WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Wed May 18, 2022 11:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: KERNERSVILLE
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:49 pm 

I think you are right Fourth & Main heres councilman Clarks response to a question by the wsj.

Q:What’s your vision for Winston-Salem and how would you achieve it?

Answer: “My vision is a city that is transforming from old-line manufacturing to a 21st-century knowledge economy. That knowledge economy would be defined as more white-collar vs. blue-collar, more high-tech versus low-tech. That is a vision I have had for 12 years. We see visible progress in One Technology Place. Look no further than the visual transformation of an old line manufacturing plant to high-tech, biotech and software

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:16 pm 

Look at this as well: http://allenjoinesformayor.wordpress.com/

Allen Joines wrote:
Over the last 12 years our we have seen nearly 15,000 of our traditional manufacturing jobs disappear or be moved overseas, but at the same time, we have replaced them with approximately 17,000 jobs of the future in health care, education and corporate management.

We need to make sure that Winston-Salem is viewed as a city of innovation, because I believe that successful cities of the future will be those that have embraced a culture of innovation and rapid change.

My priorities will continue to be creating jobs for our citizens, but also working to ensure that everyone who wants a job has a pathway to get one, if they are willing to work for it.

Recently, my mother was in the hospital here in Winston Salem when I was approached by a young woman who on was working there. She said, “Mayor I know you don’t remember me, but you spoke to my class a few years ago.”

“You talked about the future of our city and how the jobs in that future would be knowledge based. You inspired me to get a good education and additional training so that I could get one of those jobs. That’s why I have the job I have today, here at this hospital.

Manufacturing jobs leave, but they are replaced with higher paying jobs that require a higher education level. According to Business N.C., Forsyth County's top private employment field is Health Care and Education is second on the list. No manufacturing/warehousing. In neighboring Guilford County, it's Manufacturing in the top spot.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:56 pm 

A groundbreaking for the Veterans Administration medical clinic in Kernersville will be held Friday at 11 a.m. VA spokesman Bruce Sprecher has said it would take about 2½ years to build the 280,000-square-foot clinic. The 1750 Kernersville Medical Parkway site is north of Interstate 40 between Macy Grove Road and N.C. 66. The center will provide primary care, general and specialized mental-health services, and a wide variety of other specialized services. It is projected to treat about 34,000 veterans a year.

The agency projects the clinic having at least 500 employees when at full operation. Sprecher said jobs would begin to be posted about six months before the opening. In September, a New York-based group paid $9.26 million to buy the 39-acre site. Winston-Salem Healthcare Development LLC is listed as the buyer of the property, according to Forsyth County Register of Deeds data. In May, the VA chose Lend Lease Healthcare Development LLC of Palm Beach, Fla., as the general contractor. Lend Lease Healthcare is responsible for buying the land, building the center and leasing it to the VA for 20 years. The VA said it will pay an annual rent of $13 million.

Local healthcare officials said the construction cost could be between $300 and $350 a square foot, which comes to $84 million to $98 million for the entire project. The parking lot of 1,914 spaces is expected to cost at least $20 million.

This facility should have been built in the IQ!! I am pretty d*mn sure that a parking garage could have been constructed for $20 million or less. So having to provide cheap parking sure doesn't seem to be part of the equation of the site selection. :roll: So there will be almost 2,000 parking spaces sprawled over all that acreage with impervious surfaces, when the VA could have saved some green space and gone vertical with the parking in central city location that would require less walking for the vets. The amount of activity generated at this facility would have been outstanding. This particular facility could have also married up with WFUBMC with the regenerative tissue institute with a special emphasis on wounded warriors. An IQ location would really have added a big punch toward getting a developer to pull the trigger on the Bailey Power Plant project , as a side benefit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:05 pm 

Quote:
This facility should have been built in the IQ!!
absolutemente - this was a no-brainer (and it could have been around 20-stories). I smell a heap of so-called triadism lobbying here.

