WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Northern Beltway
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:43 pm 

IceHombre wrote:
Forsyth County Commissioner Richard Linville making the first official drive in his pickup truck.

Yeeeeeee - haw!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:38 am 

Worth a laugh? Richard Linville was trying to move his truck to the front of the line of cars, so he could be first to drive on it. He even got-in his truck as soon as possible after the ribbon was cut and drove-around everyone, gathering on the highway to socialize, to be first. HOWEVER... two cars drove past the cones, tent, NCDOT leaders, and the politicians giving their speeches before cutting the ribbon. So, Linville's truck was actually the third vehicle to drive on it. I guess he was the first politician to drive on it? He really seemed eager to drive on it, as he drove past the crowd for the event. He should've taken advantage of the rare opportunity to safely walk-around and socialize on it, like everyone else.

:haha:

They told everyone it would be open on November 7th. I don't remember anything telling people to wait until 2 p.m., and I'm sure the drivers of those two cars also didn't see or hear anything about waiting until 2 p.m.,? I would've liked to see his face, as he watched two other people become the first and second, while he had to wait on speeches and a ribbon cutting. Someone else, who drove from a neighboring county, was also waiting to become the first non-politician to drive on it and I don't think he knew people had already started driving on it?

The next big opening is scheduled for Summer of 2023. When will they upgrade U.S. 52 between the U.S. 52 / I-74 interchange and the completed stretch of I-74 in Surry County? The Mayor, last month, said work on I-285 through downtown should start soon, but didn't say how soon? That will be an exciting project for downtown and the Innovation Quarter, since it brings an Interstate back to downtown.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:11 am 

Very exciting. I’m still unclear as to why the signage (designation) is NC 74 instead of signing it I 74 since it is to Interstate standards and in fact is I 74 (against AASHTO designation/signing rules). I’ve looked, admittedly not in excruciating detail, but have not found the reasoning/requirements for using NC 74 for now.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:17 am 

It will not be designated as such until the connections are made to make it I74.

Last edited by wsnc62 on Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 11:36 am 

yadkinv wrote:
Very exciting. I’m still unclear as to why the signage (designation) is NC 74 instead of signing it I 74 since it is to Interstate standards and in fact is I 74 (against AASHTO designation/signing rules). I’ve looked, admittedly not in excruciating detail, but have not found the reasoning/requirements for using NC 74 for now.

As of now, NC 74 is only a three mile highway. That's because it is not connected to another road that is Interstate quality. They will not give a highway the Interstate badge if it does not take you anywhere. Interstate highways were designed to evacuated a population in fear of atomic bombs during the Cold War and a three mile highway won't do that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 1:54 pm 

Oh - OK, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:19 am 

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:33 pm 

Very impressive and it’s 3 lanes each way instead of the usual 2 lanes fix it later scenario. The only downside, which most do not consider a negative is/will be the inaccurate signage as I 74 violating AASHTO Interstate signing rules. Such abstract matters are important whether one thinks so or not.

Last edited by yadkinv on Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:07 pm 

I wonder how long it will take to have HOV or EZ pass lanes along the Beltway. 25 years? 40 years? 60 years?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:54 pm 

I just was on the Beltway from 311 to University Parkway. It is pretty cool to zip from Walkertown to Rural Hall on it, but it severely needs better lighting around interchanges. It’s so dark

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:29 pm 

IceHombre wrote:
I just was on the Beltway from 311 to University Parkway. It is pretty cool to zip from Walkertown to Rural Hall on it, but it severely needs better lighting around interchanges. It’s so dark

Yes, the interchanges are pretty dark. Don't understand DOT's intention when it comes to lighting on the interchanges around Winston...I go to other areas of the state and there seems to be lighting installed after any recent work. Example, coming up I-95 last week north of Fayetteville where they are widening the highway and they are installing what I call the big dome lights at most every interchange and that stretch goes through sparsely populated areas!! :huh:

Winston freeways have never been properly lit IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:29 pm 

Quote:
Don't understand DOT's intention when it comes to lighting on the interchanges around Winston...I go to other areas of the state and there seems to be lighting installed after any recent work.
Really, hmm, it seems to be the NCDOT lack of support syndrome for W-S playing out still after endless examples. I reckon it was too much to hope for a complete great job.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:03 pm 

It's interesting you mention lighting along our roads and I was just thinking about sending a letter to the mayor's office. I don't know if you've noticed, but there has been a substantial number of street lights that aren't working on Salem Parkway and this has persisted for freaking years. There is a section of Salem Parkway west of Peters Creek Parkway and east of Main Street with around 20+ lights on each end that aren't functioning. So I thought I would be a good citizen and I sent a letter to Pat Ivey's office to let them know the situation and in typical Winston Salem fashion, I never received any reply or acknowledgement....absolutely nothing! I even sent them my phone number and email. I was driving through the city last week and the lights still aren't working, so it pissed me off and I thought I would send a letter (certified mail/return receipt so I would have the proof of delivery) to the Mayor's office to see if anything happens. Salem Parkway is the "front door" to the city (from both the east and the west) and as I mentioned these streetlights haven't been working for years. I know this seems like a small nit, but it's once again a symptom of a bigger problem. The areas without the functioning lights actually look "dark and sinister" as you drive through our "front door". It's the little things, that (when combined) contribute to the overall impressions of the city. I'll let you know if I receive any response from the Mayors office.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:21 pm 

I have been bothered by this issue for over 20 years. In the late 90’s I sent a letter to the person’s office in charge of street lighting concerning the lack of lighting along then Business 40 thru downtown. No response!... I finally came to the conclusion that the city was not concerned, and perhaps the issue would be resolved by the state when the long awaited Business 40 revamp occurred. I also pointed out the lack of good lighting on Silas Creek Parkway, especially near on and off ramps into the parkway, and the fact that there is zero lighting at the huge interchange of 421 and I40. When it was constructed in the early 90’s, it was at that time the most expensive interchange in North Carolina DOT history. Again, no lighting!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:39 am 

Quote:
I know this seems like a small nit, but it's once again a symptom of a bigger problem.
Agreed and is very indicative of peculiar attitude. It’s a combination of NCDOT not responding and the city taking no initiative or action as usual.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10