WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 6:10 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_North_Carolina evidence W-S is considered a suburb of Greensboro.

It's the population issue. Winston-Salem had a great opportunity to catch-up in population and maybe take the lead, when Greensboro was losing jobs over 20-25 years and Winston-Salem was making impressive gains in jobs and development, but Greensboro somehow pulled further away (was it college student growth or retirees or both?). Greensboro actually had fewer jobs in 2019 than they had in the 1990s and should've lost population, like the other cities in that situation. Since Winston-Salem missed that opportunity, maybe it's time for Winston-Salem to accept being a suburb and promote itself as such for employers and people not wanting to be in the core city, which seems to be a growing number of people and businesses looking to move to smaller cities, these days? Look at Cary and Concord. Most of the TV studios in the Triad are in Winston-Salem and most of the TV licenses are in the Winston-Salem MSA. Your link actually missed channel 15 in Winston-Salem (tower near the ballpark), which is new, but they listed a channel that moved from Greensboro to Raleigh-Durham and is no longer in the Triad. ABC (Myer Lee Drive), NBC (Coliseum Drive), PBS, MyTV (Myer Lee Drive), CW (Coliseum Drive), and DayStar (near the Dash ballpark) are in Winston-Salem. I think CBS, ION, and an independent channel are operated out of Greensboro, with Fox operated out of High Point? It will be interesting to see if Winston-Salem's MSA can pass Greensboro's and if that could impact how the area is viewed? Would being the larger MSA change the city that is out front and sometimes the only city listed? Adding Surry County will place the Triad's two largest MSAs side-by-side in a growth fight for fourth largest metro in the state and many businesses, site selectors, developers, and researchers use Urbanized Area and MSA population instead of city population when deciding which city is larger. Because cities can merge with their counties or be just a few square miles. Cities can be in states that allow annexation or forbid it. So, city size is often seen as a bad way to measure cities.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:31 am 

The TBJ has a lead story on the 20 projects that will reshape the Triad economy by 2030. Could someone who has access could do a bullet point synopsis are what these may be. Many thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:17 am 

zalo wrote:
The TBJ has a lead story on the 20 projects that will reshape the Triad economy by 2030. Could someone who has access could do a bullet point synopsis are what these may be. Many thanks in advance.

This is the list. The article has more information.

1. Davie Industrial Center planned 1-million-square-foot Mocksville industrial complex
2. North Carolina I-85 Center The 773-acre park on the south side of Exit 84 off I-85 at the western edge of Davidson County
3. Whitaker Park
4. Innovation Quarter
5. Metropolitan Village
6. Nucor Rebar Steel Mill 220 acres at 6776 E. U.S. 64 near Lexington
7. Piedmont Commerce Center 152 acres in the southeast quadrant of the Macy Grove Road and the Salem Parkway (U.S. 421 Business) interchange near Kernersville
8. The Outfields The five-building downtown “catalyst” project in High Point behind Truist Point stadium
9. High Point University 10-year plan for new construction
10. South Rockingham Industrial Park A 176,000-square-foot industrial spec is under construction at the park located at the interchange of I-73 and N.C. 65.
11. Boom Supersonic Overture "Superfactory"
12. Carroll Ballpark South Greensboro The mixed-use project, which will include a 150-room AC Hotel, 280 apartments and 30,000 square feet of retail and meeting space
13. The Westin Greensboro Hotel A 180-room upscale hotel built atop a five-story, 720-space, city parking deck at 203 S. Elm St. in downtown Greensboro.
14. South Elm Industrial site An Amazon fulfillment center planned on a 99-acre tract at 238 Ritters Lake Road on the south side of Greensboro and below I-85 appears to now be in question, if not dead.
15. The Resurgent The 75,642-square-foot mixed-use development will include apartments and retail space at the southeast corner of East Market Street and Benbow Road in east Greensboro, near N.C. A&T.
16. Publix Distribution Center A massive distribution complex off U.S. 70 near McLeansville
17. Toyota lithium battery plant
18. Sedalia Revitalization The plan calls for 800 to 1,000 housing units, multifamily and single-family homes on 145 acres along U.S. 70 in Sedalia
19. Gibsonville Square The 440,000-square-foot former Minneola Cotton Mill will be transformed into 130 apartments, an arts/entertainment/dining area
20. United Parcel Service distribution and delivery center A 510,000-square-foot distribution and delivery center at N.C. Commerce Park in Mebane.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:57 am 

Thanks for the list.

I reckon the Coca Cola Building project at Old Salem is not a large enough project to make the list.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:02 pm 

You mean BOOM is not at the top of their list!??! That's all we've heard for 2-3 months....

