WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Thu Oct 28, 2021 6:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Container Buildings?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:45 pm 

If I remember my Winston-Salem history correctly, the shipping containers that can be transferred from train, to truck, to ships, were invented in Winston-Salem? Why doesn't Winston-Salem have any buildings or temporary store spaces made from then, as seen in other cities? It seems like a good idea for some of the empty lots as temporary and cheap spaces for stores? It could become a way to test the market for your idea, before investing in a storefront? If someone could give-up a big parking lot at Fifth and Main, it could be possible to create a shipping container market. If you need an example of what I'm talking about see below.

Source

They don't have to look like shipping containers. You can hire an architect, like North Carolina's very own Boxman Studios. It's possible for them to look as stylish as this (see below), but this may increase the rent. Something like this could be considered if you want permanent storefronts made from these containers.

source

Source

These "pop-up" stores can be anywhere and would likely work best in an area with many old industrial buildings. With Winston-Salem being the city these containers were actually invented in, I would think Winston-Salem would have something like this around. It is possible to use these as a temporary retail incubator. Set opening hours, so the store owner can't make the stupid mistake of being open during 9-5 business hours. Maybe make it 11:30-8 p.m., during the week and provide later hours during the weekend? It's important to have things to do after 5, if you want foot traffic after 5. Also, if you're at work, you can't visit these businesses! If they are temporary or incubator space, limit the time a store can rent the cheap space. Maybe a year or 18 months? It would be great if there was something, like a grant or low interest loan, as a reward for doing well and deciding to open a more permanent brick-and-mortar location downtown? As we've seen though, they don't have to be temporary incubator spaces. They could become cheap infill too with permanent businesses in the Arts District. The Box Park photo would look good in the IQ District, as a way to add retail in front of the new parking deck, or as a way to hide parking, or in some of the other empty lots.

Post subject: Re: Container Buildings?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:52 am 

Quote:
...the shipping containers that can be transferred from train, to truck, to ships, were invented in Winston-Salem?
As the "myth" goes a Reynolds Executive was watching ships be loaded in Norfolk, and came up with the idea. The actual connection to W-S as I recall is that the container as we now know it was invented by Malcom Mclean (native to a small town maybe in eastern NC) who founded Mclean Trucking eventually headquartered in W-S (the largest trucking terminal in the world in the '60s). Later the McLean's Sea-Land Container Corporation was acquired by Reynolds and then by CSX and later Maersk.

Anyway, a rare disagreement courteously with F&M, but personally these remind me of eastern Europe or possibly Scandinavian "innovation" not to my liking.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:14 pm 

"Plyscrapers" anyone?

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/tech/eco-f ... ncna793346

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:40 pm 

Yes!!!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:35 am 

yadkinv wrote:
Quote:
...the shipping containers that can be transferred from train, to truck, to ships, were invented in Winston-Salem?
As the "myth" goes a Reynolds Executive was watching ships be loaded in Norfolk, and came up with the idea. The actual connection to W-S as I recall is that the container as we now know it was invented by Malcom Mclean (native to a small town maybe in eastern NC) who founded Mclean Trucking eventually headquartered in W-S (the largest trucking terminal in the world in the '60s). Later the McLean's Sea-Land Container Corporation was acquired by Reynolds and then by CSX and later Maersk.

Anyway, a rare disagreement courteously with F&M, but personally these remind me of eastern Europe or possibly Scandinavian "innovation" not to my liking.

That's how I recall it...