WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Thu May 19, 2022 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Northern Beltway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:46 pm 

While driving home I noticed that large swaths of land were being cleared at Bus 40 and Hastings Hill Road. I see the Hastings Hill bridge is scheduled for replacement which would be the start of the first segment of the beltway. I guess NCDOT decided to go ahead and clear the land for the highway as well?

Post subject: Re: Northern Beltway
PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:37 am 

THEY need to step on the gas and get Beltway construction underway. Enough with the delays.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:34 am 

THEY also need to get off the checkbook and PAY UP ALREADY to those property owners THEY have handcuffed for the last 15 years.

Rant over. Have a nice day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:37 pm 

[quote="rmhpmi"]THEY also need to get off the checkbook and PAY UP ALREADY to those property owners THEY have handcuffed for the last 15 years. quote]

Damn straight, and while they're at it, should send Robin Dean the jack*** that held up the Beltway over the last 13 years, a bill for all the accrued interest that has been incurred due to these unnecessary & infuriating delays. :x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:29 pm 

You're darn tootin!! I'll second you unequivocably on the Dean issue. He and his 'concerned' group have only been a grand impediment to the inevitable, and a massive waste of precious time, energy, and taxpayer hard earned money.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:33 pm 

Not sure that I agree with you here. I've always been in favor of the eastern leg of the beltway, because it will take through-traffic off U.S. 52 through downtown. The daily congestion on that highway will be greatly alleviated by the eastern beltway (which will be labeled I-74, I think.) But I can't see a logical reason to spend millions (billions?) of dollars to build the western leg. It seems to me that it will siphon growth away from the central city, disrupt lots of suburban housing developments, and open very little land to commercial and/or industrial development. If someone can offer a rationale for the western leg of the beltway, I'm willing to listen.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:40 pm 

My issue with the beltway does not concern it's usefulness. My issue concerns the NC DOT's ridiculous attitude towards fairly compensating property owners in the development corridor. My family has first hand experience with the DOT's strategies in this area. I won't rant about it here. Suffice to say our lawsuit is pending and I must refrain from commenting on pending litigation.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:58 pm 

Improved traffic circulation from the west side of Winston along with L-ville & Clemmons to the north side up by Hanesbrands, Madison Park, etc... is the biggest benefit of the western loop. It would take traffic off roads all over the westside, such as Robinhood, Reynolda, Shattalon etc... I would have preferred the western be built before the eastern for these reasons. I see less benefit for Winston itself from the eastern beltway as it brushes up by sections of Winston that will never be developed as that area is not scheduled to have water/sewer lines extended since it is in a designated low growth area per the Legacy Guide. I am not sure that hotels/restaurants will be developed on that portion of the beltway since there will not be very much growth designated there. What would be built would be at Kernersville.

This is why I am in favor of I-74 running down 52 thru the city. There are industrial opportunities to redevelop those properties on North Patterson Avenue that run alongside 52 from Germanton Road to Akron Drive. It would offer more opportunities to redevelop the East Winston neighborhoods as well. The prospect of adding hotel rooms along the route is also appealing.

Last edited by zalo on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:37 am 

Absolutely, I 74 should follow US 52 through the city to US 311, which also conforms with the interstate highway signing rules nationwide. And by the way, the entire beltway should be signed I 640 - it's still available. Also, US 421 from I 40 to I 77 should become I 477.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:19 am 

I'm all for I-640 and I-477 :tup: The I-477 should be a pretty easy one to get designated now??? The shoulders seem pretty consistent with newer interstates around.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:32 pm 

Wonder if this will be a positive development in getting more the Northern Beltway under construction much sooner.

http://www.journalnow.com/news/state_re ... f6878.html

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:20 am 

Time for city leaders and citizens to step forth and demand the Beltway be built. Charlotte clamored and yelped about completely one segment of its Outerloop until Governor Purdue found a way to speed up getting it built. The Beltway is one of the most vivid illustrations at how inept or lethargic W-S's leadership and business community are at promoting the interests of the city. An embarrassing abdication of civic duty.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:29 am 

Sadly, most citizens of Winston Salem and Forsyth County remain apathetic regarding the beltway. This project has been on everyone's back burner for so long I just don't believe anyone even thinks about it any more. Unless they happen to own any property in the corridor that is. :angry1:

It appears my family's case will end up being heard by the NC Supreme Court at the rate things are going.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:48 pm 

I, for one, am not apathetic. . . I oppose the beltway

. . . . and all beltways

. . . vehemently.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:30 am 

Well said DCMetro - like them or not, they are apparently necessary. Inept when it comes to ALL transportation for WS is truly an understatement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next