WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:51 pm 

jblewis206 wrote:
I believe we need some new thinking out there at the airport, at least this is an idea.

Perhaps a desire for “new thinking” is the reason why the County Commission is looking to become more hands on regarding their recent moves toward exerting more decision making authority over airport operations.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:39 am 

David Mounts, a leader in the city's aerotropolis effort, started a company at the airport ...I think it's called DividAir? Does anyone have additional information on what he is working on? The aerotropolis is currently moving forward.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 2:32 pm 

"Legacy status for Smith-Reynolds could mean money and attention for the airport. It could also limit expansion."

In today's WSJ - what does the State have against Winston-Salem? Do the other major cities in the State get together and say how can we limit W-S? I don't subscribe so I couldn't read the article just the headline.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:09 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
"Legacy status for Smith-Reynolds could mean money and attention for the airport. It could also limit expansion."

In today's WSJ - what does the State have against Winston-Salem? Do the other major cities in the State get together and say how can we limit W-S? I don't subscribe so I couldn't read the article just the headline.

Copy the link and paste into an incognito tab. No subscription necessary.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 3:17 pm 

Thanks.

I reckon I couldn't grasp much from that article - introduced by Forsyth, so must be good, right. My concern is the "limit expansion" in the title. Development is great, but nothing replaces commercial passenger service. Will that be prohibited, if so, it's useless?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 4:12 pm 

I read the article. In a nutshell, House Bill 694 has been submitted by Debra Conrad & 2 other Forsyth legislators at the request of County Commissioner Ted Kaplan, who also sits on the airport Board of Directors. It appears to be some kind of angle to secure money from the Feds in the proposed infrastructure bill that Trump & Pelosi/Schumer met to discuss last week. The only thing I know that's been decided is that both Trump & the Dems want a big $$$ number but nothing else has been proposed/decided. So there's a lot that needs to happen before Smith Reynolds can be a recipient of such funds.

It appears the legislation is structured in such a way as to only apply to S.R. Although Conrad said she would be amenable to alter the bill to allow for an addition of 3 other potential airports statewide and potentially military airports. It seems that most federal air transportation $$$ are allocated to facilities designated as "international airports" The goal of the state legislation designating Smith Reynolds as a legacy airport is to have the airport prepared to apply/receive money should the infrastructure bill becomes law. It is thought the legislation will be useful in branding, marketing & economic development activities as well. The legacy designation could make the airport more attractive to aviation tenants or low fare carriers Conrad said that the designation, while warranted, would limit potential expansion of the airport while not providing any clarification as to what she meant by that statement. :| I like the proactiveness of this exercise. It is one of the first tangible signs that the County is finally serious about developing a more assertive strategic plan for Smith Reynolds and take steps toward executing it. :tup:

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 5:20 pm 

Adding architect Howard Cheney's Streamline Moderne terminal building to the National Register of Historic Places will limit expansion of the building. Everything they do will require approval and will have to match the historic building. It could provide tax credits they can sell to help pay for the terminal restoration, but the terminal will have to be restored to how it looked around 1956, if I remember correctly? I posted renderings, a year ago, of the proposed restoration. There is a lot of talk now about how to leverage this airport for growth and bringing back passenger service is, surprisingly, frequently discussed. I do think they are trying to bring back at least some form of passenger service. They also want to use the airport to bring additional growth to the Innovation Quarter, Whitaker Park, and I think there was some other development project? I'll return tonight, when I have more time to post. The airport has really become the hot project in the city, right now, and I'm hearing about it frequently. It's good to see the newspapers finally sharing some of the details.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 8:13 pm 

OK, great. But how are "bringing back passenger service" and "limited expansion" compatible terms please?

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2019 9:39 pm 

50 years ago, this was the state's busiest airport at its current size. I doubt they will have to expand the terminal, but if they do, they will need approval. Just as Hotel Indigo needed approval to add the stair tower and larger windows on the southern facade, but didn't win approval for the transom windows. Just as the Cardinal Hotel needed approval for the entrance changes to their building. Just as Wexford needed approval to add-on to the top of Bailey Power Plant and make significant changes to the northern end of the structure. The changes and expansions can win approval. If they are needed to make the building viable for a new use, they have a very good chance of winning approval. They may have to match the historic building, though, if they do win approval. It does add some uncertainty when planning for growth, but do you think the airport will have more passenger totals than it did 50 years ago? A longer runway, new hangers, and maybe not having to go outside and use steps to enplane could be needed changes. The last project would likely need this approval, but the others don't. I think they should assemble a super site at this airport. Maybe a separate freight terminal could be interesting?

