WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Thu May 19, 2022 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:07 pm 

Robinhood wrote:
walker wrote:
Nothing since has enticed me out to that strip mall

Nawab keeps me comin' back. I also used to visit Fleet Feet when they were out there, and now they're one of the few reasons I visit Hanestowne Village (or whatever it's called). But generally I'm with you on the pro-downtown bias.

Sure wish there was more soft retail in downtown WS.

Mast General Store is nice, but camping/outdoors isn't really my style. What is there other than that? Really hope all the new apartments eventually lead to better shopping downtown.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:56 pm 

Highwoods Properties has finally sold their Knollwood Street complex to a local partnership group consisting of JDL Castle & Magnolia Partners for $40.75 million. The development consists of 250,000 square feet of Class A office/retail space and is home to the local offices of BOA, Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo Advisors and whatever's left of Krispy Kreme as well as Rooster's A Noble Grill and Jim Boeheim of Syracuse's favorite Italian restaurant in the South, BLL Rostiessire Chicken.

JDL Castle/Magnolia also own neighboring Stratford Oaks and Downtown's Century Plaza on N. Cherry Street as well as Winston Tower. I believe it to be good news to have this prominent midtown development under solid local ownership.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:06 pm 

Per Smitty's Notes:

Quote:
Bonefish Grill located at 300 S. Stratford Rd in the Thruway Shopping Center has permanently closed. Their lease was up and did not renew.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:51 am 

The Possum wrote:
Per Smitty's Notes:

Quote:
Bonefish Grill located at 300 S. Stratford Rd in the Thruway Shopping Center has permanently closed. Their lease was up and did not renew.

16 years is a pretty good run for a restaurant. I’m thinking the parking situation being so congested at Thruway played a factor in their decision. Here’s hoping for something equally nice going into the space.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:25 am 

zalo wrote:
Highwoods Properties has finally sold their Knollwood Street complex to a local partnership group consisting of JDL Castle & Magnolia Partners for $40.75 million. The development consists of 250,000 square feet of Class A office/retail space and is home to the local offices of BOA, Merrill Lynch, Wells Fargo Advisors and whatever's left of Krispy Kreme as well as Rooster's A Noble Grill and Jim Boeheim of Syracuse's favorite Italian restaurant in the South, BLL Rostiessire Chicken.

JDL Castle/Magnolia also own neighboring Stratford Oaks and Downtown's Century Plaza on N. Cherry Street as well as Winston Tower. I believe it to be good news to have this prominent midtown development under solid local ownership.

The Journal's Richard Craver is reporting that Krispy Kreme has sold their Stratford Road store to neighboring property owner Hubbard Development for $3.16 million and executed a lease back with them. His article sort of recounted the past few years of KK's real estate moves in the city, including the relocation of multiple corporate functions to Charlotte & London. He indicated that they continue to occupy the fourth & fifth floors (33,160 sq. ft) in the 370 Knollwood Building. It has been further reported that several leases have been executed absorbing some of the vacated KK space. Shelco Construction is subleasing a portion of the second floor. The recently merged law firm Waldrep, Wall, Babcock & Bailey LLC moved into 11,000 sq. ft. on the sixth floor and Allen Tate Realtors consolidated their Hanes Mall Blvd and Downtown offices into the building with 70 realtors, executives and professional staff that include Allen Tate Mortgage and Insurance representatives.

An additional lease was recently executed in the adjacent 380 Knollwood Bldg. to Sono Bello a firm that specializes in advanced, micro-laser technology, offering a variety of body contouring treatments. This is the first location in the Piedmont Triad.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:08 pm 

Sabor Latin Street Grill, an expanding fast casual chain out of Charlotte, is opening up in the former Qdoba at Miller Street Market. Their menu includes tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc…

http://www.saborcharlotte.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:25 pm 

zalo wrote:
Sabor Latin Street Grill, an expanding fast casual chain out of Charlotte, is opening up in the former Qdoba at Miller Street Market.

A "street grill" in a suburban strip mall. LOL

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:32 am 

:good:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:51 am 

zalo wrote:
Sabor Latin Street Grill, an expanding fast casual chain out of Charlotte, is opening up in the former Qdoba at Miller Street Market. Their menu includes tacos, burritos, enchiladas, etc…

http://www.saborcharlotte.com

For years, it seemed like Winston was the place for Greensboro restaurants to open additional locations - Crafted, Hops, Joymongers, Cheesecakes by Alex.

