WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Wake Forest Sports
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:13 pm 

Quote:
Lawmakers from Forsyth and Guilford counties have introduced a bill that would spend $10 million over two years to revamp the veterans memorial at the entrance to Joel Coliseum.
From an article in WSJ. Since this is seemingly a Wake Forest Project, why is the State being asked to help fund it (OK with me)? And, Forsyth and Guilford - what don't I understand about this? Oh wait, I forgot, Wake Forest gave the former W-S Coliseum to Greensboro.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2019 12:24 pm 

Just a friendly reminder that Wake Forest is hosting the 1st & 2nd rounds of the Division 1 NCAA Men's Tennis starting this week. Nice economic boost for the Camel City.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:15 am 

Wake Forest football is now 3-0 after a huge win over UNC last night on ESPN (6:00PM Friday game). They also opened their new $50,000,000 sports facilities yesterday that are said to rival those of Alabama. The commentators on ESPN last night raved about the facilities.

https://news.wfu.edu/2019/09/13/wfu-ath ... acilities/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:22 pm 

Great start this year - watched the game - wonder what, if anything will come of the so-called blown referee's 1-second call?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:51 pm 

Wake is smarter than most people want to admit. They picked a perfect opportune time to make a debut with the new sports center, with an in-state rival coming to town, and on national TV. Didn’t get to see the game, but followed it on my phone. Good job Deacons!

The sports complex, along with the Flows’ work at the Integon Building proves there is a new generation of givers in Winston-Salem!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:06 pm 

wsnc62 wrote:
Wake is smarter than most people want to admit. They picked a perfect opportune time to make a debut with the new sports center, with an in-state rival coming to town, and on national TV. Didn’t get to see the game, but followed it on my phone. Good job Deacons!

The sports complex, along with the Flows’ work at the Integon Building proves there is a new generation of givers in Winston-Salem!

Ben Sutton's impact on the city cannot be overstated.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:45 am 

Wake Forest lost nothing when Jamie transferred. Jamie Newman opted-out of this season with Georgia and will enter the NFL Draft. For Wake Forest Football, I would like to see Jamie do well in the draft and become a star in the NFL. It would be good for Wake Forest Football recruiting.

It's also great to see the Notre Dame game in Winston-Salem, where it belongs. Even if it doesn't have any fans.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 11:23 am 

Cool https://journalnow.com/sports/college/wfu/taste-test-wake-forest-unveils-deacon-brew-in-opening-football-game-at-truist-field/article_fb3a1b1a-0d12-11ec-8609-c36b14bab9c0.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1 but one would think that WFU would partner with a local WS brewery on such a venture. But, I know nothing of business I reckon.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 12:55 am 

Why does this not surprise me???? I guess the next thing we will hear is that WFU is opening a 2nd engineering school in Raleigh????

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:10 am 

There was some discussion of this on social media. In my opinion, it's hard to find fault without knowing the full story. Foothills is likely the only W-S brewery that could handle the quantity needed(perhaps Wise Man...?). And Foothills might have been approached and might have been not interested or just not able to make the numbers work. Or maybe Foothills wasn't approached, but there are other things here that made sense for Wake to select this brewery (i.e., maybe it was founded by WFU alumni).

Without knowing the full story, it's hard to get too upset.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:22 am 

WSBornNBred wrote:
There was some discussion of this on social media. In my opinion, it's hard to find fault without knowing the full story. Foothills is likely the only W-S brewery that could handle the quantity needed(perhaps Wise Man...?). And Foothills might have been approached and might have been not interested or just not able to make the numbers work. Or maybe Foothills wasn't approached, but there are other things here that made sense for Wake to select this brewery (i.e., maybe it was founded by WFU alumni).

Without knowing the full story, it's hard to get too upset.

This is my first official post here and it seems fitting that it's in the Wake Sports section, so, hey everybody!

Just wanted to jump in on this topic and I agree with the above post.

Foothills is realistically the only brewery in town that could have handled the production and distribution of what Wake was probably aiming for. There's also been a pretty longstanding relationship between the school and the brewery so I have to assume discussions occurred at some point and for whatever reason, it couldn't happen. I obviously would have loved to see it with a local brand, but as stated above, without knowing the full story, it's hard to get too upset.

I'd also point out that of the three schools (that I know of) in the state that have a beer only one has it brewed in town.

NC State's Old Tuffy is by New Belgium out of Asheville.
Wake's getting theirs out of Raleigh.
App State's Yosef Golden ale is by AMB in Boone, whose master brewer and co-founder is an App grad (and had a strong connection with the school since founding the brewery) and was released in Aug. '19. It's worth noting on this one that AMB was sold in 2018 to the Craft Beer Alliance which at that point had ~33% ownership by AB InBev. AB InBev fully acquired the Craft Beer Alliance in August '19.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:36 pm 

Welcome Deacfan. Hope to hear more from you. As they say, the more the merrier! I agree that if a local brewery wanted or could handle the business, that Wake would have “Bought Local”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6