WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ACC Tournament
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:20 pm 

Does anyone in the forum know if any Winston-Salem hotel is hosting an ACC member school for the tournament? The city to the east cannot, in my calculations, have enough hotels or rooms for 8-9 schools and their fans, unless the conference is dipping into budget accomodations.

Post subject: Re: ACC Tournament
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 12:32 pm 

From the TBJ. I hate that Winston could not get the tournament. But sounds like Durham put out a very strong bid. Congrats to the Bull City.

The Atlantic Coast Conference baseball championship will be at Durham Bulls Athletic Park through 2018, the league announced today.

The agreement covers four championships, beginning with next year’s tournament and running through the 2018 season.

The 2014 tournament will be at NewBridge Bank Park in Greensboro starting Tuesday. Greensboro placed a bid for more tournaments to be played here.

“Our membership had a desire for the championship to find a home, and through its bid, Durham displayed its abilities to be that home," Commissioner John Swofford said in a news release. "They showed a commitment to enhancing the event with their facility upgrades and their extensive promotional campaign with the Triangle Sports Commission and Capitol Broadcasting.”

The ACC baseball championship has been held in Durham eight times, including three of the past five years. In 2013, tournament records for single-game attendance (11,329) and championship game attendance (8,697) were set. The 2013 championship drew 58,454 fans, the fourth highest total in league history. Durham Bulls Athletic Park began a $20 million transformation this year. The park has a new playing surface, improved field lights, new seats, additional group picnic areas and upgraded video displays and sound system. Among many concessions upgrades is Jackie’s Landing, a 10,000-square-foot social space along the first-base line that features themed food and beverage stands that allow fans an uninterrupted view of the game. The "crown jewel" of the renovations is the 5,000-square-foot PNC Triangle Club, an upscale space that provides a new level of exclusivity for premium ticket holders and groups looking to host special events.

They also announced that the Womens BB Tournament in Greedsboro thru 2022. Must have really dropped their pants on this one. Although Swofford could be throwing a bone to that crowd since the men's tournaments and other sports tournaments are getting placed in other cities. I'm sure Matt Brown & Co. were loudly whining that GSO is home to the conference offices wah, wah... I surprised Charlotte didn't go strong for the women's BB tournament.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:53 pm 

OUCH!

Quote:
"There's no value in playing in Greensboro. None. "

http://www.wxii12.com/article/syracuses ... ro/9108815

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:09 pm 

And,
Quote:
It's there because the league's been there and the office is there, and they have 150 people that the ACC needs. That's why it's there. It should not be there."
yikes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:56 am 

Please retire.

He got lucky with the one year he had Carmelo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:56 am 

Kudos for the social media manager for G'boro, though. Their clapback is what's dominating the story.

https://twitter.com/greensborocity/stat ... 6518294530

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:26 pm 

zalo wrote:
From the TBJ. I hate that Winston could not get the tournament. But sounds like Durham put out a very strong bid. Congrats to the Bull City.

The Atlantic Coast Conference baseball championship will be at Durham Bulls Athletic Park through 2018, the league announced today.

The agreement covers four championships, beginning with next year’s tournament and running through the 2018 season.

The 2014 tournament will be at NewBridge Bank Park in Greensboro starting Tuesday. Greensboro placed a bid for more tournaments to be played here.

“Our membership had a desire for the championship to find a home, and through its bid, Durham displayed its abilities to be that home," Commissioner John Swofford said in a news release. "They showed a commitment to enhancing the event with their facility upgrades and their extensive promotional campaign with the Triangle Sports Commission and Capitol Broadcasting.”

The ACC baseball championship has been held in Durham eight times, including three of the past five years. In 2013, tournament records for single-game attendance (11,329) and championship game attendance (8,697) were set. The 2013 championship drew 58,454 fans, the fourth highest total in league history. Durham Bulls Athletic Park began a $20 million transformation this year. The park has a new playing surface, improved field lights, new seats, additional group picnic areas and upgraded video displays and sound system. Among many concessions upgrades is Jackie’s Landing, a 10,000-square-foot social space along the first-base line that features themed food and beverage stands that allow fans an uninterrupted view of the game. The "crown jewel" of the renovations is the 5,000-square-foot PNC Triangle Club, an upscale space that provides a new level of exclusivity for premium ticket holders and groups looking to host special events.

