WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: P.T.I.A.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:03 pm 

W-S lost its one true golden opportunity when the airport location was decided. If enough support had been garnered, we could have had it straddle the county lines somewhere near Kernersville. It would need to be far enough away from CLT and RDU for those airports not to be too competitive for customers, and perhaps close enough to pull folks from Virginia. A simple glance at Google Maps readily shows the economic benefit that was gifted to Guilford County. I guess it's a nice thing not have those loud new fangled jet planes overhead. True, PTI is only a twenty to thirty-minute drive for most, but it's a matter of perception that counts, and for corporate purposes it's the same as any other real estate transaction: Location, location, location.

As for Charlotte HQ moves? Businesses like people grow and mature. "How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm (After They've Seen Paree?)" The triad as a whole cannot compete. CLT offers direct international flights, the importance of which cannot be undervalued, as well as a far more diverse labor pool. This is not to say that we should not try.

To me, W-S is/was old money that would always give W-S an edge and play Mama, but that pot ran dry around the time McLean Trucking and Hanes died. The loss of Piedmont Airlines, not to mention the deregulation of the airlines, was also a major blow. What bothers me quite much is the lack of true and proper investment in that glorified field (INT) we call an airport. The purchase of lands, which naturally would require some folks to relocate, to allow for runway realignments and some organized cumulative growth is something still worth considering all these long decades later. Look at ISP. It is tiny, yet functional as a stand-alone facility. Here's a nifty little FAA gift: All that is required to be given the "international" designation is a direct flight to a true international airport. With some creative finagling, Smith Reynolds could realistically achieve such a designation. Imagine that!

Anecdotally, I had a friend in town from Manteo recently who had grown up here. Downtown blew him away, as we both could remember a time when it was a bit sketchy at times. Oh, the glorious '80s!

The rebirth of W-S can happen, but it is a crap shoot as we are on the cusp. Leadership and, I dare say, especially luck will dictate. We do not have the cache of a New York or a Paris or a Kuala Lumpur to rely on for momentum, but we can, and damn well should, have moxie.

Post subject: Re: P.T.I.A.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:07 pm 

Good post and this information has been discussed on this forum some years ago. The problem lies with W-S arrogance and failure of leaders in W-S and Forsyth to view the big picture. In all fairness to W-S and Forsyth officials, Smith Reynolds was doing well in the 1950s and early 1960s, but W-S and Forsyth officials were short-sighted into thinking it would last because Smith Reynolds (obviously) proved not "convenient" to the so-called triad area whereas the Greensboro Airport was more "centrally" located in the so-called triad albeit "in" Greensboro. In 1978 when the Winston-Salem name was added to Greensboro-High Point and the new terminal was constructed near to the original location, W-S and Forsyth officials should have seen the red flag and insisted (proved) that the equitable as well as smart business move for all would be to locate the new airport straddling the Guilford- Forsyth boundary probably just west of Oak Ridge, but the W-S and Forsyth officials were feckless in this endeavor. So, greed and avarice prevailed (let's refer to it as good business on the part of Greensboro). A once only chance was missed to make the Triad a real entity and highly productive for the entire region. This missed opportunity also led to Winston-Salem (unlike Raleigh/Durham) not being posted with Greensboro on airport departure/arrival boards nationally further diminishing W-S as a national player at least from a recognition standpoint - stated differently, W-S is the only large city "without" an airport.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7