WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Wed May 18, 2022 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: KERNERSVILLE
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:07 pm 

I was reading today about a company that has its headquarters and scientists in the IQ District in downtown Winston-Salem and the manufacturing/warehousing is in High Point. It's a great example to use in convincing this company to locate the headquarters at 525@Vine. I wish we could see some of these companies names on lighted signs on the buildings, to show everyone what is there. If someone at the IQ District is reading this, please consider lighted signs on the buildings. At present, it looks as if it's a Wake Forest campus or hospital buildings. Show some of the tenants names!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:54 am 

Agreed!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:17 am 

Fourth and Main wrote:
If someone at the IQ District is reading this, please consider lighted signs on the buildings. At present, it looks as if it's a Wake Forest campus or hospital buildings. Show some of the tenants names!

Something like this :

. . . . I love these classic rooftop signs. Winston-Salem used to have them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:35 am 

Neon, yes, but maybe not that sort of rooftop sign - remember the USA Hotel rooftop sign (I couldn't find a picture of it).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:58 pm 

I like the idea of having those type of rooftop signs and the use of neon :tup:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:22 pm 

I love them! :)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:04 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:54 am 

Yes, exactly like that. The IQ District should be proud of these tenants and want to show them to everyone driving by, so they know the city is a tech center. At least place some type of signage on the buildings. It does appear as if Wake Forest is the only tenant. Imagine how that would look at night, as you drive past the skyline. I've seen other adaptive reuse projects add signs like these.

Off Subject Fact: The two Rosslyn Hotels have a marble tunnel connecting them and a bar is located in the tunnel as well. At some point, decades ago, the tunnel was closed. The bar has been preserved exactly the way it looked when it closed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:58 pm 

The Vaccine Company is confirmed for "Guilford County" So much for the TBJ citing the company coming to the town in whose corporate limits it is situated. :roll: I just know that that headline would cause Yadkinv some indigestion. :wink:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2 ... l?page=all

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:21 pm 

To be expected from the Greensboro Business Journal (GBJ). It's so unprofessional.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:21 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
To be expected from the Greensboro Business Journal (GBJ). It's so unprofessional.

The News & Record does the TBJ one better in its Latest News section on its home page, with the headline: California group to open vaccine center in Greensboro. :?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:35 pm 

Really, that's reporting false information is it not.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:25 am 

Even the WSJ is reporting this as a Greensboro move. This demonstrates that the WSJ is extremely lacking in the due diligence department. :uh: :huh1: :dontknow: We really need the face palm emoticon for this one...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:28 am 

Deacon Dawg wrote:
Even the WSJ is reporting this as a Greensboro move. This demonstrates that the WSJ is extremely lacking in the due diligence department. :uh: :huh1: :dontknow: We really need the face palm emoticon for this one...

Yeah, I saw that this a.m. as well. And the article was written by Richard Craver of the Journal. He should know better than that. :no:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:44 pm 

Plasma Distribution Warehouse Selects Guilford County. The bigger question is: Why does Kernersville feel the need to have an industrial park in Guilford County? Is it due to frustration at Bob Leak and WSBI? I think there is a plan to avoid lower education blue collar jobs and to focus more on white collar and tech jobs, so Winston-Salem can move-up to Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte's level? Over time, the lower education workers will move-out and Winston-Salem will become the Triad's center for the highest paying jobs that require the highest education level. I can't prove that, but it is a theory, based on how easy it seems to attract blue collar jobs to Davidson County, Davie County, Yadkinville, Greensboro-High Point, Mount Airy, Rockingham County, Statesville, etc., and how few of these jobs are even looking at Winston-Salem. There is no way a city could under perform like this in attracting blue collar jobs, when it is surrounded with success in the center of an area known for that type of workforce! Also Winston-Salem did very well at attracting these jobs in the 1990s, but isn't attracting them today. It's like someone flipped a light switch and turned off the lower education blue collar jobs. I can see the strong efforts to attract white collar and lab coat jobs in their promotional materials. Either someone doesn't have the skill set to attract blue collar jobs like their neighbors or there is a plan to transform the city's economy to the new economy and gain all of the benefits that brings. When there is a big tech company that could improve the city's image or a high skill manufacturer that requires workers with Associate Degrees or higher, Winston-Salem seems to step-up its game and win it. But when it comes to lower education jobs, like high school or below, it's like Winston-Salem doesn't even try? Over time, this could dramatically impact the city's and county's politics and philanthropy? It's not hard to see the number of manufacturing jobs declining each month, while other jobs fields are on the rise. Even Herbalife is mostly headquarters jobs relocating from LA and scientist jobs. Caterpillar is some of the most advanced manufacturing in the region, requiring all workers there to go back to school. Other big announcements over the past ten years have brought a computer company, and IT data centers to the city. It seems as if a Wal-mart Warehouse or candy factory or furniture factory, as examples, are beneath the city?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next