had advanced warning and there was a loud boom that shook everything in the building, with a massive dust cloud. I think this friend said it was around 8 a.m.,? I would like to see what it did, if you can share the images.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:09 pm 

https://www.journalnow.com/gallery/news ... 48.html#13

About 12 pics down you will see the damage. It looks worse in person.
Yeah, they planned that one well.... NOT.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:50 pm 

Who else is excited to see Link@Fourth Street?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:41 am 

I'm very excited! Three possible cranes on the skyline by next year and this project won't be a Texas-doughnut. This project will have some parking under the building, which is very impressive. Of course most of the parking will be in the deck across the street. Looking at the construction schedule, I think they are two or three months behind? Most likely due to COVID-19?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 8:17 pm 

Fourth and Main wrote:
I'm very excited! Three possible cranes on the skyline by next year and this project won't be a Texas-doughnut. This project will have some parking under the building, which is very impressive. Of course most of the parking will be in the deck across the street. Looking at the construction schedule, I think they are two or three months behind? Most likely due to COVID-19?

What three sites are you thinking would have cranes? I can think of four:
1. The Easley
2. Kaleidium Children's Museum
3. Link Apartments Fourth Street
4. County Court House

We're talking about more than $200 million in just four projects in downtown W-S.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:50 am 

Half of those projects are county government (non-taxable) projects, which the City is having more discussions about, recently. I don't know if Kaleidium will have a tower crane or not, but The Easley Apartments and Courthouse will likely have tower cranes on the skyline. It will be interesting to see if the presence of a skyscraper on the Link Apartments' block leads to a luffing jib crane being used. Construction planning at that site becomes interesting when discussing the use of a crane.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next