WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:28 am 

WSBornNBred wrote:

“Should [conference headquarters] be aligned with media opportunities?” Phillips said then. “Should it be aligned with Fortune 100, 200, 500 companies? Should it be aligned with corporate sponsorship opportunities? Should it be aligned with a city that could host championships or does host championships? …

Absolutely! Smart move.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:23 pm 

It literally fixes nothing. The ACC is living on borrowed time.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:56 pm 

Quote:
The ACC is living on borrowed time.
Why is that?

Oh, Charlotte stole the ACC Headquarters from Greensboro. That’s not quite like stealing Wachovia, Krispy Kreme, BB&T (still having trouble with that awful name Truist). What else did I forget having been stolen. Hey, business is business.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 7:13 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
Quote:
Why is that?

Oh, Charlotte stole the ACC Headquarters from Greensboro. That’s not quite like stealing Wachovia, Krispy Kreme, BB&T (still having trouble with that awful name Truist). What else did I forget having been stolen. Hey, business is business.

The ACC had financially fallen behind the Big10 and SEC, and Clemson/FSU/Miami/UNC are looking to get out. If any are able to break the GOR agreement, the ACC is toast. Otherwise, it will likely be done in 2034 when the agreement ends.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:13 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
Quote:
Why is that?

The ACC’s problems have nothing to do with where the headquarters is located. I wasn’t saying that them moving puts them on borrowed time. It’s pretty common knowledge there is a huge revenue gap between conferences and the most attractive brands in the ACC are going to bolt as soon as the grant of rights gets near the end so they can get the higher payout. So I don’t understand why you are conflating my post with those other headquarters moving.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:36 pm 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/ ... uncil.html

Now it appears as if Charlotte wants the Winston-Salem Open or Charleston Open? Maybe they will look at the Charleston Open, since it's a 500 event and Winston-Salem's is a 250. A 500 attracts bigger stars and is held in a bigger facility, but the Charleston Open is a women's ATP event. I seem to remember Charlotte stole Johnson & Wales from Charleston, so they would be open to stealing from them, too.

Charlotte has top-level major league sports in everything from NASCAR to NFL to NBA to MLS and I'm sure there are others we could name. Winston-Salem has tennis and cycling. Winston-Salem's tennis event doesn't have a title sponsor so Winston-Salem can appear in international sports news and help the city get its name out there. Can't they leave the Triad alone. If Charlotte could, I'm sure they would try to relocate Old Salem and the Lincoln Financial Building. Maybe Winston-Salem (and Greensboro/High Point, too!) should aggressively go after smaller companies and smaller events in Charlotte, with relocation pitches? Try to take a few from them. Admittedly, the Triad won't be able to talk a Fortune 500 or 1000 company or an NBA team into moving, but maybe a smaller company, smaller convention/trade show and smaller sports event would seriously listen to a Triad pitch for relocation and give the area the feeling of finally taking something from Charlotte. Maybe Greater Winston-Salem could base someone in Charlotte to focus on that, with incentives ready?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:32 am 

WSJ article today: "The ACC is moving to the 'Great State of Charlotte?' Meh. We've seen this before."

This is the key statement in the article: From Mayor Joines: “I would just say it’s the nature of life where folks make decisions that aren’t reflective of your community,” he said. “I felt that way with Truist. You just can’t take it personally.”

That is the problem with Winston Salem in a nutshell."You can't take it personally"......excuse me??? I'll have much more about this later, but as the mayor, you MUST take this stuff personally and freaking do something about it!!!! That's your job!!! After that statement, the Mayor needs to resign and let someone who will take these issues personally, and someone who will be motivated to get this city going again, take over his position. Folks, we have met the enemy and he is us!! It's all very clear to me now.

Link to the article: https://journalnow.com/news/local/the-a ... -top-story

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:37 am 

waggonera wrote:
Folks, we have met the enemy and he is us!!

I believe a possum said that. :yesyes:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:06 am 

And now Charlotte wants the Winston-Salem Open - it figures and Wake Forest will surrender it since they surrendered all scheduling to Greensboro assuring nothing of importance in W-S (Greensboro had nothing large enough for the McCartney concert).

Agreed, statements as the mayor made indicates to everyone "come and get us'"

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:33 am 

yadkinv wrote:
And now Charlotte wants the Winston-Salem Open - it figures and Wake Forest will surrender it since they surrendered all scheduling to Greensboro assuring nothing of importance in W-S (Greensboro had nothing large enough for the McCartney concert).

Agreed, statements as the mayor made indicates to everyone "come and get us'"

Please people, we come here to be fairly informed. At the same time, we live in a world of armchair experts, misinformation, and heresay....more so thanks to the World Wide Web and social media, much less a forum. So unless you have proven facts, or can or cannot distinguish sarcasm and jest from real time, why assume or further imply that anything is true??

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:44 am 

OK, I reckon I am now informed, but must say while agreeing the principal reason for the forum is for discussing activities backed by solid and documented facts, until now I thought it was also desirable and useful and informative to offer opinionated views, of course, clearly stated as such.

It might be a shallow observance, but it does seem that W-S and dare I use the hollow reference triad are/is, that is, serves as an incubator for the greatness of Charlotte.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:10 pm 

waggonera wrote:
the Mayor needs to resign

I heard he was born in Kenya.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:07 pm 

don flow brought the tourney to WS and pays for it to be here. i'd be shocked if he let that leave town especially now that it has started to get a good footing.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:43 pm 

This is an interesting article from Forbes regarding Boom. Rick Deurloo, president of Pratt & Whitney commercial engines described Boom Supersonic as “a very interesting business model (with) good interest from airlines,” referring to orders by American, United and others.“I think there is something there,” Deurloo said. “We think it’s an interesting business. We have conversations. I’m not aware of anybody telling them we’re not interested.”

The article was about P&W's (a division of Raytheon) new Asheville manufacturing plant. Here is a link to the article: https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/20 ... d1e26325da

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:25 am 

The title of the article is not very encouraging.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next