WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97  Next
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:20 pm 

There was a series of walkways leading from that pedestrian bridge across and around the back where another upper-level plaza seemed to have had some businesses. I remember a large modern clockface on the back. Meta was the only business with visible presence that I know of there over the past couple of decades.
As with Sawtooth, one had the sense that serious resources had been deployed on "urban renewal". Folk who imagine that no one invested in W-S during those pivotal year seem underinformed to me...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:28 pm 

walker wrote:
There was a series of walkways leading from that pedestrian bridge across and around the back where another upper-level plaza seemed to have had some businesses. I remember a large modern clockface on the back. Meta was the only business with visible presence that I know of there over the past couple of decades.
As with Sawtooth, one had the sense that serious resources had been deployed on "urban renewal". Folk who imagine that no one invested in W-S during those pivotal year seem underinformed to me...

This was the Great Nixonian Destruction of 1969-1974. The Brutalist Blitzkrieg wrapped up just in time for the opening of Hanes Mall in the Fall of '75 and the Great Downtown Abandonment which followed.

The misguided folly is documented in this nauseating nugget from the archives:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 9:44 pm 

OMG, what an amazing and horrifying piece of history. Thank you?? I can't unsee that.

Of course it wasn't just Winston. Atrocities like this happened nationwide. But it does seem that somehow they managed to concentrate an immense amount of damage in a very compact space.

If there's one tiny silver lining it's these vestigial spaces that have strange sci-fi feels to them. If we can recuperate them as kitsch-cum-chic, there's a kind of retro-cool potential. (Glass 10% full?).

Those who forget the lessons of history...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:08 am 

La Hormigutia Smoothie Bar is the new tenant at 370 North Broad Street in the 4th & Broad Condominiums Building.

Location: https://www.google.com/maps/place/370+N ... 80.2537809

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:16 am 

I guess this is in the small space facing Broad. The corner is now signed as the pet spa. Too bad because that corner was a nice place for the coffee bars and gelato store that were there before. I guess no one could get it to pencil out for that purpose again.

There was a smoothie place for a long time at Brookstown and 4th. I assume from its longevity that there's a market for that in this area.

There is also a small loading zone in front of this space so maybe people will be able to drive up and grab a smoothie to go...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:37 am 

walker wrote:
OMG, what an amazing and horrifying piece of history. Thank you?? I can't unsee that.

Of course it wasn't just Winston. Atrocities like this happened nationwide. But it does seem that somehow they managed to concentrate an immense amount of damage in a very compact space.

If there's one tiny silver lining it's these vestigial spaces that have strange sci-fi feels to them. If we can recuperate them as kitsch-cum-chic, there's a kind of retro-cool potential. (Glass 10% full?).

Yeah that was brutal both literally and figuratively. What was the building being destroyed at the 17:00 minute mark of the video?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:56 pm 

B-V-R wrote:
walker wrote:

Yeah that was brutal both literally and figuratively. What was the building being destroyed at the 17:00 minute mark of the video?

That was the Robert E Lee Hotel. A Hyatt hotel replaced it and it’s now the Embassy Suites Hotel adjacent to the convention center

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:13 am 

It appears as if a dance studio is opening at Twin City Lofts. Not many details at this time.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 9:57 pm 

Coffee Park ARTS will not reopen at the Milton Rhodes Center per owner Tommy Priest.
The Coffee Park Airstream on Reynolda Rd will now be their sole location.

Quote:
'Twas a helluva run down on Spruce St...
Coffee Park ARTS
Opened
December 2014 -
Closed (officially)
April 2022
After a 25 month pandemic hiatus, we finally, hesitantly, & remorsefully, made the decision, that what it was, it will not be again.
Heart, love and soul poured into this space creating magnificent memories... Music, spoken word, poetry, visual art, film, community organizing, and so much more. Family. From our first event with @bethmckee & @tylernail & @colinallured in January '15, my mother's home going in February that same year, meeting @lbthepoet & @iam.elyb at Consciousness Through Poetry,
meeting @nopunchingbag and the Fant family, hosting the Piedmont Slam, the Winston-Salem Shuffle, @authoringaction events, Artists Unite and so much more. Thank you to @jsparrownc for inviting us in and to the @artscouncilwsfc + @sawtoothschool + @associatedartists + @bookmarksnc + @hispanicleague + @ncblackrep + @riverrunfilm for patronizing our little counter in the downtown #WSNC.
We'll cherish the lifelong connections, the memories, and, most importantly, the love of the Arts.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 11:35 am 

Finnigan's Wake to reopen this summer. Brian Cole will be the new owner.

https://triad-city-beat.com/finnigans-w ... is-summer/

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 1:53 pm 

Good for downtown. The one time we were there there was no Irish music because as the manger put it to me "our customers don't want it." Hmm, and here I thought it was an Irish bar. Maybe this time they can "occasionally" have Irish music. On the other hand, I reckon I have no right to request it since I don't live in W-S.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2022 2:39 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
Maybe this time they can "occasionally" have Irish music. On the other hand, I reckon I have no right to request it since I don't live in W-S.

I can see perhaps not having it continuously throughout the day but a few intermittent blocks of Gaelic tunes certainly wouldn't hurt. I feel you have every right to request it regardless of residency. Being a paying customer gives you all the right to make any reasonable request.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 3:16 pm 

Murphy's Lunch (207 W. Third St.) has reopened.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:48 pm 

Carolina's Vineyards and Hops is relocating to 408 Salem Avenue. It appears to be an old vacant building with a partially collapsed parapet? O'Brian Architecture is the architect and Frank L. Blum Construction is the general contractor.

Where they are moving: https://www.google.com/maps/place/408+S ... 80.2436759

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:55 pm 

Fourth and Main wrote:
Carolina's Vineyards and Hops is relocating to 408 Salem Avenue. It appears to be an old vacant building with a partially collapsed parapet? O'Brian Architecture is the architect and Frank L. Blum Construction is the general contractor.

Where they are moving: https://www.google.com/maps/place/408+S ... 80.2436759

Right next door to the sketchy Fish Tables place in the former Mystic (and originally Gulf) gas station at the corner of Broad St. . . . interesting social dynamic. The corner of the parapet collapsed last year. The rest of the building remains solid. This will be a huge improvement for the block.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1451 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97  Next