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:09 am 

Davie Industrial Center is a part of the transformation of Davie County from a rural and bedroom community. So, I could see that being #1. Davidson County was held-back by not having ready-to-go sites for big projects and I could see that project as being #2. Davidson County is now positioned to boom and also feed-off Charlotte. Something I think Davie County is also doing, as they take expanding businesses from the Charlotte metro. I would like to see Davidson County develop a mega site and get in the running for something big, like an EV factory or maybe a chip plant able to attract workers from metro Charlotte and the Triad. Lexington is well positioned to attract something that can bring workers from Charlotte's northern suburbs, Winston-Salem's metro, and Greensboro/High Point's metro. Whitaker Park is a reuse project, taking a once regional industrial anchor site that was thought to be abandoned to never see that use again and bringing it back as a mixed-use center for modern jobs. These older industrial developments are often very well placed, near the middle of their cities, in highly desirable sites you couldn't find today. Innovation Quarter is the type of jobs the Triad wants to attract and the image it wants... or at least that is what it's marketed as doing. I do think BOOM deserves a much higher ranking, for the regional impact it will have and I think it will be transformational for Kernersville. Of course everyone will reshuffle the list if they had to make their own list. The two biggest projects in Winston-Salem didn't make the list (two hospital projects, including an Atrium Health tower that could become a new Hawthorne Hill's tallest). I think Atrium Health's attempt to bring Wake Forest Baptist Health back to it's former glory is worthy of the list. The Novant Health project is just a big investment and I could see them leaving it off the list. Maybe an argument could be made for the Stevens Center to appear on the bottom of the list or maybe that is just an update to an existing asset and therefore doesn't belong on the list? There are also the efforts at Smith Reynolds Airport, that could attract high paying and innovative jobs, but maybe more needs to be known about that project before it makes any lists? Bringing back Smith Reynolds Airport as a noteworthy regional employment, education, and innovation center would make my list.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:14 am 

Winston-Salem is a good place to retire, according to Kiplinger: https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement/ha ... -to-retire

Kiplinger wrote:
7 Standout Places to Retire
We picked cities across the U.S. that are affordable and offer the amenities retirees value most.

#5 Winston-Salem is a hub of arts and culture. The medium-size city is home to six colleges, including Wake Forest University, which is consistently ranked among the top 30 colleges in the U.S. and brings many vibrant resources to the area. About 10 years ago, university and city leaders worked together to create the 330-acre Innovation Quarter in downtown Winston-Salem, renovating historic industrial buildings, attracting new businesses and revitalizing the area to be a center for arts, innovation and entertainment.

They have more than that to say about the city, in the link.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 12:07 am 

Quote:
Winston-Salem is the fifth-largest city in North Carolina, with a population of 249,545 people and 72 component communities. It is also the state’s capital.
Bet no one on the forum knew this. Where do the forum readers think the Capitol and legislature buildings will be located?

From
https://www.douglasma.org/advices/what-is-the-population-of-winston-salem-north-carolina/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 1:27 am 

yadkinv wrote:
Where do the forum readers think the Capitol and legislature buildings will be located?

On the soon-to-be-former site of Krankies, I reckon.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:06 am 

The Possum wrote:
yadkinv wrote:
Where do the forum readers think the Capitol and legislature buildings will be located?

On the soon-to-be-former site of Krankies, I reckon.

LOL

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 3:24 am 

The Capitol and legislature buildings are in secure and top secret underground tunnels build in WW2!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:09 pm 

Winston-Salem is #5 metro area with fastest-growing property taxes in America https://t.co/j6AxwIgDxv https://t.co/XdfxqUgSMl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 3:11 pm 

IceHombre wrote:
Winston-Salem is #5 metro area with fastest-growing property taxes in America https://t.co/j6AxwIgDxv https://t.co/XdfxqUgSMl

Ugh.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:07 pm 

One reason you and I are paying higher taxes is the subject of this article: “Why should taxpayers continue to subsidize these nonprofit hospitals and why should local communities be deprived of their property tax revenues and other revenues to fund schools, parks, etc.,” she said.

“Many of these entities are the largest users of zoning in their communities,” Folwell said. “The three biggest taxes to focus on are sales, property, and income tax (of which they are exempt). These big nonprofits get a sales tax refund while the local school districts of North Carolina do not. Does that make any sense?”

https://www.carolinajournal.com/some-no ... less-care/

"Novant Health is a not-for-profit integrated system of 15 medical centers and more than 1,800 physicians in over 800 locations, as well as numerous outpatient surgery centers, medical plazas, rehabilitation programs, diagnostic imaging centers and community health outreach programs." https://www.novanthealth.org/home/about ... ation.aspx

The same is true for Wake Forest University and the medical center. I have mixed feelings about this because they are the major drivers of our local economy and we would be in serious trouble without them, on the other hand they don't pay taxes. Therefore we (the citizens of Winston Salem/ Forsyth county) have to pay higher taxes as a result.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:58 am 

I saw this a week or two ago and the title was poorly worded. I think what they are showing are cities where home values have significantly increased, generating higher property tax bills for the homeowners and higher revenue for the cities. When your home increases in value and it's revaluated, you pay more in taxes. Cities that have experienced the biggest increase in property values / home prices are also experiencing a big jump in tax bills and tax revenue. Even if the tax rate stays the same. So, Winston-Salem is fifth in the value increase of its houses. In the version I read, they noted that Forsyth County didn't increase taxes. It's all about home prices and not local governments raising taxes.

Winston-Salem has long ranked as one of the cheapest places to buy a house. It was recently ranked the cheapest place to move to if you want to start your own business! It's interesting to see that article wasn't posted. This was one of the top-30 cites (among the 100 largest) people were moving to during the pandemic. Being so cheap led to a very sharp and dramatic increase in value. If you bought your house in January 2020 for $175,000, that same house could be valued at $235,000 today and your taxes would go up even if the tax rate stayed the same during that time. Again, that is what the article is really ranking. These higher valuations are creating very high tax bills that many didn't financially plan for. This is also what is bad about gentrification. While the gentrifiers aren't forcing anyone to move, the increase in tax values increases their tax bills and that can pressure them to leave and further drive-up values and tax bills on others in that neighborhood. This can continue until all of the neighborhood's long-time residents have moved-out and the higher-income residents who can afford the new values have replaced them. Even if you rent, the landlord will pass the higher tax bills from higher tax valuations on to the renters who may not be able to afford those increases.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next