WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
 Post subject: Re: Local Politics
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:28 pm 

zalo wrote:
I would have preferred that the races were non-partisan so that we would not be constrained to just Democrat & Republican candidates, (especially considering how bat-sh*t crazy the R's have become) That is the biggest flaw to this bill in that it prohibits an Independent candidate from running on their own.

I'd prefer our City Council, School Board, and all other local races be non-partisan. The GOP is a white supremacist hate group as far as I'm concerned. I do not trust anything its members propose.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:47 pm 

I wrote to Representative Lambeth and Representative Zenger to request that they propose a bill to do the same thing to the Forsyth County Commission, which is gerrymandered to produce a preordained result at every election: two African-American Democrats and four White Republicans. Adding two more at-large members would help to balance the membership of the Commission.

Mr. Zenger did not bother to respond. Mr. Lambeth did, but with a one-word response: "Thanks."

:tdown: :tdown:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:22 pm 

Washington Parker wrote:
I wrote to Representative Lambeth and Representative Zenger to request that they propose a bill to do the same thing to the Forsyth County Commission, which is gerrymandered to produce a preordained result at every election: two African-American Democrats and four White Republicans. Adding two more at-large members would help to balance the membership of the Commission.

Mr. Zenger did not bother to respond. Mr. Lambeth did, but with a one-word response: "Thanks."

:tdown: :tdown:

That says quite a lot about Mr. Lambeth. So what’s good for the city is not good for the county? :thinking:

Last edited by zalo on Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:14 pm 

zalo wrote:
Washington Parker wrote:

That’s says quite a lot about Mr. Lambeth. So what’s good for the city is not good for the county? :thinking:

The County Commission has a Republican majority, you see, and Lambeth and Zenger are just fine with that because they are Republicans. The City Council has a Democratic majority and therefore needs "fixing." It's purely partisan.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:46 pm 

The thing is it doesn’t necessarily portend that Republicans would pick up either one or both those at large seats. To the east of us, the consistent number one vote getter in the at large races is a left of center Democrat ( Yvonne Johnson)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 9:32 pm 

Quote:
We assert that our sheriff’s victim-blaming was not only reckless but was irresponsible. For starters, the event was held in the crown jewel of Winston-Salem-its downtown. The event was not held where those who feel the effects of violence live. How silly to hold a “rally” in cushy Winston Salem with a beautiful backdrop of a waterfall and nice steps, which makes for a nice photo op by the way, where the city has invested billions of dollars instead of investing in the most marginalized and oppressed people who are most at risk for gun and gang violence.

https://medium.com/@triciasdaughter/by- ... cf08ed26c8

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 2:26 am 

Was very disappointed that Ted Kaplan lost Dan Besse in the at large County Commissioner’s race. Kaplan was especially active in the affairs of Smith Reynolds airport. I hope that Besse will be a champion the airport as well as Kaplan has done during his tenure.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:42 am 

Besse campaigned hard, but I was surprised to see him overcome an incumbent so handily-- roughly a 60/40 vote split. But even so, there were only about 20k votes cast in the contest, so a relatively small group of voters can make a significant difference. Gotta love the scale of local elections.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:56 am 

If one does not vote, one cannot complain, can one?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 204 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14