Quote:
This particular facility could have also married up with WFUBMC with the regenerative tissue institute with a special emphasis on wounded warriors.
again, a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 2:14 pm 

Multifamily development company Hackett Builders of Greensboro is planning a 216-unit apartment community on Macy Grove Road in Kernersville. Hackett Builders is owned by Dino Hackett, a star All-American linebacker while at Appalachian State University and former inside linebacker with the Kansas City Chiefs. The Kernersville apartments are planned for an 18-acre tract at the corner of Macy Grove and Grays Land roads near Novant Health’s Kernersville Medical Center and the $150 million U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Center, which is under construction. The 216-unit community could likely cost between $16 million and $18 million to develop, based on projects of similar size in the area.

Hackett Properties has requested to rezone the 18 acres, which is owned by Ricky L. Gray and sits just north of Business 40, from agricultural use in Guilford County to a residential multifamily special use district within the town of Kernersville. When the VA Center broke ground last year, it was anticipated that the project would spur a “snowball” of development on the surrounding acreage. :angry1: (Should have been in the IQ!) And its in Guilford County on top of it!! A town of Kernersville staff report says that the apartments would “assist in meeting the housing demands” of Kernersville Medical Center, the VA Health Care Center,

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2 ... l?page=all

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:13 pm 

zalo wrote:
The Guilford County Board of Commissioners will hold a public hearing Sept. 19 to consider providing up to $89,250 worth of county funds to support the project, which would create 31 full-time jobs over three years. The facility would be located within Samet Corp.'s Triad Business Park, which is located in Guilford County.
Here's an update to the earlier article from TBJ notice the highlighted portion
Patrick Schmidt, CEO of FFF Enterprises, said Kernersville is an attractive location due to its proximity to FedEx Ground (NYSE: FDX), which operates a massive distribution hub in the business park.

Having a Kernersville facility would also help the company realize tremendous savings on transportation costs for shipments to customers on the East Coast.

Schmidt said a possible Kernersville facility is expected to handle about 75 percent of the company's volume and has the [b]potential to become a future headquarters location for the company.[/b]

The planned building, which is expected to cost in the neighborhood of $7 million, would be similar to the facility FFF occupies in California, he said.

Schmidt said if all goes according to plan, Samet could potentially begin construction on the facility later this month or in early October and complete the project by March 2014.

Looks like this may be developing into a corporate HQ situation. :thinking:

Schmidt said FFF could hire roughly 80 workers by the end of next year, and he anticipates having 164 employees at the facility within the next 24 to 36 months. He and and his wife, Greta, on Oct. 13 closed on the $2.3 million purchase of musician Chris Daughtry's estate in Oak Ridge.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2 ... o-164.html

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:33 pm 

Korner's Folly

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/in ... 92d97.html

Glad to see that the folly is getting some of it's due. It is an architectural marvel, and too often overlooked.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:28 pm 

An update on the new VA outpatient clinic. For the record, I am still annoyed that this facility was not built in the IQ. :angry:

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/ke ... fbbef.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:06 pm 

All I have to say is :censored:

By Wesley Young Winston-Salem Journal

Both the outpatient clinic and clinic annex operated by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs in Winston-Salem will close this afternoon as staffers begin the move to the new Health Care Center in Kernersville, the VA Health Care System said Thursday.

The new center is on a 40-acre site and will provide more than 20 different medical services in a building that includes 280,000 square feet of usable space. VA officials said the Kernersville Health Care Center will open and start seeing patients Tuesday. However, if veterans have an urgent medical need before then, they can Veterans Call Support Center at (800) 706-9126. The new Health Care Center is four times the size of the old VA clinic in Winston-Salem, but it is still not a hospital. The center is designed to provide outpatient treatment only.

However, in addition to the services that have been provided at the Winston-Salem clinics, the new center will be expanding its medical care offerings to include outpatient specialty care that is less routine.The official grand opening will take place Feb. 26. VA officials said the general public is welcome to attend but seating is limited. People who want to attend should email the VA at VHASBYPublicAffairs @va.gov.

