WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:35 am 

Just read this in the WSJ - sounds innovative and very exciting - hope it's doable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:10 am 

Journal article:

http://www.journalnow.com/news/local/ar ... 0f31a.html

Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/RJR-Smok ... 8475284740

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:54 am 

Update from the RJR Smokestack Kaleidoscope Project via Facebook:

Quote:
"The site visit was a true eye opener. WFU was very gracious to allow us to get an idea of the scope of what is to be done there. The great news is that building the kaleidoscope is entirely possible. Initial assessment of the structures shows them to be sound and access to the interior is already present. There are even smaller stacks on the property that could be adapted as well.... REALITY is that the Bailey Power Plant's future has not yet been finalized... It is a fantastic complex of structures with incredible potential to become any number of things. Science museum,artists studios, preforming arts stage, restaurants, offices??? Who knows? These are the things that will be determined by the development team. In a perfect world this idea will be part of their overall concept. We all seem to agree that it would be fun. Now we know that it too will require the resources of many. Most worthwhile things do. Innovation is what our city is about, as we rise from the ashes of our past. I am confident that with enough community support, the leaders of this development will make decisions in the best interest of all. Let them know what you want... This IS YOUR city.
News channel 14 is supposed to have an article on this effort tomorrow"

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:34 pm 

Montreal bus stop . . .

. . . it's musical too !

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:03 pm 

:tup: I've actually seen this. Did you read the description at the site? I seem to remember it said an animal behavior scientist proposed it to encourage social interaction. It will actually produce different sounds when you have more people on the swings. There were many, many, many swings at this site.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:09 pm 

It's my favorite city in the world.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:23 pm 

The case for neon . . .

1944 photo. American cities were never more beautiful . . .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:18 pm 

The automobiles weren't bad either.

I wish someone would photoshop that theater sign to read aperture

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:33 pm 

Skyhouse apartments are proliferating like fungi. They have plans to build residential towers in seven cities, including Raleigh and Charlotte. I wonder if they are considering entering the Triad market. Winston-Salem i would naturally be the first choice in the Triad for any developers looking to build center city residential projects.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:44 pm 

^True. I think FourthandMain touched on that. There are two urban apt projects with 200+ units each. Skyhouse is doable in Winston for sure. I'd like to see one beside the Pepper building with commercial on the ground floor.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:41 am 

I think we would need a local developer to contact Novare Group and ask them about partnering on a Skyhouse in Winston-Salem? A $55 million (developments cost 10-11% less to build in Winston-Salem) residential highrise could ask for incentives, just as the IQ District, 751 West Fourth, Wachovia Center, former Civic Plaza development, and others have. With the direct and indirect tax revenue this would generate, it's an easy win for incentives. If the city and maybe county became involved at $5-7.5 million each, a Skyhouse could cost $40-45 million? This could bring the cost per unit to around that of The Link Apartments, at BB&T Ballpark? Someone should attempt this at the IQ District. This would visibly place Winston-Salem in the same list of cities as Charlotte, Raleigh, Austin, etc.,. That perception of fast growth and a highly desirable market, a highrise residential tower branded with the "Skyhouse" name would bring, could have a big impact, from employers and maybe developers giving Winston-Salem and the IQ District a look? For those who want to know, this design is 264 feet tall. A new 7th tallest.

I would want the Skyhouse name, for the benefits it could bring to Winston-Salem's image. However: If you're thinking you could save more money without Novare's involvement and you're willing to attempt it alone and not contact Novare Group or use the Skyhouse name, Skyhouse saves money through being an example of Post-Modern Structural Expressionism. By this, I speak of the concrete supporting skeleton being visible between the rows of windows. They pour a floor and just add the windows between the load bearing concrete columns. It's cheap and something a local architect could design and a local developer could do. I think they do add an affordable precast concrete cladding to the base, but that is it. If you hire a local architect and build your own, you can also design something unique to Winston-Salem too, as a benefit, but that Skyhouse name could help Winston-Salem's image though?

Skyhouse uses Structural Expressionism:
I'm not sure who took this photograph? If this is yours, let me know and I'll credit it to you.

As you can see, in the photograph above, the load bearing reinforced concrete columns are exposed as a finished product. The concrete mold gives them a pattern. This creates cost savings in the project in materials, labor and construction time.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:46 am 

I.Q. parking lot redesign . . .

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:56 am 

Right, including the palm tree.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:02 am 

yadkinv wrote:
Right, including the palm tree.

It's a reference to the palms on a pack of Camels.

:nerd:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:14 pm 

[youtube]y-Mf0kG7-to[/youtube]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next