WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: SMITH REYNOLDS AIRPORT
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 am 

The airport’s Federal Aviation Administration Contract Tower will close on April 7. :x
The FAA is making the closures as part of its plans to reduce costs by about $600 million for the remainder of 2013. The FAA said affected airports can appeal the closings if they believe that their tower needs to remain open to serve the “national interest.” It was unclear Tuesday whether or not Smith Reynolds would file such a request.

Smith Reynolds had 43,332 aircraft landings and takeoffs last year, about 150 operations a day. “The tower gets awfully busy,” Davidson said. On Feb. 9, for example, the airport had 42 aircraft takeoffs and landings in one hour, he said. The majority of airports in the country don’t have towers. If pilots need radar service, they talk to radar controllers at Piedmont Triad International Airport in Greensboro, the FAA said.

Gee, it's great we have an United States Senator who lives in Winston that can lend a hand with this :?

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/ar ... f6878.html

A reminder to all members. Link to the articles and summarize them. The stories belong to the paper and not us. It's their rules. You must post the link and don't post the whole article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Thanks
Administration

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:22 am 

I am not a pilot but I have flown on small aircraft many times into both controlled and non-controlled airports. 150 "operations" a day certainly seems to warrant a control tower. Whether it's a matter of protecting the "national interest" I can't really say.

I believe an appeal will be filed but hey, what do I know?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:09 am 

zalo wrote:
The airport’s Federal Aviation Administration Contract Tower will close on April 7. :x
The FAA is making the closures as part of its plans to reduce costs by about $600 million for the remainder of 2013. The FAA said affected airports can appeal the closings if they believe that their tower needs to remain open to serve the “national interest.” It was unclear Tuesday whether or not Smith Reynolds would file such a request.

Smith Reynolds had 43,332 aircraft landings and takeoffs last year, about 150 operations a day. “The tower gets awfully busy,” Davidson said. On Feb. 9, for example, the airport had 42 aircraft takeoffs and landings in one hour, he said. The majority of airports in the country don’t have towers. If pilots need radar service, they talk to radar controllers at Piedmont Triad International Airport in Greensboro, the FAA said.

Gee, it's great we have an United States Senator who lives in Winston that can lend a hand with this :?

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/ar ... f6878.html

A reminder to all members. Link to the articles and summarize them. The stories belong to the paper and not us. It's their rules. You must post the link and don't post the whole article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

Thanks
Administration

My Bad... :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:29 am 

The latest is that they are working on an appeal and will submit it by the deadline since it was voted one of the top general aviation airports last year.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:09 pm 

Well, its good that a Triad U.S. Senator is speaking out for Winston's airport. Its ironic that its the one from Greensboro. :roll:

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/ar ... 0f31a.html

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

It's on the final closure list but the fight is not over! SR will do all it can to keep that tower open.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:38 pm 

So, I can't tell what is going on here

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/article_48d742d8-9325-11e2-a17d-001a4bcf6878.html

It seems the decision to close the tower is made. Is there another appeal process available to us?

New Bern
Hickory
Kinston
Concord

Are these cities COMBINED population as much as Winston-Salem? I'm too lazy to do the research :runaway:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:11 am 

This is a setback for development around the airport and any hope of commercial flights. It seems it's always one step forward and two steps backward for WS.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:30 am 

I don't think this will mean the tower will be "closed", per say. The city and airport authority will have to find a way to make the airport a work in progress. This unfortunate deal will only mean that the tower will not be manned by paid officers of the FAA.
Same goes with Concord Regional. That airport is too important to NASCAR owners for it to sit idle. These airports will have to find alternatives. The federal government is virtually incompetent these days.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:58 pm 

I hope the airport can find a way to keep the tower open in spite of the budget cuts. The airport fulfills a vital role in Winston-Salem's economy and it would be unfortunate to lose any capabilities which could negatively impact the area's economic competitiveness.

How much was the Federal government contributing to maintain the tower? I don't have any knowledge about what it would cost to keep it open, but I wouldn't think it could be more than a couple million. Surely the city or state could find a way to extend the contract of the controllers at the tower.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:06 am 

Smith Reynolds is a county department and Republicans have a death grip in Raleigh. I wouldn't put much hope in either entity putting one thin dime towards keeping the tower open.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:41 pm 

FAA will delay closures of 149 unfunded air traffic control towers until June 15.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:28 am 

Private funding solution for Smith Reynolds in the works?

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2 ... tml?page=2

$300k a year to operate the control tower really doesn't seem like that much and it would have an added benefit of being controlled local (instead of suffering at the whims of Fed [mis]management).

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:16 pm 

Air & Auto Center Oening at Smith Reynolds posted at TBJ. It's apparently part of the efforts of Winston-Salem Technology Educational Group. There's also mention of an aviation-auto museum.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:29 am 

AS REPORTED IN THE TBJ:

Smith Reynolds Airport officials on Monday approved the Winston-Salem facility's fiscal 2014 budget, with expectations that net income will rise 40 percent and plans for extensive terminal renovations. Smith Reynolds is projecting net income to reach $526,880 in fiscal 2014, up about 40 percent from $381,228 in fiscal 2013.

The rise comes after some losses for the airport that stemmed largely from the now-defunct Pace Airlines, which had previously leased hangar space for an estimated $1.5 million annually. The airport lost $500,100 in fiscal 2010 and lost $10,288 in fiscal 2011. Led by executive director Mark Davidson since 2010, the airport got back in the black in fiscal 2012 thanks largely to new business deals that helped net income rise to $145,453.
Davidson said the airport also has been buoyed this past year by lease revenue from aircraft maintenance tenant North State Aviation and the renegotiation of a lease with Piedmont Aviation Component Services, which began expanding its presence at the airport this year.

Davidson said the airport is planning to reinvest in its existing infrastructure this year with plans to devote $130,000 to terminal renovations that include upgrading restrooms and upfitting space for a restaurant and a lobby area. The upfits, to be completed in phases over several years, will require between $300,000 to $400,000 to fully fund. The upgrades will also allow the airport host special events, such as high school reunions and weddings, to generate revenue. “We’d like to have one (event) every two or three months," Davidson said, adding that Smith Reynolds hosted a wedding reception for a pilot last year.

Well, I'm glad to hear about the terminal renovations, a little bummed that they are being used to "enhance" the facility's ability to host H.S. reunions, weddings, etc... for revenue generation :|

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next