WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon May 16, 2022 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Wake Forest Sports
PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:50 pm 

I am going to be sick!!!!! :puke:

Bzdelik will return for a fourth season at Wake Forest.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/ba ... f6878.html

Post subject: Re: Wake Forest Sports
PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:58 pm 

I wish someone could give the name of a coach that could have done more with the crop of players that he had to work with...he started out with Gaudio's wretched group and had to let more than half of them go due to a variety of legal issues. I'm not sure why some people are so against Bzdelik, but it's dividing the fan base and really becoming a national embarrassment for the university. It's time for us to unite and be REAL supporters of Wake Forest Basketball!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:05 pm 

:huh: It would appear you are in a very distinct minority in your view but I applaud your patience...While your reference to a rogue factor that manifested itself during the Gaudio era has a degree of validity, there are precious few individuals on campus or off that are willing to buy your argument that particular issue is the reason that Wake Forest has the record it has under Bzdelik.

Some of the reasons the vast majority of Wake Fans have against Bzzz are these stats pulled from firebz.com among others: During Bzdelik's tenure, WFU versus the ACC 11-42 (.208) and an overall record of 34-60 (.362). At the time of his WFU hiring, Jeff Bzdelik held a career conference tournament record of 1-5 (.167) and a Career NCAA Tournament record of 0-1 (.000). In February and March at Wake Forest, Jeff Bzdelik’s teams have recorded records of 0-11 in 2011, 2-7 in 2012, and finished 3-7 in 2013 for a combined total of 5-26 (.161). After three years without a post-season win at Wake Forest, Jeff Bzdelik’s current career record in Conference Tournaments is 1-8 (.111). Jeff Bzdelik’s teams have failed to earn any other invitation to post-season play since 2007. Jeff Bzdelik’s Career NCAA Tournament Record (8th Season as a Head Coach) 0-1 :tdown:

The Fan base isn't divided, it's in fact united in its opposition to this bland gentleman, along with an A.D. suffering with a HUGE degree of hubris, from continuing to wreak havoc upon this BB program & the University. It is the ultimate case of disrespect of the fans as well as all other constituents of the Wake Forest community to arrogantly proceed forward with the S.O.S. I dearly hope positive change will occur next year :pray: but don't believe it will come to pass :nothing:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... th-bzdelik

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ch-bzdelik

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the ... 25z;_ylv=3

http://www.bloggersodear.com/2013/3/27/ ... etball-acc

Last edited by zalo on Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:25 pm 

I'm neither an alum nor apathetic fan of Wake Forest, but my patience or anything close to confidence ran out long ago for this coach. He exhibits not a lick of knowhow, streetsmarts or charisma much less any fire-in-the-belly desire to inspire a player just from looking at his actions on the sidelines. He looks like he would have trouble encouraging a snail. Wake truly needs a leader like Coach K who can take what he has, year after year, and mold a team with the talents he is given. It's not enough for the Deacs to pull the occasional spoiler over a rival like Duke or Carolina, or over NC State and Miami like they did this past season, when you know they are not going anywhere after the season's over. Or who cares, Wake fan or not, about having integrity in a coach. That's a prerequisite of any WFU hire.

I say...for the coach, and Wellman....the pressure is really on now!! Not one single message I read on the journalnow.com website announcing this coach's return was positive.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:18 am 

I'd just like to see Wake competitive again however that is accomplished.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:13 am 

zalo - I too am furious about the incompetency in the Wake Forest Athletic Dept. I agree with the majority of the fan base that we need to axe Wellman and his buddy Bz immediately. Whatever legacy that Wellman was building for himself has evaporated.

To put my money where my mouth is, I am refusing to attend ANY Wake sporting events until the WFU administration comes to its senses and does some serious house cleaning. Additionally, I will not make any alumni contributions until change occurs.

Here is a letter that I sent to the Wake Alumni dept. and multiple other people at Wake yesterday:

Quote:
Hello,

Nearly two years ago, I wrote the WFU alumni office expressing my extreme concern over the state of the school's basketball program. Obviously, my concerns fell on deaf ears because the incompetent Athletic Director, Ron Wellman and the inept Basketball Coach, Jeff Bzdelik are still employed by Wake. I suppose that the University felt that those two hadn't done enough to destroy Wake's storied basketball program, so they are allowing them to continue dragging the WFU brand through the mud.

The presence of Wellman and Bzdelik is like a cancer for the University and it needs to be cut out for the following reasons:
  • Wellman and Bzdelik have created an incredibly divisive atmosphere among the Wake Forest fan and alumni base which is leading to a nationally publicized spectacle that is severely damaging the Wake Forest brand
    • WFU students have taken out public advertisements voicing their opposition to Bzdelik
    • The coaching debacle has been widely written about on national sports websites such as ESPN and CBS Sports, thus making Wake the laughing stock of the sports world
    • Many of my fellow alumni are refusing to support Wake athletics because of the incompetent leadership
  • Athletic programs are one of the primary ways of marketing a school and raising awareness of both athletic and academic quality, but it takes a pattern of success to create positive image
    • As a corollary, the lack of success will engender a negative image of the school -- one which will likely damage Wake's overall reputation (i.e., athletically and academically)
    • Basketball and football are the highest profile athletic programs in US universities, so successes and failures in those programs reach a wide audience
  • Continued support for Wellman and Bzdelik by the University is extremely likely to have major financial repercussions because disillusioned alumni and fans (such as myself) will not provide monetary support for such a poorly run program

Until the Wake Forest administration comes to its senses and fires Wellman and Bzdelik and begins to repair the damage done to Wake Forest's overall brand image I will NOT attend any athletic games - for basketball or other sports. Furthermore, I will NOT provide any financial contributions to the Deacon Club OR to the Wake Forest Fund.

