WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:06 pm 

That is a fantastic idea! And, if it’s a true partnership, Atrium will leap at such an opportunity, but I ain’t holding my breath.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 2:07 am 

An interesting video about the Atrium merger and how they want to invest in both campuses, from a Charlotte news source.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:14 pm 

Zalo, that's an excellent and very cool idea! I really hope they can revive the cycling center because it could be used as a nexus for downtown and all they cycling activities in the area. According to an analysis of the business in 2021: "Cycling equipment revenue grew by 15% to $8.5 billion in the 12 months ending July 2021, compared to the previous year." Here' the article: https://www.npd.com/news/blog/2021/the- ... d-in-2021/ Cycling could also become an identifier for the city if we were to aggressively go after the sport in a big way.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:52 am 

The National Institute Of Health has released the data for their research awards in the year 2021. I dumped the data in a spreadsheet and did a little analysis in order to share with this group.

California was at the top of the list as expected with total NIH grants of $5.133 billion. With UC San Fran-$709.0 million (#4 nationally), Stanford-$611.4 million (#8 nationally), UCLA-$590.1 million (#12 nationally), UC San Diego-$549.8 (#15 nationally), University of Southern Cal- $316.0 million and UC Davis at $272 million.

New York was second in the nation with awards of $3.7 billion, lead by NYU at $803 million (#2 nationally); Columbia $580.1 million (#13), and Mt Sanai at $441.2 (#20 nationally), Cornell at $245.1 million (#35).

Massachusetts was 3rd with awards of $3.33 billion (Mass General $600.7 million (#10 nationally) Brigham and Womens $357.1, Boston Children’s $219.1 million, Broad Institute $181.6 and Harvard specific- $176.1 million). This shows the power of the Harvard/MIT university research combination and their strength nationwide and also the strength of the Boston area. Total awards to the Boston area medical schools were $2.5 billion.

Our own NC was 4th in the nation in terms of NIH grants! Duke has become a real national powerhouse with awards of $731.2 million which was also ranked 3rd in the nation behind only NYU and Johns Hopkins! I think the Duke/Stanford partnership (together @ $1.34 billion) is creating one of the best medical research combinations on the planet. UNC Chapel Hill was awarded $498.5 million (#17 nationally), and Wake was awarded $124.9 million (#70 nationally) and the Winston Salem area total was $130.4 million. The additional amount to Winston Salem went to 2 companies that do clinical trials. The RTP area received total grants of $1.8 billion!

Texas was 5th with awards of $1.64 billion lead by Baylor at $351.7 million, UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas at $255.3, and UT Anderson Cancer Ctr $172.3 and UT Houston at $138.5 million. It’s interesting to note that our own RTP area received more research awards than the entire state of Texas! This again speaks to the strength of the RTP area nationwide.

Johns Hopkins in Baltimore was #1 nationally and the university was awarded $824.9 million. The state of Washington came in at $1.4 billion lead by University of Washington Seattle $543.5 million (#16) and the Seattle area received awards of $1.26 billion which once again was less than our little ole RTP! The medical schools in the state of Michigan were awarded $883.4 million with the University of Michigan Ann Arbor was $609 million. Mayo Clinic received $241.2 million along with the Univ Minnesota which received $336.6 million. There has been some posts on the forum about Pittsburgh and it’s interesting that the University of Pittsburgh was #11 with awards of $597.8 million. The University of PA-Philly (#6 nationally) received $641.9 million. You can see how important the medical research is to the city of Pittsburgh. Yale was awarded $557.5 million (#14 nationally) and Emory was awarded $479.6 million (#18 just behind UNC Chapel Hill).

