WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: P.T.I.A.
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:42 am 

Thanks waggonera for this, a lot of work, but greatly appreciated illustrating and proving what many of us have been saying for, well, a decade or so! Thanks again!

Quote:
and Winston-Salem wanted its airport in Winston-Salem. The neighboring city saw an opportunity to build an airport in a more centralized location and take that airmail route
I wasn't aware of the mail route thing, but probably that's why the regional mail hub is in in Greensboro instead of Kernersville where it should be located.

What I recall reading and hearing though I have no saved documentation is that it really comes down to the arrogance of W-S and so reckon W-S is reaping what it has sown. Greensboro always wanted the airport and saw the opportunity as mentioned and took it. W-S arrogantly at the time presumed they could prevail with its own airport - not so obviously. Greensboro never wanted to involve W-S in the airport location (really short-sighted on their part in the long-haul). If W-S had been clever and insisted as well as persisted on the matter, the so-called triad might have a major airport (and maybe a real Triad instead of a joke) competing with Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham, which would have benefitted Greensboro as well, more so than the barely even regional presence of GSO even with its ostensible and meaningless reference as PTI .

There were a few W-S voices in the wilderness, but no one would listen, so Greensboro saw its opportunity and seized it. I doubt if anything can be resurrected now, but the sad thing is that W-S/Forsyth officials don't even try - it's shameful and absolutely embarrassingly reticent on their part.

W-S will never amount to anything or being euphemistic on the matter will never realize its obvious potential without an airport. I repeat, repeat, repeat, if Raleigh-Durham is listed nationwide (along with other such dual representations) surely Greensboro/Winston-Salem (there's that hyphen problem again) can and of a right ought to be listed thusly as well!!! Why cannot W-S/Forsyth officials get this done with the airlines nationwide regardless of the 3-character designation, which by the way is "criminal" that Greensboro will not change that to PTI (as I point out available again).

F&M, a rare disagreement, but please not in the Charlotte CSA - that would be disastrous immho.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:19 pm 

To be frank, this is the issue. I have listed only three things - total travel time, how many stops and total cost. I found these by going to Google and typing in "Flights." I'm sure you may find different results from different sites, but I would bet the trend holds.

Suggested flights from GSO to NYC (JFK) tomorrow:

4 hr 14 min
1 stop
$406
---

6 hr 53 min
1 stop
$408
----

4 hr 44 min
1 stop
$459

-----

Suggest flights from CLT to NYC (JFK) tomorrow:

2 hr
Nonstop
$338
------

1 hr 58 min
Nonstop
$338
-----

1 hr 59 min
Nonstop
$353
----

GSO costs more and and offers increased travel times compared to CLT. The airport's name and proximity to Winston is a red herring that only this board cares about.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:23 pm 

A few days ago, I received a promotional email from American Airlines. I noticed the heading was: “From Greensboro/High Point” instead of PTI or GSO. They failed to mention Winston Salem in the email. My immediate thought was that Nido Qubein probably made a phone call to American and ask them to add High Point to the name whenever they released any communications from American regarding PTI. This would help bookings for visitors to HPU as well as the furniture market. I thought I would check out his website and American was indeed one of his clients: https://www.nidoqubein.com/ What he has accomplished as High Point U is utterly amazing and they (HPU) have already invested $2 billion and they plan to invest an additional $1 billion in the next decade and potentially add a medical school. Amazon did an amazing bio of him and it’s well worth your time if you haven’t already seen it: https://vimeo.com/watchdnafilms/review/ ... 3cf216709c Our mayor could probably do the same thing by contacting the airlines that serve the area via PTI and get Winston Salem’s name added to any communications.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:28 pm 

Until American Airlines relocates its corporate headquarters from the state of Texghanistan, it will get no business from me.