WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: P.T.I.A.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:53 pm 

WUNC aired a story today saying that Rolls Royce has pulled out of its deal to supply engines to Boom. A single sentence in the reporting went something like “other engine manufacturers have indicated that they are not interested in pursuing this business…”.

We all know that Boom is largely vaporware at this point. Even if airframes make sound engineering sense, supersonic is largely about the engine tech. The loss of Rolls Royce is a bfd and it will take a major manufacturer of jet engines (civilian or military) to step into that void. While I have zero further information on this, WUNC has good journalistic practices and I doubt they would have left in that fateful sentence if they did not have statements in hand from at least some candidate substitutes.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:12 pm 

Regarding walker's post, these may be the articles WUNC used as their source: https://www.businessinsider.com/engine- ... ure-2022-9 and https://www.flightglobal.com/airframers ... 15.article If you read the articles the engine manufacturers say something along the lines: "Civil supersonic is not a segment that we are currently pursuing,” GE Aviation says." It will be interesting to follow this because Boom also has an agreement with Northrup Grumman to develop a military version of their aircraft and all the engine makers all use the word civilian in their statements. The leverage with the engine manufacturers may be through the military version (with NG). So we'll see where this goes. The articles mention Boom developing the engine internally, but this is such a highly technical and extremely specialized skill set and it could take $ billions to do the engineering and manufacturing. I'm anxious to see how this plays out!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:01 pm 

If anything of consequence does come of this Boom project, it will be a slow, slow process somewhat along the lines of the FED EX hub project that was first proposed in 2000/2001 and took 20 years for a payoff.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:56 pm 

Zalo, I totally agree. Boom will be like Tesla in that they will face a number of "near death" experiences. I guess this is "near death" experience #1. All jets (no matter what type) are developed and engineered simultaneously with the engine supplier. So I guess we'll have to wait until year end to see what they announce. I really hope they can pull this off because the economic impact to the area could be astounding.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:13 am 

In today's "Ask SAM" column . . .

Quote:
Q: How many international flights fly out of Piedmont Triad International Airport?

J.F.

Answer: There are currently no international flights at PTI, said Stephanie Freeman, the marketing and customer relations manager for the Piedmont Triad Airport Authority.

The airport has international in its name because, “We have had international flights both cargo and passenger in the past,” Freeman said.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:47 am 

I read the Ask Sam column; and so will the word International now be removed from the so-called name or are misnomers and misdirection the norm now? Why not use its real name, that is, the name used in airports and by pilots throughout this “fair” land - Greensboro Airport. After all, it is GSO.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10