WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 9:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:57 am 

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_538b58e4-5eeb-11e3-8a0e-001a4bcf6878.html

The article mentions off-line for a couple of years, but necessary and a $30 million pricetag. The article mentions the recent Arts District proposal, but I wonder if the $30 million is part of the $80 million or in addition. I voted yea, but the nays are prevailing - quell surprise in W-S.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:29 pm 

This was included in the Theatre District plan.

I think the state should pay for this. It's state property and I'm guessing it's tax exempt. If they do agree to pay some taxes and can find a way to make it profitable for the city, I would do it. If UNCSA is interested in building a new construction downtown PAC, I would strongly consider some type of deal, as the new facility would become a foot traffic generator and attract additional tax revenue generating development. I do remember a forum member speaking of a new 3,000 seat PAC in UNCSA's plans for their main campus and that seems surprising, since they have the Stevens Center. I have no inside knowledge of this, but it's interesting. Maybe this is an early step to show the Stevens Center is expensive to maintain and outdated and should be replaced? I will agree that the lobby doesn't look like a grand 1920s movie theatre at all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:24 am 

Fourth and Main wrote:
I will agree that the lobby doesn't look like a grand 1920s movie theatre at all.

It did before they butchered it in '83.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:02 pm 

Today we learn the restaurant in the Stevens Center was allowed out of their lease and it appears as if UNCSA won't lease the space to a restaurant again. It appears as if something is happening here. This is happening as the GMAC Complex and Journal Site are being sold. Could UNCSA sell the Stevens Center to the mystery developer (possibly Trammell Crow?) and sign a lease for the theatre? I haven't seen any progress on raising the $30 million needed for renovations? I was just suggesting this (selling the Stevens Center to this developer) a week or two ago, as a way for UNCSA to renovate the Stevens Center. I'm sure the mystery developer wants Mercantile Plaza (with the former WSJS Building) and if this developer buys Mercantile Plaza, they are buying the area UNCSA would use for their expansion. It could leave UNCSA no choice but to sell? Mercantile Plaza was the proposed location of a new elevator core for the tower, to expand the lobby. You may remember the project included a cheesy chevron roof over Mercantile Plaza and the Black Theatre Hall of Fame was also a "proposed" tenant.

Please move this thread to Projects & Construction. This is discussion of a proposed construction project and could possibly become a major multi-block development?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:46 am 

Eric Muck, the chef/owner of Augustine's Bistro, told the Journal that he's closing due to slow business. I'm disappointed to hear that as I had read somewhere & posted on here that he reportedly spent something like $250,000 on that space. :shock: Not sure where all the money was put into the space (kitchen?), but I really hate that he made such a big investment in downtown and it didn't work out for him. Not to mention that if what F&M is saying with regards to the Stevens Center renovations probably removing the restaurant space, then all that money was spent for naught.

Ate there a few times during both the tapas and bistro incarnations. Could never seem to put our finger on it as we never had anything I would consider bad tasting but the food for whatever reason didn't elicit a Wow factor from me & the missus.

Should the Stevens Center rehab require removal of the restaurant, which I recognize as probably necessary for lobby space considerations, I would hate to lose that restaurant space. Especially the outdoor patio, which is one of the absolute best outdoor spaces downtown, only rivaling its orphaned patio space neighbor on the other end of the block, now brutally imprisoned by the good folks at Community Arts Cafe' :tdown:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:24 pm 

That is a shame about Augustine's... That spot has been oddly difficult for restaurateurs. We've seen many try and fail over the years. I wonder if part of the problem is that big and unappealing back dining room. You'd think, though, that they could do a pretty satisfactory business just off the patio and very pleasant front space.

Augustine's first incarnation as Mundo didn't seem to have a great business model but I'd hoped that their reboot would do better.

As Zalo notes, it is truly frustrating to have that other patio lie fallow -- I've been hoping that, come warmer weather, the arts cafe people would resurrect it. Here's hoping!