Three might not make a trend, but Sabor is the now the third Charlotte restaurant that has opened in or announced plans to open in Winston as it's first or second market outside of Charlotte in the past few months (Bossy Beulah's & Shomars being the other two). It looks like Sabor has a location in Greenville, SC, but all other restaurants are in the Charlotte region.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:04 pm 

WSBornNBred wrote:

Three might not make a trend, but Sabor is the now the third Charlotte restaurant that has opened in or announced plans to open in Winston as it's first or second market outside of Charlotte in the past few months (Bossy Beulah's & Shomars being the other two). It looks like Sabor has a location in Greenville, SC, but all other restaurants are in the Charlotte region.

Any W-S -based restaurants in G'boro or Charlotte?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:25 pm 

Village Tavern, K&W, East Coast Wings

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:03 pm 

Actually, I thought Jim Noble started in High Point and Winston-Salem, with Nobles Grill, then expanded in Charlotte with Roosters, Noble Smoke, and Bossy Beulah’s. There is also (Wake grad) Jim Scibelli’s Bad Daddys in WS that he started in Charlotte. I wish he would open a Mama Ricotta’s in WS!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:40 pm 

Red, Hot, & Blue was founded in Arlington, Virginia, but moved to and is still listed as headquartered in Winston-Salem on Wikipedia. Dunn & Bradstreet lists it in Laurel, Maryland, but RH&B's website lists Wake Forest (the town) as the headquarters. They have closed a lot of locations, but still seem to be going. Not sure if there was one in Charlotte or not.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:41 pm 

wsnc62 wrote:
Actually, I thought Jim Noble started in High Point and Winston-Salem, with Nobles Grill, then expanded in Charlotte with Roosters, Noble Smoke, and Bossy Beulah’s. There is also (Wake grad) Jim Scibelli’s Bad Daddys in WS that he started in Charlotte. I wish he would open a Mama Ricotta’s in WS!

You're right. Jim Noble was originally from High Point and opened up the first Noble's downtown on N. Main across from the old Radisson. It represented one of the first upscale/high end restaurants in HP. He expanded to Winston in the Knollwood Bldg. as well as GSO on Battleground in one of those strip centers at Pembroke Road in the nineties. After a while, he shifted his focus to Charlotte, shutting down HPt (but I believe that he continued to cater during Furniture Mkt.) & GSO but keeping Winston.

I enjoy Bad Daddy's and I definitely second a request for a Camel City Mama Ricotta's. It's sooo good! :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:03 pm 

yadkinv wrote:
Red, Hot, & Blue was founded in Arlington, Virginia, but moved to and is still listed as headquartered in Winston-Salem on Wikipedia. Dunn & Bradstreet lists it in Laurel, Maryland, but RH&B's website lists Wake Forest (the town) as the headquarters. They have closed a lot of locations, but still seem to be going. Not sure if there was one in Charlotte or not.

I do seem to recall that the chain went through a major downsizing 10 plus years ago and that some individuals from Winston took a controlling interest in the remaining enterprise and moved the offices here. They were in a office building at 154 Charlois Blvd. during all that time, in fact their sign is still up. The building was sold to Signature Real Estate sometime in the recent past and Signature moved their offices in the front suite of the building. I was assuming that RH&B was still operating out of the back office but looks like they have picked up and moved to Wake Forest. Makes sense since their only NC location is in Raleigh.

I was very hopeful when they first moved here that was going to be the start of a major rejuvenation of the chain all emanating from the Camel City. But, I can't see where they have opened any new restaurants since. The ones listed on their website have been around for decades. I know for a fact that the DFW units have been around since the 80's. They did, however, open a location up on Deacon Blvd back in 04/05 IIRC. That was during the timeline that Wake Forest had bought up all the property along the street and there was talk of them redeveloping that section into a mixed use development with retail/restaurants/apartments. And we all know how that turned out. :dead: They stayed open alot longer than I would have thought considering the seeming lack of business. I figured that Wake gave them a super flexible lease just to have some action there.

After they closed, I kept thinking that they would open up elsewhere in the city, especially downtown. But NADA. :dontknow:

Perhaps someone else has purchased the business and the Winston based people have sold out??

http://www.redhotandblue.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next