WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SECCA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:09 pm 

Lynn Felder/Winston-Salem Journal

Mark Leach, executive director of the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art, will step down at end of December, according to the N.C. Department of Cultural Resources. In December of 2007, SECCA became an operating entity of the N.C. Museum of Art, which is under the purview of the department. A month later, Leach became SECCA’s executive director, coming to Winston-Salem after more than 15 years as an administrator and curator at the Mint Museum of Art and Mint Museum of Craft + Design in Charlotte. One of Leach’s first decisions was to reinstate SECCA’s original free-admission policy, and in his first year, he oversaw a $1.8 million project to repair galleries and adjoining structures.

Gordon Peterson, president of the SECCA board of directors, has worked with Leach for 1½ years. “He is leaving to pursue other interests,” Peterson said. “I will be working in the transition phase.” Leach is on vacation and could not be reached for comment. The state cultural resources department and SECCA will work together to find a new executive director. “I assume the state will put out the job description, and they start to receive entries, and it goes from there,” Peterson said. Lawrence J. Wheeler, director of the N.C. Museum of Art, selected Leach back in 2007. “Mark has been a valued colleague in shepherding SECCA through a multifaceted transition to a sustainable future,” Wheeler said in a statement from the cultural resources department. “Improvements in the physical campus and innovations in exhibitions, programs, and education are admired throughout the community and across North Carolina.”

Milton Rhodes, former president and chief executive of the Arts Council of Winston-Salem and Forsyth County, worked with Leach throughout his tenure. “The quality of what Mark has done has been outstanding and gives me hope for the future of SECCA,” Rhodes said. “He is a terrific curator. “I love what he did getting the public to understand the arts and the importance of SECCA during the year that SECCA was closed for renovations. “He did civic engagement using art and artistic expression to explain what was going on. He inspired us with different ways of looking at art.”

I guess 7 years is a good amount of time. Although it seems curious that his reason for leaving was a little opaque.

Post subject: Re: SECCA
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:12 pm 

Amy Ray ( half of Indigo Girls) is coming to SECCA on Wednesday. Its a fantastic venue without a single bad seat. Affordable tix and a n early curtain. Should be a great show!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:34 am 

https://wsfairgrounds.com/event/2022-indoor-concert-series-mothers-finest/?instance_id=549

Musical Memories of my youth ( and perhaps yours ) coming to town in July. If this band is anywhere close to where they were in the early 80's this will be one hell of a show.

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:30 am 

Tom Patterson minces no words about SECCA and the local art scene in what is, sadly, his final column for the Journal after 34 years . . .

https://journalnow.com/entertainment/ar ... -PdomHJKJE