WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wake Forest Sports
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:58 pm 

One of the Wake related articles in the paper today mentioned how some "deprogramming" needs to occur. When I read that I immediately thought of people like TarheelJ, who appear to have developed some sort of Stockholm Syndrome regarding the last coach (e.g., when you begin to see your jailor as your benefactor rather than see him for the tormentor that he really is).

You can try to rationalize the Bzdelik mistake all you want, but the fact of the matter is that the history books will never give a rat's :censored: about the so-called culture and academic problems that were supposedly corrected by burning a solid program to the ground. All the history books will care about is the fact that we just emerged from one of the worst 4 year periods in the Wake B-ball tradition.

Are Wake fan's the "whiniest"? I doubt it. I think you're just sore that Bzzz got booted. Besides, there are many examples of cases where fans get overzealous regarding their team; two recent examples include the uproar over FSU's recent (and minor) change to their logo and the riot on the U. of Arizona campus after their team lost.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:10 pm 

Deacon Dawg wrote:
One of the Wake related articles in the paper today mentioned how some "deprogramming" needs to occur. When I read that I immediately thought of people like TarheelJ, who appear to have developed some sort of Stockholm Syndrome regarding the last coach (e.g., when you begin to see your jailor as your benefactor rather than see him for the tormentor that he really is).

You can try to rationalize the Bzdelik mistake all you want, but the fact of the matter is that the history books will never give a rat's :censored: about the so-called culture and academic problems that were supposedly corrected by burning a solid program to the ground. All the history books will care about is the fact that we just emerged from one of the worst 4 year periods in the Wake B-ball tradition.

Are Wake fan's the "whiniest"? I doubt it. I think you're just sore that Bzzz got booted. Besides, there are many examples of cases where fans get overzealous regarding their team; two recent examples include the uproar over FSU's recent (and minor) change to their logo and the riot on the U. of Arizona campus after their team lost.

I'm tired of going back and forth about this...I've made my point and if you refuse to see logic then fine. People can only see what they are willing to see, and I see the reality of the situation created by, yes, whiny fans. I'm not a Bzdelik fan, but the treatment he received here from people like you was appalling. He didn't deserve the ire - Gaudio did. He was awful and is still not coaching 4 years later.

The program is in the best shape it's been in for years, much better than the mess Bzdelik inherited. I'm looking forward to a good season next year...the table is set for Manning to be successful with decent talent and a team full of underclassmen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:12 am 

TarheelJ wrote:
Deacon Dawg wrote:

I'm tired of going back and forth about this...I've made my point and if you refuse to see logic then fine. People can only see what they are willing to see, and I see the reality of the situation created by, yes, whiny fans. I'm not a Bzdelik fan, but the treatment he received here from people like you was appalling. He didn't deserve the ire - Gaudio did. He was awful and is still not coaching 4 years later.

The program is in the best shape it's been in for years, much better than the mess Bzdelik inherited. I'm looking forward to a good season next year...the table is set for Manning to be successful with decent talent and a team full of underclassmen.

OK, Mrs. Bzdelik, your husband was wonderful and was just misunderstood. Enjoy your retirement at Sunset Beach.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:10 pm 

Journal staff report:

Wake Forest officials announced Thursday the addition of Top Hat Tavern at BB&T Field. The tavern, located behind the video board and Deacon Hill on the south side of the stadium, will sell beer and wine to the general public at football games, and soft drinks and water also will be available. There will be a limit of three drinks per person, with sales starting 90 minutes before kickoff and ending at the end of the third quarter. “We are always looking to enhance the game-day experience for all of our fans,” Athletics Director Ron Wellman said. “We feel we have a service model that will be controlled and responsible.” Wake Forest is part of a growing trend of alcohol sales at football games, joining more than 30 other bowl subdivision teams.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:32 pm 

I like that name....Top Hat Tavern. That would be a good name for an addition to the entertainment zone along Baity Street, IF that is still in the works?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:34 am 

Let the resurrection commence! :pray:

Dan Collins/Winston-Salem Journal

Wake Forest has filled a big need for a big player.

Doral Moore, a 7-0 center from Montverde (Fla.) Academy, has committed to play basketball for the Deacons after visiting campus over the weekend. His decision stokes the momentum that began when guard Bryant Crawford of Gonzaga High School in Washington, D.C., committed to play for the Deacons last month. Both are high-school seniors this uear.

Coach Kevin Boyle of Montverde said that Moore was swayed by the chance to play for Danny Manning, the Deacons’ first-year coach who was one of the greatest players in Kansas University history and had a 15-year career in the NBA. “It was a huge factor,” Boyle said. “The assistants (at Wake Forest) did an excellent job, but Danny being able to relate to a big guy like him, I think, was good — knowing Danny’s ability as a young coach, and obviously an NBA player and a skilled offensive player. “Hopefully we’ll do a good job preparing him for Danny, and Danny can do a good job to take him to the next level as a player in the ACC.” Moore had visits to Kentucky and Illinois scheduled, but both were cancelled.