The Kernersville center is one of three the VA has planned for North Carolina. A center in Charlotte is under construction, and one in Fayetteville is already open. The Kernersville center is on Kernersville Medical Parkway, across the road from Kernersville Medical Center, a hospital owned and operated by Novant Health. Kernersville was picked as a site for the new VA outpatient center in 2011-12 after a site search that included locations in Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point, Clemmons and Lewisville.
N.C. 66 in Kernersville provides access to the hospital from the west, while Macy Grove Road offers access from the east. Macy Grove Road also has a new interchange on Business 40 that makes it easier to reach both the Kernersville hospital and the VA center.

http://www.journalnow.com/uploaded_pdfs ... 4eca5.html

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:42 am 

Big new upcoming retail development "Main Street Market" coming to South Main St. just a couple of blocks N of B-40. Really glad to see our hometown grocer taking this site instead of the Florida interloper. Looking over the marketing brochure reminds me that K-Vegas really holds its own regarding income demographics in the Triad region. That 5 mile, almost $73,000 HH Income stat puts it up there in Clemmons/Lewisville territory.

http://freeman-commercial.s3.amazonaws. ... 1447440955

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:47 am 

This is good news for Kernersville - I must have missed "the hometown grocer" - who is it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:53 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
This is good news for Kernersville - I must have missed "the hometown grocer" - who is it?

Lowe's Foods. They mentioned it on the Freeman website, but didn't indicate it on the marketing flyer.

http://www.freemancommercial.com/proper ... rsville-nc

Late breaking news: The WSJ reports the following. Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 1:55 pm Is Fran Daniel creeping on WSTB? :lurker:

By Fran Daniel Winston-Salem Journal

Lowes Foods announced Tuesday that it will build a store at the intersection of South Main and South Cherry streets in Kernersville and remodel its Lowes Foods on Reidsville Road in Walkertown. The new store in Kernersville is scheduled to open in spring 2016,(I think they mean 2017) :P which is when the Walkertown renovations are expected to be completed.

“Lowes Foods is expanding our commitment to bringing a uniquely local and entertaining grocery shopping experience to the Piedmont Triad market,” said Tim Lowe, the president of Lowes Foods. “We have completed remodeling most of our stores in the Triad, including several in Winston-Salem, Oak Ridge, Clemmons, Lewisville, Bermuda Run, and Jamestown. We’re looking forward to extending our fun new store experience to our guests in Kernersville and Walkertown next year.”

Lowe said that the supermarket chain’s new and remodeled stores focus on supporting local and improving customer service
produce sourced through our partnership with more than 250 Carolina-based farmers, and featuring a wide assortment of unique local products found throughout our stores,” he said.

Store features will include The Beer Den, offering a selection of crafts and drafts; SausageWorks, featuring locally made pork, beef and poultry sausages; and The Cakery, a bakery that includes square cakes in a variety of sizes. Lowes Foods, a subsidiary of Alex Lee Inc., is based in Winston-Salem. The grocery store chain has about 9,000 employees and 94 supermarkets in North Carolina, South Carolina and Virginia.

“Our commitment to local includes offering

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:51 pm 

An Atlanta commercial real-estate developer has bought three Kernersville sites being primed for a potential Amazon fulfillment center. Amazon's proposed plans surfaced May 30 for a 1-million-square-foot facility that could employ up to 953 full-time and full-time equivalent workers (two or more people working combined hours that equal full-time employment. The site is near the FedEx Ground operations on Old Greensboro Road in Kernersville. It’s within 10 miles of the FedEx sorting hub at Piedmont Triad International Airport.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:55 am 

That's wonderful, but isn't it in the small part of Kernersville that is in Guilford County, which means it ain't in the Winston-Salem MSA.

By the way, what's up with this "Fulfillment Center"? Is that the new buzzword for distribution center? I reckon it's like using associate for employee, and guest instead of customer so that no one feels badly.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:52 pm 

Unfortunately, that indeed the case. The ironic thing about this is back during the Great Recession, the developers which I think included Samet Corp (not 100% sure on that) pushed hard to get a sale to Guilford Schools to take it off their hands for a high school.

You’re right about the shift in language, Yadkinv. We can’t have just plain old warehouses or distribution centers any more :roll:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next