WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 12:49 am 

zalo wrote:
The Possum wrote:
Unverified rumors circulating on social media today report that the iconic Little Red Caboose Sandwich Shop at 4294 Patterson Ave. is closing after today. Very sad if true.

Jeez, I hope its not true. A true Camel City tradition!

A week or two ago, I heard this restaurant was sold to someone in Lewisville or Clemmons? Not sure what their plans are. I have been there one time (around 15-20 years ago). I seem to remember someone telling me this place and another called Peanut House were must visits.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:36 am 

Three people shot at West End Opera House early this morning. One in critical condition . . .

https://www.wxii12.com/article/3-injure ... m/41070931

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:28 am 

Fourth and Main wrote:
zalo wrote:
The Possum wrote:
Unverified rumors circulating on social media today report that the iconic Little Red Caboose Sandwich Shop at 4294 Patterson Ave. is closing after today. Very sad if true.

Jeez, I hope its not true. A true Camel City tradition!

A week or two ago, I heard this restaurant was sold to someone in Lewisville or Clemmons? Not sure what their plans are. I have been there one time (around 15-20 years ago). I seem to remember someone telling me this place and another called Peanut House were must visits.

Quote:
Larry Horn, a son of the hot-dog restaurant's founder the late Bill Horn Sr., said he bought the property from his brother Bill Horn Jr. just last week and is starting renovations.

Bill Horn Sr. started Little Red Caboose in 1976, moving an old train caboose from Durham to its current spot. The place became known for having some of the best hot dogs in Winston-Salem.

Bill Horn Sr. died in 1999, and Bill Jr. and others ran the restaurant in the ensuing years. In 2011, Debbie Durham took it over, continuing the name and the same menu. Durham ran it up until its closing last week.

Larry Horn said he has plans to fix up both the inside and outside. In particular, he wants to expand the outdoor seating and create a defined patio area.

He said he plans to be open from 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. and sell a similar menu of hot dogs, hamburgers and breakfast foods. "I'm also going to bring back biscuits, which we used to have, and milkshakes. This is going to be fun."

Durham, meanwhile, said she is actively looking for another location where she can open her own restaurant.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:55 pm 

SAMPAN Chinese Restaurant closing after nearly 31 years . . .

Quote:
"it's time to retire."

https://journalnow.com/entertainment/di ... -top-story

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:04 pm 

Great article in the WS Journal about the restaurant at the Shaffner House B&B opening up full time to the public, whether you are lodging there or not. The same article confirms that the three owners including Lou Baldwin are the new owners of the Queen Anne Col. Ludlow house and Richardsonian Dalton house on Summit Street in the West End, which are under restoration, and their intent to operate both of those again as a collective B&B.

Now if we can just get the historic Salem Tavern back up and running again! Having just visited Colonial Williamsburg again after 30+ years, it reiterated the importance of the tavern to the modern experience of Old Salem and its cultural interpretation of our local colonial life to visitors. I know first hand how hard it is for restaurant owners currently, and to survive the Covid pandemic, but the Salem Tavern is a must! to Winston-Salem.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:53 pm 

The Possum wrote:
SAMPAN Chinese Restaurant closing after nearly 31 years . . .

Quote:
"it's time to retire."

https://journalnow.com/entertainment/di ... -top-story

It would be great if a Vietnamese restaurant would take over the space. Frankly, I wish the Peter’s Creek Parkway corridor would take on the character of High Point Rd south of I 40 with their array of family owned Asian eateries and retail outlets.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 531 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36