WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Gears & Guitars
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 10:37 am 

This week-long music series that coincided with the cycling event was a huge success. Bailey Park was busting at the seams with thousands of concertgoers for each event.

Post subject: Re: Gears & Guitars
PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 5:55 pm 

smain wrote:
This week-long music series that coincided with the cycling event was a huge success. Bailey Park was busting at the seams with thousands of concertgoers for each event.

It was, indeed! Imagine that area with Bailey Power Plant up and running! I'm sure most people that attended an event in Bailey Park have no idea what is about to happen with BPP.

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:54 am 

Downtown and Bailey Park were incredible this past weekend. What a great event bringing thousands of people downtown!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 9:34 am 

WSNC wrote:
Downtown and Bailey Park were incredible this past weekend. What a great event bringing thousands of people downtown!

Second that! Merschel Plaza wasn't too shabby either.

The Gin Blossoms

We saw most of the concerts and I thought just about all the bands were great and the crowds were enthusiastic. Bailey Park was an incredible sight, and the final concert with O.A.R. was awesome. I can only imagine the scene when Bailey Power Plant is finally rehabilitated.

Here are a couple of Bailey Park from Saturday night (I think)

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:56 pm 

Went to Infamous Stringdusters and Trampled by Turtles last night, it was a gas!

Really, really recommend this weekend’s music to any and all. It’s lovely to sit or lie out on the park, take in the surroundings as night falls, and listen to good music with tasty snacks and cold brews. Life it is good! The lawn is big and the slope such that you can choose how intense an experience you want — standing up at the stage, sitting on chairs a ways back, or relaxing on the lawn well out of the throng...

It’s just so thrilling to watch a national act with the buildings of downtown as a backdrop!! Even if you can’t go, consider buying a ticket as a tithe to the city of arts!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:19 am 

Gears and Guitars was interesting this year, especially when compared to last year.

The big change was Friday night where the racing was done on 4th street but up by Spruce, Marshall, Cherry, etc. which makes a lot more sense for a “drag race” than the IQ due to the streets being a bit flatter than that part of downtown. The music the first night was also up more towards this part of downtown and took place on Marshall wedged between Winston Square Park and First Presbyterian’s administrative office.

It was interesting to see how the music traveled around downtown from this location being so much narrower and more confined than Bailey Park and it was interesting to seeing this part of downtown completely shut down for car access.

I get what they were trying to do having the music in this location, expanding Gears and Guitars throughout downtown rather than just having it be in IQ. I also think that going forward, they could continue to do this, but it needs a lot of work in both promotion and logistics. I know that many people, including ourselves, were thrown Friday night when they realized that the concerts the first night were in a completely different location. That’s fixable and is just on bad communication from the event.

On the actual concert, I think that the Marshall Street location could work in the future, but it needs to be for the smaller bands that nobody cares about, not the admitted headliner of the weekend.

Having local beer at the concert was a nice change after last year's bottled domestics, but the location and lack of availability created incredibly long lines for booze that snaked through the middle of the crowd and the heart of the street. Having a small lawn chair army in the heart of the street breaking up spacing and walking with people standing all around them also is a headscratcher.

Last year watching Mule in Bailey Park was incredibly cool. Seeing an Allman brother playing in the park just felt like such a positive step for the city’s music scene and I thought that the park worked incredibly well for a concert of any size and allowed bigger acts to play comfortably with families and kids still having space. The energy at the park just felt amazing, hard to properly describe.

Seeing Dawes on Marshall was honestly just kind of a letdown. They’re an incredible band and the type of band that Winston should be getting consistently, it just felt like a missed opportunity to build on the positive momentum from last year (and really 2019) for no good reason. I walked away from the concert happy to see Dawes, especially in Winston-Salem, but with absolutely 0 desire to ever see anybody perform on Marshall Street again in my life. Logistically it’s a nightmare, and from an ambiance and energy standpoint, it was incredibly weak especially knowing the venue just right down the bottom of 4th street.

Now, I’m not sure how Saturday went or what attendance was like at the concerts then, but I’m assuming that it was bit reserved due to the weather and the slate of musical acts.

I think Gears and Guitars has the most potential to create the “buzziest” weekend in Winston-Salem the fastest. Tuckfest at the Whitewater Center in Charlotte is what I’m looking at as the potential for the event from a music standpoint, and honestly seems achievable for Gears and Guitars in a few years. They’ve shown over their history they can get big acts, if they could just get all the headliners they’ve had the last few years and get them all on the same weekend and have that happen multiple years in a row, we’d be really onto something.

Add in the random years where you get “lucky” and hit it with a big Wake home football game or homecoming and you’re talking about one hell of a weekend.

One other thing that has continued to be a point of conversation between my girlfriend and myself is that we can’t believe that they race the race on the roads that they do. They rip down 7th street turning right onto Research which is just a terrible road to drive down, let alone race a bike down. Research is fine, but the stretch of 5th that runs alongside Plant 64 also isn’t the best section of pavement. Especially with the conditions on Saturday, it was wild to see the speed they went without anybody taking a hard fall (that I saw).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:24 pm 

I've never been involved in the organization of an event like this, but I thought it was a bit of an odd weekend with the Folk Festival going on in Greensboro. I suspect each event attracts a similar crowd and figure they might have cannibalized one-another.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:56 pm 

It had a huge social media presence this year