WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:36 pm 

Even better

[youtube]bnKzoh3zDEw[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:06 pm 

^ HA! That's the video I was looking for and couldn't find! Thanks for posting!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:00 am 

On my wish list: Schlotzsky's.

Winston really, really needs a Schlotzsky's - their sandwiches are superior to most everywhere else. I'm making myself hungry just thinking about them...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:19 am 

Deacon Dawg wrote:
On my wish list: Schlotzsky's.

Winston really, really needs a Schlotzsky's - their sandwiches are superior to most everywhere else. I'm making myself hungry just thinking about them...

Winston-Salem had a Schlotzsky's. The building that now houses KFC and Long John Silver's on Hanes Mall Blvd. was built as a Schlotzsky's back in the late 90's, I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:40 am 

That must have been after I finished school and before I moved back to town, because I would definitely have remembered that. Regardless, it needs to come back...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:06 pm 

I second that. :tup: I used to go to them when they were on the Blvd. Loved them since my days in Texas/Cali. Definitely one of the best sandwiches around. Something about the bread. Was here probably 4-5 years shortly from around 2000 IIRC. I'm suspecting that something happened with the local franchiser because the 2 GSO locations shut down as well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:06 pm 

Let's put some of these Downtown . . .

Quote:

Traditionally, traffic stops are some of the most dangerous spots where pedestrians could get hurt from ongoing traffic, especially if they are not paying attention to the crosswalk lights. But what if we could change it so that crosswalk lights could be safer? Check out this unique signal that's nothing short of being brilliant.

[youtube]SB_0vRnkeOk[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:10 pm 

Just a great idea! Setting up these at cherry and Marshall, along with a publicity blitz about not blocking the crosswalks and featuring the motion-capture studio for a month downtown would be a great way to minimize problems at the 4th street crossings when they redo B40

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 1:15 pm 

walker wrote:
Just a great idea! Setting up these at cherry and Marshall, along with a publicity blitz about not blocking the crosswalks and featuring the motion-capture studio for a month downtown would be a great way to minimize problems at the 4th street crossings when they redo B40

It just screams "City of the Arts" . . . and it CAN be done.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2014 4:08 pm 

:tup:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:38 am 

Wasn't sure where exactly to put this, but this seems like a good place.

Moogfest looking to relocate from Asheville for 2016:

http://www.indyweek.com/music/archives/2015/01/14/moogfest-seeking-move-to-durham-in-april-2016?utm_content=buffer4a5a4&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Article says they are looking to move to Durham in April 2016, but nothing is confirmed yet. I think it'd be great if W-S could make a late push.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 2:35 pm 

Main Branch of the Post Office

After another trip to the Center City Station on Town Run Lane, with the line about 12 deep including people with armloads of packages to be mailed, I scooted up to the Patterson Avenue "Main Branch" and found two clerks waiting for customers and no one in line. I'm not the first, and I won't be the last, to pine away for the big old 5th Street post office, but good grief that Patterson Avenue location was all kinds of unwise and it's much more satellite than main, IMHO.

What I've only just learned (slow learner syndrome) is that the Patterson Avenue branch is on the chopping block (see this listing: http://www.uspspropertiesforsale.com/default.asp?f=listing_details&listingid=344049&listingtype=22). But maybe that's been listed a long time?

So I'm turning to the Winston-Salem Wish List and thinking about the large swaths of land awaiting development, or with plans for partial development, and I'm doing some wishing. I'm wishing that Wake Forest Innovation Quarter or Primm and his ballpark district or John Reece with his scattering of westside downtown properties were thinking creatively about how to work up a partnership or arrangement to bring back a sizable USPS presence to downtown. Maybe it makes no business or development sense...or does it? I realize the Post Office is in dire straits but it seems there still has to be a Main Branch, and I sure do wish it were in the heart of downtown. Tons more residential, more downtown businesses and development, the med school moving here...that's a lot of demand.

We had a good little scare back in the Fall of 2009 that the little undersized/over-utilized downtown station was on the list of potential closures, which was hard to imagine given how busy it always seems. But then again, between building size, staffing patterns, and parking lot spaces, it hardly seems to measure up.

So that's my wish dressed up in all the naïveté I can muster on a Tuesday afternoon.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 5:43 pm 

There's this really big building already on facing Fifth between Trade and Liberty. I think that would make an amazing post office!

Sigh.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:31 pm 

A Verizon Center type big tv screens in the new Ballpark Village mixed use development.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:01 pm 

Let's build a Chinatown too while we're at it . . . :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next