WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Thu May 19, 2022 10:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:08 pm 

WSJ just reported Southern Living lists W-S as one of South’s best cities on the rise whatever that means. Sorry, but I think it’s a ho-hum video.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:22 am 

The New York Times showed what you can get for $300,000 in three different states, including a house in Winston-Salem.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/real ... olina.html

This is their description of Winston-Salem:
New York Times wrote:
less than five miles west of downtown Winston-Salem, with its 330-acre Innovation Quarter devoted to research in science and technology, and Old Salem Museums & Gardens, a complex of historic sites celebrating the racial and cultural diversity of the American South. Two local hospitals attract health professionals to the neighborhood. Wake Forest University is four miles north.

With the highest home price increases in the state (CoreLogic) and appearances in multiple publications as an awesome city, I think Winston-Salem is becoming known as a place to move to. I'm guessing it's on its way to becoming a trendy city. It can take a decade or two before a city sees the rapid growth that follows. It's great to see the city described as Innovation Quarter, a city for health professionals, and Old Salem. I also see the positive impact of Frank, on Old Salem, appearing in the article. Though it may seem short and the photograph for Winston-Salem isn't showing for me, this should be good attracting more people to Winston-Salem and maybe placing this city on the radar of businesses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:47 am 

Winston-Salem named second best tech job market for women in America. It’s one of two cities where women in STEM make more than men per mediafeed.org -

https://mediafeed.org/the-best-american ... for-women/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:30 am 

Fourth and Main wrote:
The New York Times showed what you can get for $300,000 in three different states, including a house in Winston-Salem.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/07/real ... olina.html

This is their description of Winston-Salem:
New York Times wrote:
less than five miles west of downtown Winston-Salem, with its 330-acre Innovation Quarter devoted to research in science and technology, and Old Salem Museums & Gardens, a complex of historic sites celebrating the racial and cultural diversity of the American South. Two local hospitals attract health professionals to the neighborhood. Wake Forest University is four miles north.

With the highest home price increases in the state (CoreLogic) and appearances in multiple publications as an awesome city, I think Winston-Salem is becoming known as a place to move to. I'm guessing it's on its way to becoming a trendy city. It can take a decade or two before a city sees the rapid growth that follows. It's great to see the city described as Innovation Quarter, a city for health professionals, and Old Salem. I also see the positive impact of Frank, on Old Salem, appearing in the article. Though it may seem short and the photograph for Winston-Salem isn't showing for me, this should be good attracting more people to Winston-Salem and maybe placing this city on the radar of businesses.

Interesting. It looks like that is a reoccurring article that the NYT publishes ("What 300K Buys You in Different States"). Although that house is nice, they could have found one closer to $300,000 - I'm not sure why they picked one that was $250K.

Our local housing market remains strong. The WSJ reported yesterday that the W-S metro had the highest year-over-year percentage gains in housing prices, beating out Charlotte, GSO, Raleigh and Durham. Our prices still have a ways to go to reach Charlotte and Raleigh, so we still may be considered undervalued. I wondered if supply might finally outstrip demand in March during "Match Day" which is a huge time for real estate in the area. Tons of houses in and around WFBMC went up for sale - at a this point, just about every one of them is under contract and some have already sold for over asking. Demand remains very strong and the housing supply (especially around that $300K price point) remains extremely tight.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:29 am 

If one takes a look at the monthly planning board agendas over the last couple of years, the submittals for new subdivisions has been pretty robust, it seems more so today than after the recovery from the Great Recession 10+ years ago. I've been very pleased to see the number of in-town developments that have been approved & under construction.

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:40 pm 

Quote:
A 2015 Harvard University study found that Forsyth County has the third worst economic mobility in the United States, and a 2014 Brookings study found that Winston-Salem, the county seat, has the second fastest rate in the growth of poverty concentration in the country.

Housing Loss in Forsyth County, North Carolina

https://www.newamerica.org/future-land- ... -carolina/

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:17 am 

Chris Paul, as always, showing much love to his hometown, this time by wearing a Camel City Goods Winston-Salem hat in his post-game press conference after the Suns made the NBA Finals. Paul scored 41 points.

Here is the hat - https://www.camelcitygoods.com/products ... back-black

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:41 pm 

Forbes names Industry Hill as a neighborhood to watch. It's actually a bit cooler than it sounds - this isn't a list with a ton of different neighborhoods mentioned. This is one article featuring only Industry Hill. It looks like they have only done four other neighborhood to watch articles, featuring neighborhoods in DC, Greenville, SC, Chattanooga and West Palm Beach.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rogersands ... 3c709c6f0f

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:34 pm 

This is a great plug. Not just one of those typically written dibs that gives two or three of the hot spots.
It just about hits all the players in the edges of the north district of the IQ, and the arts district.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:18 pm 

That was a great article!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:10 am 

This great article is just a continuation of the strong, encouraging press that we’ve seen over the past several years. The positive documentation by nationally relevant publications of the successes (however we here on the forum feel are inadequate) provides a compelling validation for future new to city businesses/entrepreneurs that Winston is the place to grow & thrive. I don’t believe that the habitual naysayers have a valid argument that Camel City’s P.R. game is lame!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 12:39 am 

UNCSA appears in the New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/07/thea ... olina.html

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:54 pm 

In today's WSJ https://journalnow.com/news/local/winston-salem-ranks-among-nations-top-50-best-places-to-live-says-us-news/article_42a535fc-e3fb-11eb-9927-7780404dd0a1.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:59 am 

Old Salem should partner with Krispy Kreme to reconstruct the original structure at the site (the structure that was there before the building Krispy Kreme was in) and make it a museum for the doughnut maker. It's a missed opportunity to find a corporate partner to reconstruct a missing structure and to add a noteworthy new tourist attraction. I seem to remember Krispy Kreme saying they would construct a museum? That corner of the square is clearly missing a building.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:45 am 

This in yesterday's Charlotte Disturber:

Raleigh and Winston-Salem are NC safest cities

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... =mainstage

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next