Last edited by walker on Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:15 am 

Quote:
I wonder if part of the problem is that big and unappealing back dining room
Hmmm, we always asked for, actually insisted on that room, as we found it quite appealing, but we haven't eaten there since Diolis (we really liked Diolis). This is all very interesting - so, does anyone have any particulars on the Stevens renovation?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:45 am 

I think the Stevens Center should just take out the restaurant and turn it into a nice lobby with more space for people coming to shows. The space could be rented out for events as well. I have seen this done at other theaters across the country. The space never lent itself much to restaurants because the outside awning structure made the entrance not very welcoming. As for Augustines, it had nothing to draw you in. The space was not well decorated and the name/food type/everything just didn't make you feel like you were missing something by not eating there. Sorry for the owner but it was doomed from the start.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:53 am 

I think the Stevens Center should just take out the domed awning and put back a neon marquee similar to the one they removed during the 1983 butchering of the exterior.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:18 pm 

The Possum wrote:
I think the Stevens Center should just take out the domed awning and put back a neon marquee similar to the one they removed during the 1983 butchering of the exterior.

Wouldn't that be just grand! I've seen historic photos with the marquee that said "CAROLINA" down the side of the building and looked rather similar to what they have outside the Tennesse Theatre in Knoxville. (I don't know how to insert the image, but seen at url here - ) http://wutkradio.com/sites/wutkradio.co ... c01163.jpg I wish they'd put something like that back on the building.

I've been very concerned about the upcoming renovations after reading this quote from Robert Moody in the August 2014 Winston Salem Monthly: "There’s been talk of fully renovating the Stevens Center in the near future; I’m talking, tear it down to the four walls." http://www.journalnow.com/winstonsalemm ... f6878.html I'd be devastated if they tore out everything inside. They couldn't, they wouldn't! Right?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:55 pm 

I'd love to see that sign back as well although I don't recall it being lighted, but perhaps it was lighted.

I certainly hope the lobby and especially the mezzanine are not destroyed in any renovation.

Welcome to the forum!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:28 pm 

Look for a return of the theatre's marquee. That appears to be a part of the proposed renovation. I've noticed the mayor and others seem to be intensely pushing for historic tax credits, though it appears as if all of Winston-Salem's big vacant structures have secured tax credits? What if buildings currently occupied by... lets say... The Journal or UNCSA... were bought by a developer? They would need tax credits for the former Carolina Hotel and/or the Journal's Independence Hall structure? I've also noticed Centennial moved-out of Mercantile Plaza? It does appear as if that block is vacating in preparation for something? Maybe it's just coincidence? I am very observant though and I'm noticing this.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:13 pm 

The mayor continues to appear aggressive in bringing back historic tax credits and doing so as soon as possible? Now I've heard he is openly supporting a bill to allow cities to offer money for historic renovations? Can't the city do this anyway? I must not fully understand the bill? Maybe someone here can explain this? I do have a feeling there is a BIG project that needs tax credits NOW and Joines is trying to make it happen? I'm guessing it's the Stevens Center/Journal Block? These are the last large buildings that aren't grandfathered.

Meanwhile, in Georgia... The state is trying to offer more to developers of historic properties. It will help with a massive adaptive reuse project in Savannah. Maybe that would work for North Carolina? Find a powerful state politician and have an adaptive reuse developer "propose" doing something trans-formative with an old building in that politician's area and say if tax credits aren't available, the developer has to walk away from the project? :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:09 pm 

I was just reading this article on the Carolina Theatre and really enjoyed the photographs - http://cloud.lib.wfu.edu/blog/heardithe ... ince-1929/

Love that marquee!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:40 pm 

Thank you for posting this very interesting article and photos.

Quote:
also – the balcony was for “negroes” only. I remember looking up from below and wondering about that, as my family was new to the South and its segregation (I am white)

From a comment on that website, but it is not true. Specifically, it was the upper or second balcony that was "for Negroes only." The balcony, while not always open was for anybody when crowds warranted. The second balcony with side entrance (marquis and all) on Marshall Street was used during segregation.