WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Interstate 685
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:28 pm 

In today's Greensboro Business Journal https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2021/11/19/part-of-us-421-may-become-future-i-685.html indication is that US 421 from I 95 near Dunn to
I 85 in Greensboro will become I 685. We discussed this before here on the forum and all agreed that it should be lobbied to be extended at least to W-S and probably to I 77 and maybe even to North Wilkesboro. Most of that extended route is at interstate standards or very near so. Anyway, this is a perfect opportunity for W-S and Forsyth County officials (and Mr. Ivey's Region 9) to become involved in the beginning of a project to make things happen. However, based upon previous actions, no doubt this will languish as another missed opportunity. I hope local officials know how important interstate highways are especially this one through W-S as it would traverse the previous route of hijacked I 40 and provide all importantly a second Interstate designation downtown presuming, of course, that I 285 will be extended northward along U.S. 52. By the way, it should not be designated I 685, but I 695 or some 3-digit of I 95 providing an all important link from the Triad (I cannot believe I'm using that fake term) to I 95.

Post subject: Re: Interstate 685
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:58 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
In today's Greensboro Business Journal https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2021/11/19/part-of-us-421-may-become-future-i-685.html indication is that US 421 from I 95 near Dunn to
I 85 in Greensboro will become I 685. We discussed this before here on the forum and all agreed that it should be lobbied to be extended at least to W-S and probably to I 77 and maybe even to North Wilkesboro. Most of that extended route is at interstate standards or very near so. Anyway, this is a perfect opportunity for W-S and Forsyth County officials (and Mr. Ivey's Region 9) to become involved in the beginning of a project to make things happen. However, based upon previous actions, no doubt this will languish as another missed opportunity. I hope local officials know how important interstate highways are especially this one through W-S as it would traverse the previous route of hijacked I 40 and provide all importantly a second Interstate designation downtown presuming, of course, that I 285 will be extended northward along U.S. 52. By the way, it should not be designated I 685, but I 695 or some 3-digit of I 95 providing an all important link from the Triad (I cannot believe I'm using that fake term) to I 95.

Could not agree more with you on your assessment.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:16 pm 

yadkinv wrote:

:good:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:25 pm 

I was the person breaking the news on the US-421 upgrade to Interstate Standards, nearly two years ago. I was surprised at how few people in the Triad knew about it, at that time. I thought if I got the word out, it would allow Winston-Salem to also join-in, but that doesn't appear to have happened. If they are pitching this as part of the Winston-Salem to Fayetteville "Carolina Core" that follows US-421, then they should extend it into Winston-Salem. Otherwise, it's just a project to help Greensboro. I really want an Interstate connection from Winston-Salem to the Wilkesboros and Boone, if possible! Maybe the North Wilkesboro Motor Speedway renovation that Republicans are excited about and the Governor also supports could open the door to an I-685 extension to at least Wilkes County. And in the future it could be extended to Boone. For the North Wilkesboro Motor Speedway to attract major racing/events it needs Interstate access. It's much easier to pitch the site when it has Interstate access. I agree with yadkinv that it should be a three-digit version of I-95. I think the entire Triad would benefit from an I-?95 shield. I think the Greensboro-Randolph Mega Site has the most to gain from an I-?95 shield, but so many people in Central N.C., view I-85 as the greatest Interstate of all time and can't see that nationally I-40 and I-95 are the majors running through the state and I-85 is more of a regional Interstate.

What I would propose: Merge I-685 into I-85 Greensboro Loop. Merge it into I-40 and then decide do you want to end it at downtown Winston-Salem or run it to the Wilkesboros or Boone. If you want to end it at the Innovation Quarter (one of the big sites pushed in the Carolina Core), then route it along Salem Parkway (US-421) to I-285, where it will be forced to end. The section of Salem Parkway to the west isn't up to Interstate Standards and likely won't be upgraded. If you want it extended to the Wilkesboros and maybe Boone, follow I-40 from Colfax to US-421 on the western edge of Winston-Salem. From there, follow US-421 west. Since they are using I-685, it may have no choice but to end In Greensboro (likely their plan!). It could be possible to create an I-985 that runs from Colfax to Boone? I think I-985 is still available and it gives Winston-Salem another three-digit Interstate number from metro Atlanta. Though it provides the least for downtown, I favor the connection to the Wilkesboros and Boone. I would use the North Wilkesboro Motor Speedway efforts, creating investment/jobs in the northwest part of the state, and the many supporters of Appalachian State University to build support for the I-685 or more likely I-985 or I-374 extension to Boone. Yes, I would like to see it extended to Boone. Maybe I-985 from Colfax to downtown Winston-Salem and I-374 from Winston-Salem to Boone or I-474 from Winston-Salem to Bristol or maybe a three-digit of I-81 from Bristol to Winston-Salem, through Boone and the Wilkesboros, if TN-DOT is interested? Long range, it could be interesting to connect Rockingham County and Danville to Winston-Salem by Interstate? I'm sure Rockingham County would approve of another economic development generating Interstate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:37 pm 

Amen!