WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: HIGH POINT
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:14 pm 

Tragic part of this is didn't the parties involved just work out the financials on how to pay for the renovation within the last week? Talk about bad luck!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:12 pm 

I really wanted to see that building preserved! It's sad to see it collapse. How is the Cascade Saloon doing? I've expecting to hear news of its collapse from one of these storms.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:37 pm 

Much of the remaining facade fell into the street this afternoon:

http://www.wxii12.com/news/high-points- ... 366#!XHxmL

The rest of the structure was leveled by a city crew. The owners had decades to make repairs. Shame on them! Shame, shame, shame!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:51 pm 

It's slightly and sadly reminiscent of the loss of our Romanesque Revival marvel on Fourth Street, isn't it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:59 pm 

wsnc62 wrote:
It's slightly and sadly reminiscent of the loss of our Romanesque Revival marvel on Fourth Street, isn't it?

I thought of the Crawford Building today myself. The facade could have been preserved, but was not. At least Winston-Salem fessed up to its neglect, unlike some in High Point who are now blaming the collapse on a lightning strike during last night's thunderstorm, rather than rain pouring into the building through an un-maintained roof which had previously collapsed . . . as clearly illustrated by this photo:

http://www.hpe.com/archive/x135061893/g ... ee8716.jpg

That didn't happen last night.

Last edited by The Possum on Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:09 pm 

So the owners were so selfish that they would rather have the building collapse than attempt to truly preserve the legacy of the structure? :huh: I guess the phrase "Karma's a B*tch" applies here. That picture is truly criminal.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:27 pm 

zalo wrote:
So the owners were so selfish that they would rather have the building collapse than attempt to truly preserve the legacy of the structure? :huh: I guess the phrase "Karma's a B*tch" applies here. That picture is truly criminal.

"Everything happens for a reason . . ."

http://www.wfmynews2.com/video/25586299 ... ilby-Hotel

Oh, shut up!

This article from last November offers plenty of insight:

http://yesweekly.com/article-permalink-16789.html

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:02 am 

A fire on April 18, 1957, in the Crawford Building's hotel floors, led to a large hole in the roof. No one bothered to repair it and just leased the ground floor. There was a small effort to do something about it, when preservationists stopped a proposal to demolish it, around 1980. However, that went nowhere. After about four decades, it finally collapsed, during a Sunday thunderstorm. The windows and the inside were still covered in soot, from the 1957 fire.

http://www.digitalforsyth.org

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:18 pm 

Here's the article regarding The Kilby's savior. If only we can wind the clock back a few months...But I believe Mr. Jones may have been a tad too optimistic on the outcome. Then again who knows perhaps it could have been a Triad Beale Street.

As proponents of the City Project waited to vent, city council learned that Community Builders, a California-based nonprofit, has agreed to buy the Kilby Hotel, a landmark, historically black-owned enterprise that is considered the anchor of the Washington Street business district. The city has been holding a demolition order over the century-old hotel for about six months, and the building has become an albatross for a district where renewal has remained seemingly stillborn for decades.

Charity Belton, a transplant from Long Beach, Calif. who serves as president of the Washington Street Business Association, told council members that representatives from Community Builders were en route to High Point, but their flight didn’t allow them to make it to the meeting. Appearing with her in council chambers were Earl Jones, co-founder of the International Civil Rights Center & Museum in Greensboro and a former state lawmaker who represented High Point, and Doug Harris, a Greensboro lawyer who is on the civil rights museum’s board of directors. Belton said Community Builders is also interested in salvaging First Baptist Church, a majestic brick structure across the street from the hotel that has also been condemned.

“You have the restaurants down there and a jazz club, Jackie’s Place,” Jones said in the lobby after the presentation, outlining a vision for Washington Street. “You put this piece together with the church. It has a historical look. It reminds me of Beale Street or Bourbon Street. It would just be a draw for the furniture market; you could have people coming from across the Triad on Friday evening or Saturday evening for festivals. You’ve got the John Coltrane monument nearby. If you take a mindset of preservation, Washington Street has a lot of potential. You don’t have a street like that that’s intact like that.”

Jones said the estimated cost of renovating the Kilby is $3.5 million; the estimated cost to shore up the building is $140,000 to $170,000.
(I'm guessing cost of clean up around $8,000 to$10,000 :( )

http://triad-city-beat.com/high-point-j ... anguishes/

Last edited by zalo on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:45 pm 

zalo wrote:
"You don’t have a street like that that’s intact like that.”

