WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:10 am 

Looking for ideas for a new Forsyth County Central Library in downtown Winston-Salem: What do you consider the best designed libraries in the world? I thought we could share some of our favorite designs and maybe the right people will see them and use some of those ideas or we could send some of our favorites to the right people. It does seem as if everything posted in this forum is seen by the people working on these projects.

Rules to the thread: It must be a library built recently. Nothing historic, since we are talking about new construction ideas.

I'm having a difficult time finding a design I actually like. We often speak of Austin, TX., being a good model for Winston-Salem to follow. This is their library. It's interesting to use, because Winston-Salem's could also have a really nice park space directly at the entrance. Also, Austins' is 6-storeys, which is close to the height of Winston-Salem's proposed library. I love the atrium and it's an idea I incorporated into a design I worked on a few years ago. I would love to see an atrium looking out on the park and connecting the library with the city and activity on the streets.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:58 am 

Austin . . . . meh.

I'm gonna go with San Diego:

[youtube]-1us-dfklNs[/youtube]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:27 am 

I'll add KC's library parking garage :crazy:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:51 am 

I definitely like the San Diego Library especially the dome (and the height), but W-S ain't no San Diego (not yet anyway). I don't care too much for the Austin version (but would like to have the building to the right in the background in downtown W-S). I like the parking garage design from KC, but wonder if it would become a bit tiring after a while.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:36 am 

I don't care for the books design, but I love San Diego's library. I don't know why I've never seen it before. That is the first library I've seen anywhere in the world that I like. Most of them have boring and similar designs. Since a high school is missing from downtown (2 elementary schools and a middle school are downtown), it's possible someone could start a high school in the library and help fund it. Of course I would like to see a residential developer take-over development and build something mixed-use.

Here is an example in Washington D.C., of a library with 10 floors containing 153 apartments/condos above. I don't really care for the ugly and severely outdated 1959 design, but it is an example of what I was talking about and the county can still tax the property, since the county would sign a long term lease.. leaving the entire building on the tax roll. This is how Winston-Salem should be thinking. Downtown should be mixed-use and a library is an awesome amenity in a residential building.

http://dcmud.blogspot.com/2009/12/west- ... wdown.html

I'm still finding myself wishing they could've renovated an old industrial building for the library, like the power plant or one of the Reynolds/Hanes Buildings. It seems adaptive reuse, while preserving the industrial feel of the structure, is a better fit for Winston-Salem. I'm sure once the power plant is renovated into an entertainment center, I'll be thankful they didn't use the power plant for a library, but right now.. I think an adaptive reuse project would've become an awesome library. Notice how the power plant looks like a library on the inside and it's the right square footage: http://www.journalnow.com/gallery/news/ ... f6878.html If not the power plant, I wish they could've partnered with Wake Forest University to build it in one of the old Reynolds factories as a shared facility.... with maybe Wake Forest enlarging it and upgrading it beyond $20 million for their medical students. They could've also linked it directly to the ZSR Library. I still wish the city's business community and local citizens would attempt to raise another $5-10 million to build a real showplace downtown and maybe add the Winston-Salem City Museum to it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:26 am 

Quote:
and maybe add the Winston-Salem City Museum to it.
Great idea! And move ScIWorks downtown and add it although space in the Sheriff area would become a factor probably.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:59 am 

Looks like its just me but for some reason links provided by The Possum are not showing up on his posts. I currently see no link to the S.D. Library. Zinzendorf, any suggestions? :dontknow:

I like the suggestion of adding a residential component to the library building which would add additional floors to the structure. I especially like the idea of the site going on the tax books. I guess that it could be a condo-type arrangement whereas the library portion would be owned by the County and the private developer would own the residential portion if the Commissioners did not want to go with a long term lease? If so, that is definitely something to look into!

I agree that the K.C. Library garage is really eye catching but I also believe that it would become out-dated fairly quickly.

I prefer that the Library stay in the CBD outside of the IQ.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:00 am 

If we want to have more restaurants and retail and want national chains, including chain grocery stores, we need a larger downtown population and a high population density. The best way to achieve this is through mixed-use projects. The great downtowns we want Winston-Salem's to be like all have mixed-use projects like this. This area (near the former courthouse) could have hundreds of residences (maybe near 1,000 residents?) in this small area.... along with a library, a park, a hotel, offices, multiple transportation alternatives to access it and several storefronts, along with three great development opportunity sites to build new offices (hopefully mixed-use, adding more residents and storefronts!) or really anything we can think of, including possibly an arts development? A mixed-use library with apartments would help reposition this area to become the vibrant center of downtown again, as it once was many years ago. It would also show a great example of the benefits from mixed-use for other developers, while saving the county money. From what I understand, the county doesn't have to use all the money at once and can lower the debt from the project by partnering with a private developer for a mixed-use library. The county could save money, by giving $10 million in incentives.... maybe add a few million in city incentives as well?.... to a private developer to build 150 apartments and a library. Then the county could issue bonds to cover rent each year, for the duration of the lease. The building is privately owned and the county could sign a long term lease for maybe 20 years with the remaining money. And since the county isn't using all the money at once, it saves the county money and is good for the budget. Both the city and county would collect taxes on the project.

Last edited by Fourth and Main on Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:08 am 

zalo wrote:
Looks like its just me but for some reason links provided by The Possum are not showing up on his posts. I currently see no link to the S.D. Library. Zinzendorf, any suggestions? :dontknow:

I didn't post a link, but rather the video player itself. It should appear just as it does on Youtube . . . at least it does on my end.

Anyhoo . . . Here's the link to the San Diego Library video:

I hope this works.