With 6-9 Devin Thomas and 7-0 Andre Washington entering their junior season, and 6-9 Darius Leonard eligible for only one season after transferring from Campbell as a graduate student, Konstantinos Mitoglou is the only freshman or sophomore taller than 6-7 on the Deacons’ roster. Mitoglou is a 6-10 freshman from Thessaloniki, Greece.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:53 pm 

John Dell/Winston-Salem Journal

Let's hope that Ron Wellman doesn't go for the Bzedelik of soccer. :pray:

Jay Vidovich, one of four Wake Forest coaches to have won a national championship, has left to coach soccer at the pro level. Newspaper reports out of Oregon say that Vidovich, 54, has been hired to coach the Portland Timbers USL Pro Club T2. Vidovich, who just completed his 21st season as head coach of the Deacons, guided them to the national championship in 2007.

“It’s a sad day in Wake Forest soccer history,” said Ike Opara, a former player for Vidovich who helped the Deacons win the national championship. “There was some inkling that he would eventually go to the pros and now that day has come.” Vidovich, who did not return a message left on his cell phone, was named national coach of the year twice and has been the ACC coach of the year five times. The Deacons reached the NCAA Tournament in 13 of the last 14 years. This past season the Deacons finished 10-7-2 and lost to Maryland-Baltimore County in a shootout in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Vidovich has been at Wake Forest for nearly 30 years. He was Walt Chyzowch’s top assistant when Chyzowch died unexpectedly just before the 1994 season.
Under extreme difficult circumstances Vidovich took over the Deacons program and steadily guided it for the next 21 seasons. In his 21 seasons as head coach Vidovich had an impressive 272-121-50 record and won five ACC regular-season titles.

Opara, one of the many former Deacons who have gone on to have successful pro careers, will begin his third season in Kansas City. He said that Vidovich brought a lot to the program through the years and will be missed. “I can’t say enough about what he meant to me and what he meant to a lot of guys who have gone through there,” Opara said. “While it’s a sad day for Wake Forest it’s a good day for Coach and his family because he’s doing what his heart is telling him

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:09 pm 

Anyone notice the top 20 recruiting class that Danny Manning has assembled for next year? Good things are coming for Wake basketball and we should see a much better result in ACC play and maybe even a postseason NCAA bid.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:47 am 

"Freshman Noah Rubin’s bid to become the first Wake Forest men’s tennis player to win the singles championship fell short on Monday. Rubin, a native of New York, served for the match at 5-3 in the second set, but wound up falling to Virginia’s Ryan Shane 3-6, 7-6 (4), 6-1 at Baylor University in Waco, Texas."

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/te ... ebc97.html

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:47 pm 

Wake gets another big basketball recruit for next year:

"Samuel Japhet-Mathias, a 6-foot-11, 270-pound center from London, England, committed Tuesday to play for the Deacons starting in 2016-17. He chose Wake Forest over offers from Georgia Tech, Clemson, Connecticut, Georgetown, Providence, Oregon and California."
http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/ba ... c8346.html

Wake should be back in the top 25 this year and be back in the playoffs either this year or the next. Good times for Wake basketball just around the corner!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:28 pm 

TarheelJ wrote:
Wake should be back in the top 25 this year and be back in the playoffs either this year or the next. Good times for Wake basketball just around the corner!

From your lips to God's ear. :pray:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:18 am 

Great start over the weekend for men's basketball! It has not been the norm over the past few seasons to start with two wins, nor has it been to win on the road (90-82 over a good Bucknell team). I heard they had only won once on the road in the 3 years prior to this one, so this is great news. Very optimistic!!!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:29 pm 

TarheelJ wrote:
Great start over the weekend for men's basketball! It has not been the norm over the past few seasons to start with two wins, nor has it been to win on the road (90-82 over a good Bucknell team). I heard they had only won once on the road in the 3 years prior to this one, so this is great news. Very optimistic!!!

The year will hold its challenges, but I am very optimistic for a much improved record this year. Go Deacs!! :banana:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:04 pm 

Wake men's basketball just pulled the greatest upset in several years, beating #13 Indiana at the Maui Classic! I can't remember the last time they beat a ranked team outside of the ACC...it was certainly prior to the Bzdelik era.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:30 pm 

Good new the past couple of weeks for men's basketball...2 solid graduate transfer students for 2016-17 that will add depth, 3 point shooting, and leadership to a young and talented team:

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/ba ... 8c4b9.html

AND a top recruit for 2017...6'8" small forward Mario Eggleston (#107 on the Rivals 150 list) chose Wake over Connecticut, Baylor, Georgia Tech, USC, Miami, LSU, Georgia, etc. He is Danny Manning's first commitment for 2017-18.

http://www.journalnow.com/sports/wfu/ba ... f7479.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next