You sure don't.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:37 pm 

"That's" true

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:42 pm 

Merz North America — part of the global pharmaceutical company Merz Pharma Group — is moving its headquarters from High Point to Raleigh. The announcement was made at a press conference Wednesday afternoon in downtown Raleigh where Gov. Pat McCrory was on hand to announce more details. The new headquarters is expected to house 250 employees, including 50 new jobs. It will move operations from the current headquarters 4215 Tudor Lane in High Point as well as other U.S. sites to Raleigh. Merz is currently leasing 60,000 square feet of space at 6501 Six Forks Road in Raleigh.

While the company considered several metro areas in three states — including an expansion in the Greensboro area — Raleigh won, even though no incentives were issued. "The incentives weren't as important to us as the fit — the fit was perfect for us," says Michael McMyne, senior director of Commercial Excellence and North American Strategic Implementation at Merz. In the end, it was the Triangle talent force, fueled by the three major universities. "Forty percent of life science industry companies in some way, shape or form call Raleigh home," CEO Bill Humphries says. "You have the best and brightest minds." From the TBJ.

Not good for H.P. or the Triad. Too bad an I.Q. location was not an option.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:39 pm 

zalo wrote:
Too bad an I.Q. location was not an option.

I'll agree with that. You know, it's really funny and sort of ironic, that one day our Lady Susan Cameron seemingly saves jobs for the boro (at least for the time being) with all the brand swapping between RAI, Lorillard, and Imperial.....the very next, it is announced that, what one would consider more high tech, 250 jobs will be pulled from the boro and go to Raleigh. What is even more perplexing, is that one news source says these jobs are currently in Greensboro, another says they are in High Point. Which is it? The finger jointed limits of western Guilford make it so that even news agencies don't know where something is located. The Merz website lists the address in the boro....yet it is practically across Piedmont Parkway from Ralph Lauren, in High Point.

It is not clear whether these jobs will be in downtown Raleigh where Governor McCrory made the announcement, or in north Raleigh where the given address is located in the news release. Perhaps there was a move in ready facility available for this pharmaceutical outfit....otherwise, I cannot summize why they would want to be in northern suburban Wake Co and not closer to the three triangle universities, or near RTP. The officials at WFIQ may realise that it is wise, in order to recruit high tech companies sooner rather than later, to go up with one or two NEW buildings in the IQ that could be marketed to prospective companies such as MERK. Otherwise, it will take another 10 to 20 years, or longer, to see the build out and filling up of available space in the IQ, while they focus on one or two projects at a time before thinking about who else might be a good tenant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:53 pm 

Piedmont Center is wholly in the High Point city limits. However, a pretty large section of the park is assigned a GSO zip code. Which is where the confusion lies and I'm sure a great deal of consternation among High Pointers. That area of North Raleigh where Merz is going has a good deal of office space and as best as I can recall, does house a good number of so called high tech & pharma companies. The residential areas up there are sought out. That's when you know your city has arrived when firms such as this populate across the entire city.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:18 pm 

And now you see the importance of growing Salem College and WSSU in science and math related degrees. That science & math campus at Salem College will have a big impact on this city and the IQ.

It also shows the importance of clustering. The Triad needs to cluster its research & technology companies in Winston-Salem's IQ District, just as we have clustered furniture companies in High Point. We also need to help Greensboro grow their airport and attract major aerospace manufacturing operations there (Winston-Salem has helped with this through incentives for Honda Jet and leadership). That means when a tech company in Guilford is ready to expand, they need to look at space in the IQ and if they support the Triad, consider moving at least part of their operations there (this hasn't happened). RFMD should consider moving the Triad's half of their dual headquarters (just the few HQ jobs) or maybe part of their R&D labs to the Innovation Quarter. Transtech Pharma should do the same, while keeping a large presence in their current city. Lab Corp., should establish a presence in the Innovation Quarter! I'm not saying they have to move everything to the IQ, just create a small presence there. All of the Triad universities need to consolidate research there. I also think Winston-Salem's research and tech companies should consider establishing a presence in the Innovation Quarter. Just those few small leases would create an impressive cluster in the Innovation Quarter and a great knowledge sharing environment that moves closer to becoming a tech magnet for the Triad. When we have a research & technology cluster and today, those clusters are centered around MAJOR research universities (Wake Forest University is the only one in the Triad) and university medical centers (Baptist Hospital in Winston-Salem is the only one in the Triad) in warehouse districts in downtowns (only available in downtown Winston-Salem), then we will see something similar to what Raleigh-Durham is experiencing. And as we can see by Durham's RTP, it does benefit the entire multi-county metro area. I think if all three metro areas would focus on clusters (Winston-Salem as the research & tech center - High Point as furniture - Greensboro in large scale aerospace manufacturing & distribution), the entire Triad could thrive and see growth similar to or maybe better than (due to having three cores) the state's two largest consolidated metros.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next