They also announced that the Womens BB Tournament in Greedsboro thru 2022. Must have really dropped their pants on this one. Although Swofford could be throwing a bone to that crowd since the men's tournaments and other sports tournaments are getting placed in other cities. I'm sure Matt Brown & Co. were loudly whining that GSO is home to the conference offices wah, wah... I surprised Charlotte didn't go strong for the women's BB tournament.

Multiple media reports that Winston-Salem is in the running for the 2020 ACC baseball championship and for future years. Durham Bulls Athletic Park has had to drop out of consideration due to a change in scheduling policy for teams playing in the International League, meaning the Bulls as a member of the League & an AAA affiliate of the Tampa Bay StingRays are no longer able to block off the number of days required to host the tournament leaving the event up in the air. Apparently Durham Athletic Park was awarded additional years beyond 2018 as referenced above. Per the Durham Herald-Sun, the economic impact of the tournament pumped $9.6 million into the Durham economy.

The Dash & Visit Winston-Salem submitted a bid back in October 2018 and a site visit has already occurred. A vote by the ACC's baseball committee will determine the site & dates for future tournaments, an announcement should be made by Sunday afternoon. Commissioner John Swofford told the Raleigh News & Observer last week that Durham had been very good to the conference and that the league has a "T to cross and an I to dot here and there but in a couple of weeks, we'll announce not only the destination for next year's baseball tournament but a number of other championships as well".

Although seating capacity would be less at the Dash vs Bulls Stadiums, through the first 3 days of this week's tournament, the largest announced crowd was for the 4318 for Thursday night's WFU/NCState game, well within the Dash's seating capacity of 5500. Its unclear whether the league is looking for a multi-year contract or if the tournament will bounce around from year to year. Wake Forest isn't a part of the bid proposal but their new AD John Currie is strongly supporting the local efforts. He is quoted as saying Wake would be thrilled to have the ACC baseball tournament in Winston-Salem. " Winston-Salem has a first-class reputation as a host city. Look at what's happened here in the last few years, to put things on. The NCAA tennis championships last year were an incredible success and has really elevated Winston-Salem. The Winston-Salem Open and the success of that event...Anything we can do to promote the tremendous facilities of our city is good." {Perhaps he will light a fire under Matt Brown's *ss regarding the promotion of the LJVM for various concerts/events}

East of Colfax didn't submit a bid for 2020 but are interested in future dates.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 2:19 pm 

Greenville, SC submitted a bid and might be our chief competition. Charlotte, like Durham and Louisville, will not be able to bid due to the schedule.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 5:42 pm 

That may not be good news. Greenville SC had a long stretch hosting the tournament from 1987 to 1995.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 6:05 pm 

Yeah, both Winston and Greenville have some pretty strong positives. Greenville has held it before, has a larger ball park, and has a great downtown. It would also help keep Clemson happy. Winston has an ACC team, is the more convenient city for the NC and Northern ACC schools (UVA, VT, Syracuse, BC), has held recent NCAA events with success, and also has a great downtown. I'm hopeful that our downtown hotels will be the difference maker.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 11:44 am 

Charlotte it is, after all. The article I read from the Clemson insider said that they could not bid due to International League policy.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 1:31 pm 

WSBornNBred wrote:
Charlotte it is, after all. The article I read from the Clemson insider said that they could not bid due to International League policy.

Yeah, I don't get that. The Knights are a AAA team also playing in the International League as well. Something that also caught my eye from the WSJ article was that they referred to Durham as the "permanent" site. I was under the impression that the tournament would be up for bid at least every 4/5 years.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:45 am 

Quote:
Yeah, I don't get that.
Me neither.

But, hey it's W-S which can't possibly draw like Charlotte or apparently even surging Durham.