WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:18 am 

Quote:
I think this restaurant (Buzzed Bull) may have dropped their national chain affiliation and is considering opening under their own name? I was told about this a few days ago. I think they will reopen under the name Chill Nitro, with the same alcohol-infused ice cream concept? I think Buzzed Bull was an Ohio-based chain?
Ok. I guess that's potentially good news. As of now it's completely empty with just white painted walls. I can't remember if I saw a "For Lease" sign or not.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:37 pm 

Quote:
The former ramen restaurant at 237 West Fifth St. will become Timmy’s Hot Chicken this month, said owner Tim Walker.

This will be the third restaurant in that space for Walker, a partner in Small Batch Beer Co. next door.

https://journalnow.com/entertainment/di ... nj-h7rL85U

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:24 am 

Heard on the curb that Timmy's Hot Chicken is opening today. Will have to check it out and compare it to Slappy's. Also, heard that the guy who owns Jeffrey Adams on Fourth, and is in a partnership with others with The Trophy Room and Dogwood Hops & Crops on Liberty will be taking over Crafted: Art of the Taco's space with a similar concept that focuses on Southern inspired tacos.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:35 am 

I don't know if 492 West End Boulevard is really considered downtown or not, but it appears as if a movie and TV actor from Winston-Salem is opening a coffee shop in that space that will also serve beer and wine. It will be called The Remedy Coffee House & Bar.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0420792

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:03 am 

Fourth and Main wrote:
I don't know if 492 West End Boulevard is really considered downtown or not, but it appears as if a movie and TV actor from Winston-Salem is opening a coffee shop in that space that will also serve beer and wine. It will be called The Remedy Coffee House & Bar.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0420792

He founded and owns the Actor's Group right next door.

https://www.actorsgroup.net/the-instructors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:50 pm 

He's a good lookin' guy. I bet he'll get a lot googly eyed ladies in there.
But with a name like that he should've been a pumpkin farmer (Burgess Jenkins).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:27 pm 

smain wrote:
He's a good lookin' guy. I bet he'll get a lot googly eyed ladies in there.
But with a name like that he should've been a pumpkin farmer (Burgess Jenkins).

And Googly eyed dudes too

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:02 pm 

Finnigan's Wake closing Oct. 30 after 15 years in business.

Quote:
Dear Finnigan's Family,
With lots of gratitude and, of course, a little bit of anxiety, I am announcing that Finnigan's Wake will be permanently closing on Saturday, October 30, 2021.
It’s been an amazing 15 years. One third of my life has been in this space that you helped create. People make the place and we’ve been blessed with the best staff and customers. Y’all have always stepped up and made our events, fundraisers, and community outreach your own. Your generosity has multiplied over the years to make Winston Salem a better place to live.
I have been a restaurant owner for 20 years. After much reflection, I know I am supposed to do something new.
I have enjoyed cooking for you, pouring your drinks, laughing with you, talking about life in general. The people, the families, the characters, and staff who have walked through our doors since 2006 are what have motivated me to turn on the lights every day. Those same things are what makes this so bittersweet.
If you are looking for hard working, motivated coworkers, hit us up later and we’ll connect you.
These folks really are the best.
Thank you for allowing me to live my dream life for the last 15 years. I’m looking forward to the next segment of my dream life.
Stop by for one more night at Finn’s. “The kids” and I would love to see you.
With more gratitude than I could ever express,
Philip “Opie” Kirby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:21 pm 

Aw, that is terrible. The restaurant industry is at an inflection point. Supply shortages, worker shortages, higher costs to operate, relief money running out, the changing office lunch and 5PM crowd, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:28 pm 

That is terrible - I really did like the place even though they told me they didn't do Irish music 'cause that's not what the patrons wanted - bummer.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:24 pm 

Very sad. They were a great presence on Trade, seemed to always be bustling, and had a spacious patio.

I remember when the Miller's folk brought Finnegan's in and what a big day that was for that part of Trade. Here's hoping that a new person will take it over and do amazing things!

One slight turn-off to us in the past couple of years is the radio station across the street that blares their broadcast out at the sidewalk tables. No problem when it's music but you have to listen to the ads and banter. I wonder if Finnegan's minded?

