WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Housing at 7th and Main
PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:22 pm 

I came up with this idea on this laid back Saturday afternoon. I thought I'd try a video instead of just images. For some odd reason I have a fascination with this building and would really like to see it being used one day.

Thoughts?

[youtube]R8IVyyG_dwQ[/youtube]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:06 pm 

Once again, I am not seeing the link on my end... :dead: Can you re-post please?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:21 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:57 pm 

I'd prefer the facade this 1925 building be restored to its original appearance. It had a different cornice and storefronts. Those look like cheap vinyl replacement-type windows video rendering. They should be banned from Downtown projects. I did some research on this place years ago for a former owner. I'm betting it is the work of Northup and O'Brien. The window design is strikingly similar to that of their City Hall finished the following year.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:21 pm 

Is this a proposal? This is the first I've heard of it. Strange: in "your neighbors" they fail to mention the John Kuhne Studio, which is right across the street.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:43 pm 

There's no photo so I really had nothing to pull from. I wouldve loved to recreate the original facade. Possum I actually remembered your mention of the city hall windows last year so I used them here. They were cut pasted from a photo of that building. Are they cheap? I thought city hall was quality?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:19 pm 

I didn't realize you made the video, T.C. no offense intended . . . I do like your color scheme and appreciate the overall traditional design . . . I'm just a window purist to a fault. i thought they looked familiar. :yesyes:

The windows at City Hall were replaced in the late 1980s. ( When I say "cheap" I mean relative to authentic reproductions a la Reynolds High School or UNCG's Aycock Auditorium.)
The originals were wooden double-hung . . . 9 over 9 (panes) on the second floor, 6 over 6 on the first and third. The sashes were painted dark in contrast with the white frames. I was greatly disappointed when they were replaced.

The storefront configuration of 701 N. Main can be seen from the inside, including an arch on the south side. It is beneath the precast pebble/concrete panels. The original cornice was of reinforced concrete (it was chiseled off) and simple in design. I've only seen aerial photos taken in the 1930's so I cannot say whether it had dentils, though they would have been appropriate. i'd speculate that it was concave instead. The building is enormous inside, has been stabilized and has great potential!