WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roar
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:32 pm 

There is talk that Hank Perkins is in negotiations to buy the Gothic-Revival Automotive Associates Building (Originally Twin City Motors) at Liberty and Seventh streets, across from AFAS and Twin City BBQ Factory. This is among the last sizable historic buildings to be renovated. I've heard people have made offers in the past and the owner didn't want to sell. It is important for this building to be restored and not cheaply renovated. This is one of downtown's most loved buildings. Tax credits can pay for part of the restoration cost. Please contact Preservation North Carolina before doing any work! Local residents and downtown leaders also need to make it well-known they want an accurate restoration and not a cheap renovation.

See the building: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... 376c7ad!5s

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:50 pm 

Fourth and Main wrote:
There is talk that Hank Perkins is in negotiations to buy the Gothic-Revival Automotive Associates Building (Originally Twin City Motors) at Liberty and Seventh streets, across from AFAS and Twin City BBQ Factory. This is among the last sizable historic buildings to be renovated. I've heard people have made offers in the past and the owner didn't want to sell. It is important for this building to be restored and not cheaply renovated. This is one of downtown's most loved buildings. Tax credits can pay for part of the restoration cost. Please contact Preservation North Carolina before doing any work! Local residents and downtown leaders also need to make it well-known they want an accurate restoration and not a cheap renovation.

See the building: https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... 376c7ad!5s

I love that building.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:08 pm 

Fourth and Main wrote:
Tax credits can pay for part of the restoration cost. Please contact Preservation North Carolina before doing any work! Local residents and downtown leaders also need to make it well-known they want an accurate restoration and not a cheap renovation.

Can you name an accurate restoration done by Perkins?

Me neither.

His previous projects in the area look like holy hell.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 pm 

I always thought it was a architecturally gorgeous building. It would be great offices with the big wide windows looking over the street and park.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:39 pm 

I can see residential on the top floor, retail in the Liberty Street level space and parking down below where the garage is located.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:58 am 

I always thought it would make for a great site for an oversized sports bar/gaming arcade with a full service restaurant. A true regional destination with bowling lanes & billiards downstairs.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:58 am 

I always thought it would make for a great site for an oversized sports bar/gaming arcade with a full service restaurant. A true regional destination with bowling lanes & billiards on the basement (Main Street level)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:17 am 

zalo wrote:
I always thought it would make for a great site for an oversized sports bar/gaming arcade with a full service restaurant. A true regional destination with bowling lanes & billiards on the basement (Main Street level)

Yes! This sounds like a great idea! It would make a fun, family friendly area and would be a perfect compliment to Camel City BBQ Factory next door and the Artivity Park across the street.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:42 pm 

I'd prefer it be used for anything except another bar or restaurant. Downtown has plenty of both. Maybe a grocery store or other retail . . .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:33 am 

I'm beginning to think someone local will have to create their own trendy downtown bowling alley? I don't think any of the chains are interested, based on WFIQ not attracting one after years of effort to do so. I've seen other cities with "one location" (non-chain) locally-owned trendy downtown bowling alleys. Someone local likely will open one of these trendy bowling alleys, eventually. When that does happen, those who didn't do it will likely regret not attempting to open it. It would be nice to see the owners of Camel City BBQ Factory open a bowling alley in the Twin City Motors space, to prevent a competitor from doing so in the near future (these bowling alleys have a lot of what Camel City BBQ Factory has). With all of the talk of helping startups, it would be nice to see a local effort to identify needed entertainment and restaurants downtown doesn't currently have and maybe help people startup these businesses and help those businesses become self-sustaining in 6-12 months.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:59 am 

I'm not so excited about bowling alleys - takes a heap of space and seems suburban to me. Although, there was at one time a duckpen alley behind (and entered through) Manual's restaurant (I think that was the name) beside the Winston theater.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:18 am 

Manuel's . . . they had those little jukeboxes at the tables and the best coffee. I miss that place!
The duckpin bowling alley was in the rear. The Nissen Building had a miniature golf course in the basement at one time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:32 am 

I visited this place, last year, and it was awesome: https://www.thepaintedpin.com

Imagine a bowling alley like that in downtown Winston-Salem. If it's a local person, creating something unique to Winston-Salem, it would be even more awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:43 am 

I reported on rumored talks between Perkins and the owners of the Twin City Motors Building three months ago, on this thread (click here to see original post). Hank Perkins appears to have purchased the Twin City Motors Building and its parking lot from Starbuck Ventures. The property was sold this week. It should be interesting to see what he does with it. I'm concerned he will replace the original windows with cheap replacements. I really want to see this building accurately restored. If Perkins is reading this, tax credits are available to cover a large part of the cost of an accurate restoration. The upstairs area even has pulleys and rotten belts from the manufacturing operation on the upper floor. Early advertisements said the Ford Cars were "Twin City Assembled." I'm guessing that took place upstairs? It would be awesome if those could be preserved. Is there anyway Preservation NC or the Historic Resources Commission could step-in to be sure it's accurately restored and the developer knows about programs like the state and federal tax credits that can help with the cost to do it right?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:41 am 

Fourth and Main wrote:

Twin City Motors Building
Hank Perkins is now starting work on the Twin City Motors Building. He has hired Pilot Environmental (http://www.pilotenviro.com) to start interior demolition work by removing some of the lifts. I guess they can leak fluids and those fluids still inside the lifts need to be properly disposed of? Looking at the company hired, I'm guessing they applied or are in the process of applying for brownfield status? I think they give notices in the paper when they do this, so check your newspaper!