:basketball: :help: :basketball: :help: :basketball: :help: :basketball:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:09 am 

Well, perhaps the way we can make lemonade out this huge basket of lemons, is to hope that Wellman is successful in buying the Joel. He had a pretty impressive Powerpoint presentation for the City Council's Finance Committee meeting last week. The meeting can be viewed on the City's website, his presentation was about an hour & half into the meeting.

If he is successful in getting the coliseum, he's going to have to have that sucker rented out constantly in order to bring in $$$ to rehab the center as well as put toward other athletic needs. If the WF blogs are to be believed, there is a huge backlash building among the alumni base, maybe not among the major donors, but the level underneath that. That in itself will be extremely damaging to the University. With a small school such as Wake, any antagonizing of the alumni contributions will have a long ranging ripple effect that will take a good deal of time to overcome even if Bzz is canned.

There appears to be some hope that the BOT will step in after their meeting in mid-April. With Don Flow as chairman of the board, I'm just wondering how that will play in Wellman's favor. What I mean is that I'm sure that the tennis center along with the W-S Open required a good deal of collaboration and heavy lifting by Wellman for that effort. Flow may be of the position that he is willing to not get involved and to trust Wellman's decision making on this.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:41 am 

I love Wake Forest, but it's sad how far they've fallen. Remember, it was only a few years ago they were the #1 ranked team in the country. I'm glad for CJ Harris that they had a few big wins this year (Miami game was incredible) but a couple games isn't going to make up for three season's worth of disappointment.

As good as Bz is on the X's and O's (supposedly), he just lacks the ability to relate to and motivate 18-22 year old kids. Seems like a nice guy who unfortunately has the personality of a robot. Wake needs someone with some passion and energy ...

Having said that (and to completely contradict myself), I think Tubby Smith would be a good hire for Wake. He went to HPU and I think his wife is from the area. Definitely a solid coach that could get them back to respectability.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:59 am 

Hard to believe Bz comes back for another season. He has obviously been a dud.

I am not as passionate about Wake athletics as some. As a lifelong resident of Winston-Salem, I basically take the teams for granted, never expecting much and rarely being disappointed.

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:01 am 

The Wake Fan/Alum movement to oust the basketball disaster otherwise known as Bzdelik, has now funded a billboard on US-52.

In addition, because all pleas for a demonstration of logic/sanity from the WFU Athletic Dept. have fallen upon deaf ears, the BuzzOut movement has morphed into a cause which also calls for Athletic Director Ron Wellman's involuntary resignation.

http://triadsportsdaily.com/post/50340983939

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:25 am 

Soulshine wrote:
Quote:
You cant deny that GSO books some great acts, though. If they bring just a fraction of that to little LJVM, thats a huge step in the right direction.

This. Other than the Elton John concert (which was a logistical nightmare), LJVM has had next to nothing the past few years. Any change is a good change IMO, though one does wonder how many big-time acts Greensboro will push towards Winston.

I haven't read all the reports, but hopefully there's some sort of quota requirement for concerts at LJVM. Maybe the GSO Coliseum staff has to guarantee one popular show a month in Winston, and 2-3 "big" shows that could sell out BB&T Field.

I made a new thread for LJVM to separate it out from the Wake Forest Sports discussion: viewtopic.php?f=12&t=238

Speaking of Wake Forest sports...Even with the new revamped and Deaconized Coliseum, I'm not very optimistic about Wake basketball while Bzdelik is still there, but we have great soccer teams (both women and men). The football season is still early, so we'll see what happens. We have some potential there since we have several Seniors in the game. Tomorrow against Clemson...well, I'll be proud if we hold them off (at least for a bit).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:01 am 

Actually, it's more extreme than that. I've seen fundraisers for renting an airplane pulling an anti-Bz banner. I'm sure someone at wake has to ask at some point where the $4,500 for the billboard and thousands more for other things is coming from (their donations!). The fact that Wellman is losing these donations to ads asking the school to fire him is enough to question his return alone.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:07 pm 

FROM THE WAKE WILL CAMPAIGN:

Wake Forest Baseball Park seeks $10 million will allow us to reconfigure the stadium seating, bring fans closer to the field, build a more effective concourse, and add concessions and amenities that will enhance the experience of our fans. The connection of Wake Forest Baseball Park with BB&T Field and reconfiguring the concourse allows us to serve both baseball patrons and enhance the football game day experience as a dual purpose. In addition to other team area enhancements will transform the Wake Forest Baseball Park into a dynamic, family-friendly fan experience that will increase attendance, aid in the recruiting of talented student athletes and staff, and improve the competiveness of our team.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:17 pm 

I have a great respect for Jim Grobe and the type of man/coach he is, but this is probably for the best.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... be-resigns

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:57 pm 

zalo wrote:
I have a great respect for Jim Grobe and the type of man/coach he is, but this is probably for the best.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... be-resigns

This article really epitomizes the outstanding measure of Jim Grobe. Now if someone else in a coaching position at the old Gold & Black would show similar class, then the sun would definitely shine brighter in Winston. :P

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/column ... 0f31a.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next