This just shows just the incredible strength of the RTP area because the NIH research awards are very much in the same class as Silicon Valley, Boston, NYC, and Seattle regions. Also note this data is only the NIH awards and it doesn’t include private and other research grants that universities receive. This 2021 data hasn’t been published yet and I’m anxious to take a look at it when it becomes available. Sorry for all the numbers and I hope you all find this as interesting as I did!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 11:10 am 

Thanks for this analysis - this took a lot of work, thanks again. One wonders/presumes if future grants to Wake Forest will naturally be divided between Winston-Salem and Charlotte. How will this affect W-S?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:05 pm 

Excellent news from today's TBJ: "Atrium Health is increasing its minimum wage to $16 per hour, according to an internal memo viewed by the Charlotte Business Journal.The change will go into effect in March for Atrium and Wake Forest Baptist employees,"

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:54 am 

Do you remember the Neuroscience Research Center I said would be a good idea to create in the Innovation Quarter, since they often have large buildings and generated solid growth for innovation districts? It also worked well with the older population in the Triad and football concussion research. Wake Forest will create one and it will be in Charlotte. Charlotte's innovation district will also have a focus on regenerative medicine, which is much of the Wake Forest research in downtown Winston-Salem. I've often been surprised regenerative medicine didn't attract more outside employers / partnerships for the Innovation Quarter. What was that about the two innovation districts not competing? The possibility of Charlotte startups being sent here to launch and grow before moving back to Charlotte could generate some growth here. It's the ultimate version of Winston-Salem becoming the official farm team for Charlotte, with Charlotte sending down young promising startups until they are ready for the big leagues and calling them up. That does appear to be what Winston-Salem and the Innovation Quarter are. Places for startups to startup. Maybe it will give us a chance to convince them to stay when they are ready to expand? It could generate more patent activity for the city?

Meanwhile, the Innovation Quarter remains stalled-out. It looks like my prediction that nothing will happen there in 2022 is coming true. I also noticed the Wake Forest projects disappeared from Wexford's future projects. Now, I'm concerned about things possibly leaving or half of what is there being moved south. Maybe replicated, which could also hurt the iQ? 2023 will be half-a-decade of no Wexford / Wake Forest projects there. We need to start looking for that next big thing for downtown? Interestingly, everything seems to point to startups. So much vacant space, with more companies talking about reducing space than what you have heard about. A great startup ecosystem is being built downtown and it is generating growth, filling space, and bringing attention to Winston-Salem. Maybe Atrium's plans are right for the future of this city? Startups can also be used to maybe attract other businesses to the city (gives the city a higher tech ranking and looks impressive). Of course a hospital campus on that massive vacant piece of land would also do a lot for downtown.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:39 am 

Quote:
Charlotte's innovation district will also have a focus on regenerative medicine,
I hate saying I told you so.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:18 pm 

https://www.wccbcharlotte.com/2022/03/0 ... the-pearl/

Wexford is also the developer of Winston-Salem’s Innovation Quarter, which also has deep ties with Atrium Health and Wake Forest University School of Medicine. With both school of medicine campuses located in the innovation districts, the goal is to develop the region into one of the leading areas for innovation in the nation, working in tandem to advance life- sciences research and development, as well as incubate new businesses in both locations.

Uh-huh. The bone (lie) they keep throwing has no meat on it. I fear soon we will stop getting even the bone, as WS will no longer be mentioned in these articles and press releases. :(

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 2:44 pm 

Quote:
as WS will no longer be mentioned in these articles and press releases.
No kidding, again, I hate to say I told you so!!!

Anyone, anyone, who believes that Atrium is pure of heart on this matter is delusional truly. Hasn't it already been discussed on this forum that Wexford has pretty much closed shop in W-S?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 3:52 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
Quote:
as WS will no longer be mentioned in these articles and press releases.
No kidding, again, I hate to say I told you so!!!

Anyone, anyone, who believes that Atrium is pure of heart on this matter is delusional truly. Hasn't it already been discussed on this forum that Wexford has pretty much closed shop in W-S?