That's now two prime locations (the other being the Lighthouse) that are ready for new restaurateurs... Maybe we'll get lucky and have some new and exciting options.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:55 pm 

Quote:
radio station across the street that blares their broadcast
That 's WTOB's new (several years now) location. A lot of rock 'n roll history with that station (before changing format) when it was above Town Steak House at Thruway. And where Dick Bennick was a DJ who institutionalized Friday night dances at the then American Legion on Miller Street across from where Publix is now. Later he added the Saturday night dance at the then Elk's Club corner of Marshall and whatever that exit was off of Interstate 40 (when it was really Interstate 40) at the then Hilton now Hawthorne Inn.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:55 am 

Visit (and make a purchase at) the downtown businesses you want to keep. I think we could be seeing the impact of fewer downtown employees? Many restaurants are heavily dependent on the lunch crowd to keep their doors open and with so many people working from home, sales are down. This is why I'm pushing for the return of industrial space downtown. Advanced manufacturing isn't work-from-home and this city performed poorly in attracting new office users before the pandemic. Bringing more medical jobs and students downtown would also help. We really need the eye institute and Brenner outpatient center in downtown, to help the restaurants. Downtown could also benefit from another Wake Forest school moving downtown, like the Department of Art. The Scales Building doesn't really fit well with the Reynolda Campus. I know some people won't like this suggestion, but maybe it's time to end face mask requirements? People go out less when their community has masking requirements. If you are concerned, wear an N95 or KN95 and a face shield. So much of it is political, as you watch the city require them outdoors at the fair. The biggest push should be in getting more people vaccinated. I suspect the fear created has led to many of the events that bring people downtown being cancelled. We need those events. With several good restaurant spaces on the market, likely price-per-square-foot will impact where new restaurants appear. Interestingly, every time I've visited a city with a Finnigan's Wake, I think of Winston-Salem. It is a sad loss. If downtown could gain something different, maybe some good will come from this. If you are looking for anything positive from these closings: Each business that closes reduces the competition for the other businesses and also helps them gain more employees, increasing their chances for survival.

Has anyone looked into converting 250 West First Street to apartments or condominiums? More people living downtown is more people to visit downtown businesses. 250 West First is low-hanging fruit to add more residential. Part of its parking was lost, so the NCDOT bought it. They are open to selling and residential doesn't need as much parking. The building has parking under the structure and likely enough for residential to work. The small floor plates of 200 West Second (former BB&T Building) would also work well for residential conversion and look at the park setting! Downtown could likely gain around 300-325 new residential units from the conversion of those two buildings. Possibly 450-500 new residents to visit downtown businesses! If more people are working-from-home and also living downtown, maybe they will walk to their favorite downtown businesses for breakfast, coffee, or lunch? I know these two buildings likely had three times that many office workers, but it's something and something is better than nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:15 am 

I don't think the mask mandate is a contributing factor. I spend a lot of time in smaller towns that do not have mask mandates, and they are facing the same issues.

Ultimately, I think a restaurant "reset" may be the ultimate outcome. It's unfortunate when a place like Finnigan's closes, but the positive aspect is that it will release workers into an environment where they are much needed. I have family in the industry, and I work on the periphery of the industry, and I have been told by many that the #1 issue is lack of workforce. This tends to snowball. If you cannot keep a full staff, the owner may be forced to work more (leading to burnout), or the restaurant may be forced to reduce hours (leading to reduced profit, potential losses). Neither option is sustainable long-term. I suspect that one of these was a major contributing factor in the closure of Finnigan's. I also don't think the lack of workers has a simple fix - many simply left the industry during the pandemic and won't be returning. Unfortunately, I could name a dozen other beloved Winston restaurants that are operating under a reduced capacity right now, and likely won't be able to hang on much longer without making tough decisions. Perhaps adding a member or two of Finnigan's staff may allow them to continue to operate.

This reset, in which some restaurants close, and their workers fill positions at other restaurants, isn't ideal, but may be the most likely outcome.

I think some cities (like Charlotte), will also see a reshuffle of restaurants away from Uptown and into smaller neighborhoods (like Noda). This was already happening before the pandemic, and COVID simply accelerated the trend. I don't think this will happen in Winston with our neighborhoods being so close to center-city.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1349 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 86, 87, 88, 89, 90