WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Thu May 19, 2022 10:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: P.T.I.A.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:42 pm 

This excerpt for this afternoon from the TBJ hints strongly that a vehicle manufacturing plant is almost certain after the battery plant is up and running which would be fantastic for the area! Here's the excerpt: “Right now in the U.S. we have 17 Toyota and Lexus electrified vehicles, which will account for almost 25% of our total sales,” Reynolds told the capacity crowd that filled a large tent at the site Tuesday afternoon. “By 2030, we expect that number to go up to nearly 70%. Now put another way, we expect to sell about 1.5 million to 1.8 million electrified vehicles per year, including zero emissions vehicle.

“Why am I giving you all these figures? I want you to know the future looks bright for this site and North Carolina.”

Reynolds comments were echoed by Toyota Motor North America CEO Ted Ogawa in a media release.

“The future of mobility is electrification and the Greensboro-Randolph Megasite is the ideal location to make that future a reality,” said Ted Ogawa, CEO of Toyota Motor North America. “North Carolina offers the right conditions for this investment. Today marks the beginning of a mutually beneficial partnership with the Tar Heel state as we embark on our journey to achieve carbon neutrality and provide mobility for all.”

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:58 pm 

I probably posted both of these at the wrong place. Just for reference, Tesla has 10,000 employees at their Fremont plant in CA and 7000 at the Nevada Giga factory where they make the batteries. They also plan to hire more than 10,000 at their new Giga plant in Texas. With this information, it's probably a good assumption that the total number of Toyota employees at the battery plant with the addition of a vehicle assembly plant could be more than 10,000!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:56 am 

After reviewing the map of the megasite, it’s great for Greensboro but just don’t see how it can have much affect in W-S. And it’s really not near the I 73/I 74 bifurcation as originally thought.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:36 pm 

I've read at least 30 articles about this announcement in all sorts of business publications and they all talk about the "Greensboro" or "Greensboro - Randolph" Megasite. No mention of Winston Salem. I agree with F&M's comment about how Winston Salem is responding to try to take advantage of the announcements from Toyota and the upcoming announcement about the airport. How and if these projects affect our city will be a direct result of how the city responds.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:02 pm 

New article in the Journal on Boom…

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:25 pm 

Also, here is another good article regarding Boom and United Airlines investment: https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/03/united- ... sonic.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:29 pm 

Per TBJ, Boom "has not made its decision yet and there is competition for the project."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:39 am 

One would think that Colorado would be making a major push to have the factory located where the company is headquartered.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:19 am 

Agreed. I hope we aren’t being used to drive CO incentives up.

Edited to add: Actually, Denver may not be competition. Per the Denver Business Journal, "Scholl has said in the past he did not expect Boom's factory to be established in Colorado, given a lack of large-scale aviation manufacturing infrastructure in the region."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:30 am 

WSBornNBred wrote:
Agreed. I hope we aren’t being used to drive CO incentives up.

Edited to add: Actually, Denver may not be competition. Per the Denver Business Journal, "Scholl has said in the past he did not expect Boom's factory to be established in Colorado, given a lack of large-scale aviation manufacturing infrastructure in the region."

There was no manufacturing infrastructure in the Triad when HondaJet selected P.T.I.A. unless Piedmont Airlines' legacy maintenance/repair work counted toward that nomenclature, which ultimately attracted HAECO. Here's where having the aviation programs through Forsyth Tech & other area community colleges are paying off?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:46 am 

Quote:
are paying off?
for Greensboro MSA and for an airport not recognized nationally as serving W-S.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:41 pm 

If you look in Honda's recruiting section they indicate that they conduct recruiting events at these universities: Georgia Institute of Technology, Cornell University, Duke University, Kalamazoo College, North Carolina State University at Raleigh, Stanford University, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and Yello. They also have an extensive internal training process and I know of several cases where they have hired graduates from Forsyth Tech and GTCC. So they have both local employees and employees from all over the world.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 5:06 pm 

This is an under the radar company at PTI that's rapidly expanding it's operations. "Aviation International News is proud to announce the winner of the 2021 Top Flight Awards Charter, Fractional, or Jet Card Innovation category. Jet-It is a North Carolina-based fractional-ownership and aircraft management program that flies a fleet of 15 HondaJets—and recently expanded to Europe with a sister brand called Jet Club. The European launch comes after Jet It recorded 400 percent year-over-year growth in the U.S."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:52 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
Quote:
are paying off?
for Greensboro MSA and for an airport not recognized nationally as serving W-S.

Well, there’s that. :dead:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:03 am 

This is a long article about Boom Supersonic in Wired. It doesn't mention anything about where they might manufacture their aircraft, but it's an interesting read. https://www.wired.com/story/boom-supers ... R_REG_GATE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next