Just because it has been discussed on this forum does not make it true. :uh: Unless I missed a news report from Richard Craver @ the Journal or the TBJ regarding Wexford rescinding their contract with the IQ as the preferred developer. Again, unless something has changed, we're still awaiting word on financing for the Eye Institute, Translational Health Institute & Brenner Outpatient (possible IQ site). Also, ground testing recently conducted in the area tends to lean toward something happening in the next 6 plus months. :dontknow:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:48 pm 

I seem to remember the local media reporting this wasn't a merger and then we learned it was a merger? I learned, long ago, Winston-Salem is secretive and won't say much of anything, but Charlotte will tell all. They like to brag and hype-up their city. So, I read the Charlotte stories to see what the real plans are.

I think the medical center will actually improve under Atrium. As for the innovation district, I'm starting to suspect it will be transformed into a place for startups and the second phase will be a medical campus, to finish filling-in the lots. None of that is bad. San Francisco's innovation district has UCSF hospital buildings. It could become bad if something moves or is replicated. If things from Charlotte are also replicated here, too, it may not be so bad? The signs of the medical campus in the second phase are the Eye Institute and "maybe" Brenner opening an outpatient center downtown. Even the translational and population health center appears to be something for a medical campus? I actually like the medical campus idea, since downtown medical campuses attract growth, they can build this out quicker than waiting years for companies to lease space, they attract visitors from outside the area and that is very true for specialized procedures, it can help fill office space in neighboring office buildings, and it will have high-paying jobs that can't be done from home. As research and educational buildings, they also show a commitment to keeping the medical school here and maybe creating a bigger and better campus for it. As for sending startups to Winston-Salem, Winston-Salem was never attracting corporate partnerships and big headquarters. It is excelling at startups and that does present an opportunity for smaller research partnerships in Winston-Salem, maybe filling vacant office space downtown, generating more patent activity, attracting the talent we need to attract other companies, and maybe some of those startup companies staying. Winston-Salem seems to be dependent on bringing-in startups from other cities and this could create a steady source of startups to enter Winston-Salem's startup ecosystem?

I don't view this as horrible. I do think, over time, the actual innovation district in the partnership will be The Pearl and Innovation Quarter will be a medical school, downtown hospital campus, and startup center. This is also the splash of cold water on Greensboro, as they seek to clone Winston-Salem's innovation district. I find it interesting that many of the companies looking at The Pearl are Charlotte-based, similar to what happened in Winston-Salem? Are these innovation districts actually attracting anything new of any real size to their cities or just consolidating what is already there and leveraging it for smaller gains (like startups) and revitalization? Of course I think Wake Forest missed-out on some opportunities to create, as an example, a generic drug company in Winston-Salem (at the part of the Innovation Quarter below Salem Parkway). That could still be low hanging fruit? It could be done in partnership with the City / County and a private developer building the space that is then leased. They could also move their College of Art downtown, which would be awesome and allow them to replace an out-of-place building on campus. I guess we shall see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:59 pm 

This article was in today's TBJ: "Atrium Health to combine with Midwest's Advocate Aurora, creating nation's fifth-largest system" This is a couple of quotes: "Charlotte-based Atrium Health is combining with the Midwest's Advocate Aurora Health — a deal that will double its size and create the fifth-largest health system by revenue in the nation.

The combined organization will serve 5.5 million patients across six states, including Illinois, Wisconsin, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Alabama. It will operate more than 1,000 care sites and 67 hospitals with nearly 150,000 total employees. Combined annual revenue will exceed $27 billion.

The organization, to be called Advocate Health, will be headquartered in Charlotte. It will continue to use the Atrium name locally."

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/ ... 2022-05-11

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 1:28 pm 

Continued dilution of Wake Forest Medical and any hope of added value in W-S. Kowabunga Buffalo Bob!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:56 am 

Frieschlag explains how this Atrium/Advocate merger affects WFB operations locally in a TBJ article. Could someone who has a subscription do a bullet point recap for those of us who can’t access it. Many thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 338 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next