WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Winston-Salem Dash
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:15 pm 

What a great idea!!! The ballpark was also site of the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure a couple of weekends ago. This type of activity will hopefully spark some further developer interest in the Brookstown project's vacant parcels.

The Winston-Salem Dash is launching what it hopes is the first of many post-season events at BB&T Ballpark to help keep the park active once the minor league baseball season is over. From Oct. 16 through Oct. 31, the team is partnering with Winston-Salem's Peppercorn Theatre on Field of Fears, a Halloween-themed, family-oriented offering with hayrides, pumpkin painting, scarecrow building and more. Dash President Geoff Lassiter said Tuesday that the event is geared toward continuing to provide activities at the park even after the season has wrapped up. Lassiter said the team is researching other similar multiday events, but declined to offer specifics. "We have a facility that we think will attract and have the opportunity to host more multiple-day events like this," Lassiter said

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2 ... l?page=all

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:12 pm 

We won the poll!! :dance:

Fans voted BB&T Ballpark as the best in its class in a competition organized by Ballpark Digest.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2 ... lpark.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:54 pm 

The Dash is reporting record attendance at tonight's game and July 4th festivities: 9,007 fans. The team broke 8k on July 4th on each of the last 4 years, with a then-record crowd of 8,184 in 2014 and a second-place 8,147 last year (per this article: http://ballparkdigest.com/2016/07/05/mo ... h-of-july/). So fun news there!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:50 pm 

The Dash had a news conference today to announce that Chris Paul has joined the ownership group! He has apparently been a life long baseball fan in addition to his great talent in basketball. This is great news as it further solidifies his ties to the area. He had previously invested in the D1 Sports Training center that also is affiliated with WFUBMC. Someone needs to suggest to him to invest in a sports bar in the ballpark development. I could see a big venue with TV’s everywhere with a broad based menu with steaks, seafood along with the typical bar fare. It could be called CP3’s

As a related aside, I came across info that when Geoff Lassiter, the former president of the Dash, was elected president of the Carolina League, the office was moved to Winston from Greensboro. Since GSO’s team is not in the league not to sure why the offices were there.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:29 am 

Quote:
the office was moved to Winston from Greensboro. Since GSO’s team is not in the league not to sure why the offices were there.

The Carolina League website still lists Greensboro as the headquarters?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:33 am 

The league office is located where the league president is located. The previous league president lived in the city to the east. The new league president lives in Winston-Salem. This happened last year, if I remember correctly? I really expected the office to already be in Winston-Salem by now.

I'm guessing selling part of the team to Chris Paul is connected to the ballpark village development? Will Chris Paul invest in the development or will the money from selling part of the team help to pay for the development? I know everyone has forgotten about the proposed development from a few years ago, but it's still active and this could be connected to it? I've heard they now have everything in place for the hotel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:27 pm 

Sports Business Journal reported by Greensboro Business Journal (related publication, it seems) Winston-Salem BB&T Baseball Park is ninth best minor league park in US. Way to go!

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2019/09/25/triad-city-named-one-of-the-nations-best-for-minor.html?iana=hpmvp_triad_news_headline

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal.aspx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 12:51 am 

I'm surprised no one here has talked about the team's majority owner, The Chicago White Sox, demanding a lower rent or they will leave. The Dash pay one of the highest rents in minor league baseball. I guess our discussion group is more focused on development than sports? They also want ballpark upgrades, which no one is really discussing right now? It does appear as if the team will stay, but this does make it more difficult for teams and cities to gain the voter support needed to build these facilities. I'm surprised there isn't some type of agreement that would require them to pay the high rent even if the team leaves?

In a more interesting development, it appears as if Minor League Baseball is looking into moving all of the neighboring Class A and Class A Advanced league teams in the area into the Carolina League! This would allow Winston-Salem to play the Greenville Drive, Asheville Tourists, Hickory Crawdads, and neighboring Grasshoppers! WOW! That would really increase team revenues, help to fill more seats, encourage super fans to take short road trips to Winston-Salem, and create great rivalries! I'm sure it will save the team money, in travel expenses, too!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:39 pm 

The Dash has signed a new 10-year commitment with the White Sox. It was expected, but still should allow us to breath a sigh of relief. The alternative would have been devastating. I am okay with our city's slow and steady growth. The Dash is one of the differentiators between slow growth and decline.

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:18 am 

Well, the drama with the Dash may not be over yet...

https://journalnow.com/news/local/dash- ... op-story-1

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 12:56 am 

Would they really remove the league's attendance record setting team in the league's best ballpark in one of its largest cities?

