WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: P.T.I.A.
PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:40 am 

walker wrote:
Greensboro Winston-Salem High Point. Airport code GWH.
Call it Greensboro, wishton, highpoint

I agree. The name is long but it's accurate. I checked and the code GWH is apparently available.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:13 pm 

Washington Parker wrote:
walker wrote:
Greensboro Winston-Salem High Point. Airport code GWH.
Call it Greensboro, wishton, highpoint

I agree. The name is long but it's accurate. I checked and the code GWH is apparently available.

I agree as well. It’s only two syllables longer than Central North Carolina.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:44 am 

Just a report - I was passing through Newark, New Jersey Airport a few days ago where the airport departure boards listed Raleigh/Durham and even Greenville/Spartanburg and the announcements fully announced Raleigh/Durham and Greenville/Spartanburg. But, the board posted only Greensboro and the announcement was only Greensboro. So, how is Greensboro/Winston-Salem more difficult to post than Greenville/Spartanburg and how is it possibly more of a mouthful than Greensboro/Winston-Salem. Triadism, ha. This is unfair, inexplicable, and even bad for business (even for Greensboro). Still, the fault is with W-S and Forsyth- the members of the PTI Board from W-S and Forsyth should resign or have backing from officials in W-S and Forsyth to fix this egregious disrespect for W-S.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:29 am 

I wrote a comment on the PII website and received a personal response. They are soliciting input. So, if you care about this, take the time to add your voice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:14 pm 

I don’t know if this is the correct topic section for this comment, but I’ll post it here anyway. Several people (on many occasions) have talked about the “airport” issue that we face. I totally agree that we have a serious problem. Let me give you several examples. I know of two specific instances that occurred several years ago where travelers from Germany and New Zealand needed to visit Winston Salem. When they made the reservations, they were directed to Charlotte because “Winston Salem” didn’t show up in the searches for flights. If you want to try this on a “travel” website try this: attempt to find some available flights to Winston Salem from an airport in Europe or Asia or Dubai on a travel search engine. You need to use a VPN to shift your “location” to a server in Europe or Asia etc. On many occasions Winston won’t show up as a valid destination. If your city doesn’t show up on the air travel search engines, then you simply don’t exist! If you are a traveler coming to Winston Salem for the first time, in many cases you will be routed to Charlotte as the final destination.

In my opinion, this is a “die on the sword” issue for the city. The name of PTI/GSO absolutely must change to Greensboro/Winston Salem/High Point International Airport. If we don’t get our city of Winston Salem included in the airport name, then for all practical purposes (for people outside the US searching for flights), we simply don’t exist to the rest of the world! This isn’t rocket science and it may take some time for all the systems to be updated, but it must happen!

The second issue is that we don’t have any direct flights to JFK! This is utterly ridiculous! JFK is the single most important POE in the country, but we can’t get there unless we travel to Charlotte or RDU which I do every year.

So to those that have posted comments on the airport issue, I agree 100%. Has anyone heard any more news on the name change?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:58 am 

THANK YOU, THANK YOU - been saying this for years, but not so directly or as eloquently. But, your post is falling on deaf (official) ears. And, even if W-S and Forsyth officials were inclined to take action (which they ain't) Greensboro and Guilford would never, never allow it. They (G&G) don't seem to realize that not doing what you suggest hurts them as much (almost) as it hurts W-S.

I repeat, in the U.S. the arrival/departure boards indicate Raleigh/Durham but ONLY Greensboro - again why is this. Also, I bet people in Europe and elsewhere internationally checking for Durham will get a hit.

Thanks for posting this Wagonera, but nothing, nothing will be done. By the way, until a couple of years ago PTI as a three-character code was available (taken now).

And, the three-character code MUST be changed as well.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:41 am 

yadkinv wrote:

So must the "officials".

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:23 pm 

The Possum wrote:
yadkinv wrote:

So must the "officials".

:tup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 11:16 pm 

Allegiant adds new nonstop flight from PTI to Nashville

Does anyone have an understanding of why we lost the frontier Denver flight?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:24 pm 

WestEnd88 wrote:
Allegiant adds new nonstop flight from PTI to Nashville

Does anyone have an understanding of why we lost the frontier Denver flight?

I'm sure its the same for any discontinued flight, lack of business. There are direct flights to Denver from CLT, I wouldn't think there's that much demand which would require direct flights from 2 airports approx. 100 miles apart. CLT being the preeminent business center in the state would be the natural site to service from over PTI.