WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Image of Winston-Salem
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:55 pm 

Whether you agree with this decision, politically or on religious grounds, it will make Winston-Salem appear more progressive. I'm not sure how the other two triad metros compare....they don't have benefits to city employees, do they?

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/wi ... b2370.html

On another note, there are those on the city data forum who declare that the 'other' triad city is more diverse. I strongly disagree. The points argued relate to the number of the Jewish population ( :huh: because of the fact that the Cone family started a mill in town, which doesn't even make sense), the point that the Quakers were "progressive abolitionists" and the four lunch counter protesters who did the sit-in at Woolworths were from that city (every major town in the South at the time had a sit-in), the greater number of roads with more lanes and flyover ramps (in the periphery of the city, of course), and a greater number of ethnic restaurants.

I would argue that Winston-Salem has far more people of the creative class, artists, writers, actors and the like who live in the city. It is home to the School of the Arts of course. And Wake's student body is far more diverse ethnically per capita than UNCG. There are more scientists who populate the medical centers and research park in Winston-Salem. It depends on how and what disection of the population you look at to create your opinion, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:27 pm 

It's about time. Asheville, a city of arts and innovation, did this over four years ago.

Until religious organizations pay taxes, this is none of their concern. Any "religion" which opposes equal rights should probably be investigated as a potential tax-evading hate group.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:24 am 

I've asked for Winston-Salem to do this (LGBT benefits) for years. It was one of the reasons I wasn't always so supportive of the mayor. I see it has finally happened, but not because of action from council. I agree with The Possum. This is something they should've done years ago.

The first sit-in wasn't in Greensboro. The first sit-in was in the Royal Ice Cream Parlor in Durham, in 1957. Something Greensboro would prefer for you to not know. The Civil Rights Museum belongs in Durham, where the sit-in movement started. The first sit-in victory was in Winston-Salem. Yes, Winston-Salem was the first city in the south to desegregate its lunch counters! Greensboro was still fighting to keep their lunch counters segregated. I'm guessing Greensboro was the first city to have a nationally televised sit-in, due to the strong resistance of Greensboro businesses to desegregate? I still see Greensboro on the news, nearly every year, for discrimination and intolerance issues.

If you're a minority or a member of the LGBT community, Winston-Salem is the best city in the Triad to live, work, play, go to school in, and start your business in. Great sprawl reduction planning has also made it a city with a great quality of life. This is just my opinion, but I think you should focus on telling everyone that Winston-Salem has greater acceptance/tolerance, lower taxes, and a better quality of life. That really makes Winston-Salem the preferred destination of anyone moving to the Triad. Did you know: Winston-Salem had the first African-American councilperson (called alderman at that time) in the South, in 1947. The Winston-Salem Fire Department has an interesting history. Winston-Salem formed the state's first integrated Fire Company and had the first African-American fire chief in the state.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 11:55 am 

Fourth and Main wrote:
I've asked for Winston-Salem to do this (LGBT benefits) for years. It was one of the reasons I wasn't always so supportive of the mayor. I see it has finally happened, but not because of action from council. I agree with The Possum. This is something they should've done years ago.

The first sit-in wasn't in Greensboro. The first sit-in was in the Royal Ice Cream Parlor in Durham, in 1957. Something Greensboro would prefer for you to not know. The Civil Rights Museum belongs in Durham, where the sit-in movement started. The first sit-in victory was in Winston-Salem. Yes, Winston-Salem was the first city in the south to desegregate its lunch counters! Greensboro was still fighting to keep their lunch counters segregated. I'm guessing Greensboro was the first city to have a nationally televised sit-in, due to the strong resistance of Greensboro businesses to desegregate? I still see Greensboro on the news, nearly every year, for discrimination and intolerance issues.

If you're a minority or a member of the LGBT community, Winston-Salem is the best city in the Triad to live, work, play, go to school in, and start your business in. Great sprawl reduction planning has also made it a city with a great quality of life. This is just my opinion, but I think you should focus on telling everyone that Winston-Salem has greater acceptance/tolerance, lower taxes, and a better quality of life. That really makes Winston-Salem the preferred destination of anyone moving to the Triad. Did you know: Winston-Salem had the first African-American councilperson (called alderman at that time) in the South, in 1947. The Winston-Salem Fire Department has an interesting history. Winston-Salem formed the state's first integrated Fire Company and had the first African-American fire chief in the state.

I think most people know a lot of this, hence the reason for all of the constant grasping for attention from the city to the east. I have always liked Winston-Salem's quiet confidence...much classier than the self-esteem/lack of identity issues that are always on display with the bragging and one-upmanship from our neighbor.

And definitely a win for LBGT benefits. It's about the time...the tide is quickly turning.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:06 am 

Check out this news release from GSO. Notice the mayoral comments at the end. Once again Vaughn on behalf of GSO is out there trolling for ideas/direction on a topic while Joines on behalf of Winston, already has a plan in action. :alright: And when you look at the agenda, you'll notice that Durham's mayor as well as Winston's mayor has a topic for review. Greensboro's mayoral responsibility is taking charge of asking questions. I will say that this summit is an ingenious way to pump up attendance figures at that failing museum. I hope Vaughn is providing a good lunch for all this free advice.

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/index.aspx ... 72&page=36

http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/modules/sh ... ntid=25364

Also, I too am glad that this LGBT benefits issue has been finally dealt with. Regardless of "old school sensibilities", a city working toward shifting their economic future toward a new economy of science/technology has to get issues like this right.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:25 pm 

Rubeville rears its ugly head: Republican groups plan to protest the drag queen story time at Bookmarks, part of the Pride celebration this Saturday. Counter demonstrations are also planned.

https://journalnow.com/news/local/repub ... 10fec.html

This will no doubt get lots of media coverage (ooooh, conflict!!!) I'm sure that THIS is not the progressive image that the city would like to project.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:31 am 

This is national. Conservatives are planning protests at several of these drag queen story time bookstore events during Pride Month. The national news showed one of these protests in Oakland, California a few days ago. A very liberal area (The San Francisco / Bay Area is possibly the most liberal metro area in the nation?). Bookmarks is in an area where a protest like this could be difficult? It's surrounded by private property and I don't think it fronts a public sidewalk? Even the access tunnel from Fourth Street is likely private property? I'm guessing the parking lot is, too? If these conservative protestors set foot on private property and are told to leave, they are trespassing. If that is so, Bookmarks is a great place to hold events like this. I think, if Winston-Salem's appears on the national news, it will place Winston-Salem side-by-side with sizable liberal cities in other states/regions. Sizable counter-protests (and if there is low turnout by conservatives) will show Winston-Salem is an accepting place. It could also encourage more people to go to Pride this year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:52 pm 

Five protest, 200 Counterprotest

https://journalnow.com/news/local/pride ... e85a3.html