WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Public Art
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:18 am 

Downtown gained two awesome pieces of public art and I'm surprised no one reported on it here?

http://yesweeklyblog.blogspot.com/2014/ ... ntury.html

Yes! Weekly wrote:
The celebration of the installation of the works by Chuck Ginnever and Beverly Pepper will be held at the Milton Rhodes Center for the Arts at 11:00 a.m., Wednesday, March 19. Arts Council and City of Winston-Salem officials will participate. The public is invited.

Dovecote (1972) by Chuck Ginnever

Here are more details on the artists:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Pepper
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Ginnever

Post subject: Re: Public Art
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:10 am 

Yuck

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:59 am 

I must agree Possum - I'm sure it's art, but it ain't me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:45 am 

Rusted steel has never pleased me. We have enough brownfields already!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:08 pm 

I don't mind the form or overall look of this sculpture, it's the rusty finish that I do. What is it with Winston-Salem and rusty artwork? Between this thing and the UNCSA sculpture by Richard Hunt, I'd like to see something with some color that is inspiring. Bronze, stainless steel or aluminum have a happier weather life. These rusty things look like they're already several decades old.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:43 pm 

wsnc62 wrote:
I don't mind the form or overall look of this sculpture, it's the rusty finish that I do. What is it with Winston-Salem and rusty artwork? Between this thing and the UNCSA sculpture by Richard Hunt, I'd like to see something with some color that is inspiring. Bronze, stainless steel or aluminum have a happier weather life. These rusty things look like they're already several decades old.

Agreed. That too is my biggest drawback to the piece; that it is rusty which in my view makes it look like scrap. I have no issue with the form/shape and believe it was made with a different finish that it would make for a better looking piece of art.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:02 pm 

It's called Cor-ten steel. The oxidation (rust) will actually protect it. There are some cases of it continuing to rust though, so keep that in mind, if you use the product. Atlanta's Omni Coliseum is likely the most well-known fail of the product. Did you know: The tallest building in Pittsburgh was built as the corporate headquarters for the inventor of Cor-ten Steel (US Steel - USS) and is clad in Cor-ten steel. When it was built, it stained the sidewalks and seemed to rain rust down on everything.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com

I would love to see something more colorful too. I was hoping the work from the famed Beverly Pepper wasn't Cor-ten steel, but it appears as if it is. These are still two awesome artists to have work from and to have it downtown in a setting where it can be enjoyed for free is great! I do want to see Pepper's sculpture on my next trip.

I think this is art that has been in storage for years? It would be nice if the city could find something in storage for the Civic Plaza project? I remember Reynolds had an interesting sculpture that disappeared a few years ago? Have they returned the work to the plaza area or is it in storage?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:10 pm 

There used to be a metal sculpture thingy in the Federal Building Plaza that you could "ride" on if no one was looking. That has disappeared as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:03 am 

Not sure if this has been previously posted, but here's a publication from the city about the need for public art planning in Winston-Salem:

http://www.cityofws.org/Portals/0/pdf/p ... 140626.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:15 am 

https://www6.cityofws.org/sirepub/cache ... 115338.PDF

It looks like a "Sculpture Walk" could be coming downtown. I love this idea!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:23 pm 

The link doesn't seem to work for me. All I see is an error message. Can someone post a description of what is planned and any interesting images from it? The local news sources seem to be behind on covering downtown stories. I remember Jim Sparrow speaking on a sculpture walk a few months ago. It's good to see these ideas move forward as actual projects and not just remain on paper as possibilities. I've long wanted to see an annual international sculpture competition on Fourth Street, with big prizes, artwork that would change every year, and locals selecting the winners. I think Sparrow has talked about doing this too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:59 am 

A "Sculpture Walk" is being proposed by the Arts Council for Winston-Salem's central business district. The "walk" will consist of 10-20 privately-commissioned sculptures selected by way of a process managed and funded by the Arts Council. Sculptures will remain on display for a designated period of time, after which time a new set of sculptures would be commissioned and installed. The sculptures will be placed on permanent pedestals funded by the Arts Council and installed in the public rights-of-way.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:50 pm 

New sculptures at Corpening Plaza

Article about sculptures
http://myfox8.com/2014/09/06/sculpture- ... -unveiled/

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 1:24 pm 

Thanks for the photo. These sure are small, are they not? The smashed organ pipes of the Tannenberg organ that Old Salem found in the attic of Home Moravian, before the restoration, come to mind. I'd rather see a larger, single sculpture fronting the waterfall ( a la Prometheus at Rockefeller Plaza in NYC) that one could see from the expressway, and at night. I'll reserve futher judgement until I actually see these things ( that I understand extra money was raised for).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:15 pm 

I think the fundraiser was to build bigger sculptures? According to their Power2Give page, they reached their goal.