WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:25 am 

As suspected nationally (and the uninformed) think W-S is a suburb of Greensboro.

Quote:
#7 in Best Suburbs to Live in Greensboro Area

[url]niche.com[/url]

Quote:
2021 Best Cities to Live in the Greensboro Area

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:34 am 

yadkinv wrote:
As suspected nationally (and the uninformed) think W-S is a suburb of Greensboro.

Quote:
#7 in Best Suburbs to Live in Greensboro Area

[url]niche.com[/url]

Quote:
2021 Best Cities to Live in the Greensboro Area

Can you repost the link. I can’t open it, Thnx.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:10 am 

zalo wrote:

Can you repost the link. I can’t open it, Thnx.

https://www.niche.com/places-to-live/se ... boro-area/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:01 pm 

Well, if it’s any consolation, Niche also has Durham lumped into the “Raleigh Area” :dead:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:36 pm 

Not much - this sort of thing imbeds the notion nationally that Winston-Salem is a suburb or at best in the Greensboro sphere - never mind it's its own MSA; the constraints when two places in the same CSA are virtual equals, which is why no doubt Greensboro went on the annexation frenzy in the 70s & 80s.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:06 am 

yadkinv wrote:
Not much - this sort of thing imbeds the notion nationally that Winston-Salem is a suburb or at best in the Greensboro sphere - never mind it's its own MSA; the constraints when two places in the same CSA are virtual equals, which is why no doubt Greensboro went on the annexation frenzy in the 70s & 80s.

Durham is also in its own MSA.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:24 am 

At least Durham is posted with Raleigh on flight announcements in airports nationwide. W-S is not so posted with Greensboro, which means it’s Greensboro Airport not the illusory appellation PTI, which no one uses outside of the so-called triad and the NC government because it sounds good.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:40 pm 

I hope everyone is safe, and let's hope that this story is forgotten about in a week or two...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/01/us/winst ... index.html

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 6:41 am 

5 Surprising Cities Set To Become Boomtowns in 2022

https://money.yahoo.com/5-surprising-ci ... 09317.html

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Winston-Salem is part of an up-and-coming section of North Carolina referred to as the Carolina Core. Symeria Palmer, account manager at Development Counsellors International, says this area is drawing a lot of attention from potential buyers. “In the Core, businesses and people can access North Carolina’s fast-growing metros, each embracing its own distinct personality offering an affordable place to live with a myriad of lifestyle activities catering to the under-40 community,” Palmer says.

“The Carolina Core has a talent pool of more than 2 million people, access to 30+ colleges and universities, and multiple airports.”

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:43 am 

Most Affordable Downtowns To Live In Across America

https://www.gobankingrates.com/investin ... s-america/

Winston-Salem is actually #1 on this list.

Quote:
1. Winston-Salem, North Carolina — 27101

Selected monthly owner costs: $1,085
Median rent: $714
Monthly cost of utilities: $147
Monthly public transportation pass: $30

Winston-Salem ranks as No. 1 on the list of affordable downtowns. It was founded by Moravians in 1753 and, along with nearby Greensboro, is known as the furniture capital of the world, in addition to the host of the largest pottery community in the country.

The 27101 ZIP code in downtown Winston-Salem proper is the home of the Winston-Salem Downtown Arts District, a burgeoning regional culinary scene and charming cobblestone streets, and it offers the least-expensive utilities of any city on the list. Every spring, the city hosts the RiverRun International Film Festival.

Wouldn't it be nice to rent a place downtown for $714 or less. I think 27101 runs from downtown through East Winston and nearly to the western edges of Walkertown and Kernersville? If it was the median for just downtown, it would likely be 50% higher or maybe more and Winston-Salem wouldn't be #1 on the list?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:54 am 

Not Winston specific, but about Atrium. I was surprised to read about them on CNN Business this AM:

"In its search to find workers, North-Carolina based health care provider Atrium Health is offering sign-on bonuses from $3,000 to $10,000 for some of its clinical and patient-facing roles, like certified medical assistants or nurses.

"It's a tight labor market now, especially in health care, so there is a lot of competition out there," said Jim Dunn, executive vice president and enterprise chief people and culture officer at Atrium Health.
And for some positions in more rural areas, the bonuses can go as high as $17,500. "That is something we did not do before March 2020," said Dunn.

The company also gave all its workers a 4% raise last year.

To help attract workers, the company also adopted a "fast hire approach" that aims to get offers to candidates quickly, and in some cases, on the same day they interview.

"For many of our roles that don't require licensure or certification ... you show up, get a same-day offer and begin work the following Monday, if possible," said Dunn."

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/17/success/ ... index.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:06 am 

WSBornNBred wrote:
5 Surprising Cities Set To Become Boomtowns in 2022

https://money.yahoo.com/5-surprising-ci ... 09317.html

Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Winston-Salem is part of an up-and-coming section of North Carolina referred to as the Carolina Core. Symeria Palmer, account manager at Development Counsellors International, says this area is drawing a lot of attention from potential buyers. “In the Core, businesses and people can access North Carolina’s fast-growing metros, each embracing its own distinct personality offering an affordable place to live with a myriad of lifestyle activities catering to the under-40 community,” Palmer says.

“The Carolina Core has a talent pool of more than 2 million people, access to 30+ colleges and universities, and multiple airports.”

The city pays a marketing firm over $100k a year to get us on lists like this. You may recall a year or two ago that Winston-Salem was listed as one of Readers Digest's "best places to retire." We paid to get on that list too I understand.

Last edited by randalljs14 on Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:17 am 

I don’t find much value in these listicles either, but I don’t think it’s fair to describe retired people as coming here to grow old and die. My in-laws retired here 5 years ago from up north and they are very active in the community. Certainly we want to attract young people but being a nice area to retire in is a benefit to our community as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:27 am 

Agreed, BVR. Retirees spend more money on healthcare, which produces more jobs. Retirees that are able to move across the country typically have disposable income, and will likely frequent restaurants and galleries. My retired parents undoubtedly spend more money in the W-S community than I do - because they have more time. I may go out to eat twice a month. They go out 5x per week.

As with everything, balance is key.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:31 am 

randalljs14 wrote:

"When it's your time to get old and die, do it here!"

"When you're hellbent on dying before you get old, do it here!"

- Asheville

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next