On the subject of passenger service: I do believe if they complete a "museum quality" restoration of the original Streamline Moderne terminal and can offer a 1940s experience / theme, they could have an interesting attraction to bring people to this airport for passenger service. It would be very attractive to a Millennial flying crowd, looking for cities that have character / history. This could easily become a preferred airport to use, if it's like stepping back into the 1940s. So many airports, these days, are looking for attractions, from massive indoor gardens to shopping experiences. Smith Reynolds Airport could easily offer a very unique experience that works well with the city's history. While attracting passenger service to Union Station will take some time and additional work, attracting a carrier to Smith Reynolds would be much easier and so many people in this city want the airport restored with passenger service.

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 9:38 am 

I get novelty factor of having the terminal restored to its 1940's splendor, but convenient flights and great ticket prices will rule the day with Millennials as well as the rest of the flying public. In thinking about the possible "limits on expansion", could that refer to the fact that a Legacy designation perhaps would freeze the boundaries of the airport property to its original footprint?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:22 am 

Another day of good news for Camel City as reported by the WSJ. The ceremonial groundbreaking of Forsyth Tech's Aviation Technology Lab where site preparations are already underway for the 53,000 sq. ft facility. Forsyth Tech has established two new aviation related programs based upon a study that indicated that Smith Reynolds could attract more aviation related companies if there was a pipeline of workers trained in airline maintenance and avionics. This new facility named the Mazie S. Woodruff Technology Lab will be the location of lab work of the two new programs, aviation systems technology and aviation electronics (avionics), whereas the classwork will be conducted at the nearby Woodruff Center of FTCC on Lansing Drive. I'm assuming that's why they named this Lab after Mrs. Woodruff because I can't think of another.

The Lab will have a 12,000 airframe lab that can accommodate 8 airframes. Components of the lab will include piston/turbine engine, sheet metal, aircraft welding, composite structures, avionics/electrical and paint. The aviation systems program will provide requirements necessary for an aircraft mechanic's certificate with airframe and/or power plant ratings. The Aviation Electronics Program will provide training in operations, repair and overhaul of general avionics, electrical and electronic systems, practical wiring, navigation, flight management & communications equipment. The curriculum of both programs are approved by the Federal Aviation Administration. Graduates can expect salaries in the $60,000 -$65,000 range. :o

The ceremony which included FTCC's new president Janet Spriggs as well as Peter Hans, president of the NC Community College system, and other local dignitaries had several of them extolling the virtues of pursuing aviation related jobs. According to several studies conducted by the Smith Reynolds board as well as NCDOT indicate that aviation related business is already generating a lot of economic activity in the region. In the Piedmont Triad there are 40 aviation related companies that are currently employing 6,000 people. Smith Reynolds itself accounts for 3585 of those jobs generating $801 million in economic output, $226 million in direct personal income and $28.5 million in state & local taxes. Scott Piper, chairman of the Smith Reynolds BOD stated that the community will invest more than $70 million into infrastructure at the airport over the next 5 years.

I am happy that finally serious effort is being put into turning Smith Reynolds into a dynamic venue for new jobs and economic growth for the city. I can only say its about time.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:40 am 

This is really fantastic!!!

By the way, couldn't view the entire article in the Greensboro Business Journal, but the first sentence reads "Site preparation is underway for the 53,000-square-foot facility just south of the airport’s main terminal." Indicating south of the airport (to me) suggests PTI since that's the only airport in what some refer to as the triad with passenger service; sloppy writing or subtle "error." On the other hand, I didn't have access to the full article.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:54 am 

yadkinv wrote:
This is really fantastic!!!

By the way, couldn't view the entire article in the Greensboro Business Journal, but the first sentence reads "Site preparation is underway for the 53,000-square-foot facility just south of the airport’s main terminal." Indicating south of the airport (to me) suggests PTI since that's the only airport in what some refer to as the triad with passenger service; sloppy writing or subtle "error." On the other hand, I didn't have access to the full article.

My post pretty much covers the entirety of the article which I gleaned from the WSJournal as noted. I'm sure TBJ's writeup was essentially the same as mine, meaning a retelling of the Journal's reporting. I hate to word vomit so much, but I know most of us have to deal with the paywalls so I have been attempting to present the info as completely as I can so that we are all on the same page.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:37 am 

Now we know what David Mounts and the city's innovation community was working on at the airport. It's an aerospace innovation hub, to be called Hanger One. This will be one of five innovation hubs created to narrow the city's focus for new startups on the city's existing assets and what makes this city unique in North Carolina (unique advantages). Winston Starts and Venture Cafe will lead the effort, as part of a goal of establishing 250 thriving startup businesses. Again, there will be five different emerging innovation hubs. A big part of this will be equity-free grants to relocate early-stage businesses, their founders, and a majority of their employees to Winston-Salem. This could be what is planned for the proposed new hanger? Or, they may reuse an existing building? I guess we will find out, as more details emerge.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:21 am 

In which case a modern, rapid rail line is needed from Smith Reynolds to the IQ.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next