I think we should find out. I would say no. And I would also bring-up the options for that space. I've seen similar ballparks converted into soccer stadiums, including an MLS stadium! We could use it to attract the region's soccer team or an upgraded soccer team that could attract fans from throughout the region. Another idea is a concert venue and meeting space. It could also become a venue for championship series that bring outside fans to the area. An even better idea could be to attract a lower-level of play to the ballpark that maybe doesn't require as much money to be profitable and could bring-down ticket prices and help payoff the ballpark earlier? I'm guessing most of the fans drive to a parking deck, take a shuttle, spend 3.5 hours in the ballpark, eat and drink in the ballpark, and take the shuttle back to their cars at a late hour and return home? If they have cheap beer nights and players for the kids to watch, I don't think most people would really notice anything changed? It wouldn't surprise me if another team showed-up at City Hall in four or five years wanting to move to that nice ballpark in a bigger city with a record of high attendance. And yes, I would state all of that in public when saying no. If the team's goal is to pay little-to-nothing, the City isn't losing much by exploring other options for the facility. I would even ask the team and Major League Baseball for 6-9 months to explore those other options, with city-hired consultants and CJMW, for the ballpark. Also, did a contract expire? If not, it's possible the team could have to continue paying the City after they leave?

If Billy Prim is still an owner, maybe the City could agree with one condition: Billy Prim must give-up the land around the ballpark and necessary easements to develop it. The City could then sell the sites to a developer for a few million or (for the biggest return and impact) hold meetings with neighbors about what they want to see, partner with a GC, and build a residential, retail, and entertainment project on those lots, with parking for the ballpark and development. The City can then sell the development and use the profit to pay-down some of those ballpark loans to make the team's new numbers work. The development, after it's sold, will generate tax revenue for the City, too. This would finally fill those lots, could add 3-4 retail/restaurant spaces around a town-square leading into the ballpark, and allow the neighborhood and City to build what they want on those sites, which can include mixed-income housing (both market-rate and affordable workforce-housing). The City should keep in mind it must be a project they can sell for a good profit.

It's also important to note, as the team brings-up getting out of paying for games with below 80% allowed attendance: The team averages around 4,200 fans a game in a ballpark that can host 7,500+ paying fans inside the actual stadium. Maybe the City could use those numbers to set a number for the team, like below 3,360 fans, which is 80% of their usual attendance. It could also be interesting to bring-up options that would allow the team to have more fans, like using the grass hill behind the outfield wall. If the team is limiting themselves, on their own, they could've had more fans and made the decision, on their own, not to. I would include something allowing the City to explore if they could've had more fans and limited themselves, if they try for that discount.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 10:10 am 

I'm with you (as usual) F&M, but then we do not live in W-S (only love it chaste from afar) and it is a matter for those who live there. In fact, W-S should be Double A at least (stadium should have more capacity as well) given city size and historical support. This seems to be the equivalent of ransomware from within. I'm sure some other team would love that stadium. My NYC (Bronx) wife (BB forever fan) thinks it's the most beautiful minor league stadium she's ever seen and compares it with Camden Yards in Baltimore.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:21 am 

The City has hired Walter Robbs to complete the renovations. No one is discussing the required improvements? Improvements include adding private locker rooms for female coaches, staff, and umpires; laundry, equipment, and commissary upgrades to the home team clubhouse; a larger visiting team clubhouse with upgrades to the commissary, shower & toilet facilities, training room, coaches' locker room, and a separate office for the visiting manager; changes to the bullpen mounds; changes to the wall height in the right field corner (will this impact the design and the view from Salem Parkway?); improved field drainage; a lighting review; and adding a second enclosed hitting/pitching tunnel. Since the team's office space, at Second & Brookstown (across the street from the ballpark), will be demolished for a new apartment building, the team is requesting office space to be constructed at the ballpark. The team will pay for the office space. The other improvements will be paid for using $5 million in limited obligation bonds. It will be interesting to see if the team office space is constructed in that pit where the team office, ticket windows, and team store were originally planned before that part of the plan was cancelled for a never-built office building. That pit is ugly and has rusted steel inside it. It needs to be filled-in with something? With all of those planned improvements and the need for that team office, that pit is a good place to build some of that. I would like to see the ticket windows and team store also completed there, with the office. At least merge the ticketing with the office space. As long as a trailer is used for the ticket window and that pit is there, the ballpark isn't really finished.

Last edited by Fourth and Main on Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:26 am 

How about adding a couple thousand seats to equal GSO’s stadium or more to make it a double A park.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:27 pm 

I'm amazed we still have a team honestly. They have a good crowd four times a year. I don't know how Minor League Baseball does it.