WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:29 am 

It's in a thesis on redevlopment in mid-sized cities.
http://tylerjrush.com/Thesis-Progress

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:08 am 

. . . . and a thesis it should remain.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:11 pm 

ROFL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:43 pm 

I would like to see something done with the rough windowless wall that faces the park on the west facade. Whatever is done should preserve the upper three floors where the Dewey's sign and Pepper Building sign are. It should also be designed so it looks as if it was there in 1928. And it shouldn't be an L-shaped structure, wrapping around the back sides, that takes a third of the park space away. That is expensive, likely won't look good, and reducing park space makes the L-shaped structures the worst idea possible. I wish the developer could find a way to safely remove the lower three floors of the west facing wall and replace it with new brick that matches the old brick. This could also allow for a few windows (that match the originals of course) with a park view to be installed into that wall.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:07 pm 

Fourth and Main wrote:
It should also be designed so it looks as if it was there in 1928.

I believe an exact replica of the Crawford Building would look as if it was there in 1928 , , , , I'll be satisfied with nothing less.

. . . . and I'd like to see all 3/3rds of the park space filled with buildings. The Pepper Building was not designed nor intended to stand isolated and alone on that corner. It looks like the the lone survivor of a post-apocolyptic riot or a drunken rampage with a bulldozer.

The "park" is just a cheap wig hiding the bald spot that was left when the crazy lady pulled out her hair.

It it neither Artistic nor Innovative. It remains an embarrassing testament to ill-conceived, unnecessary and piecemeal Urban Renewal halted short of valid fruition by a deficit of capital and vision.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:03 pm 

Quote:
and I'd like to see all 3/3rds of the park space filled with buildings.
Me too! It does not look like or seem to be a park. It needs infill.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:04 am 

That building was so close to demolition. I'm guessing if the latest effort would've failed, it would've faced demolition again, with the tax credit issues, people who think the back looks ugly... therefore the whole building is ugly to them, and those who think it's somehow unstable, from looking at the back sides and needed to come down. I can remember one person seeking demolition spoke of the rough areas on the back sides. This could be an issue the renovators must work on to make this building more attractive for renters and storefront tenants? I strongly believe those two back sides are the reason this building was so close to demolition and U.S. Development should try to replace the lower part of those two walls. Doing something with those walls will refocus attention on the art deco sides of the building and improve overall opinion of the Pepper Building. I would try to remove that ugly part and re-brick that section. If it's impossible to do this, find a way to cover it on both sides. Maybe a flat surface with murals?

Civic Plaza is a park that isn't finished. When the Pepper Building is renovated, the city will use a tool called TIF to finance building an underground parking deck with a new city park. With the underground deck in place, another request for proposals will be sent to build a highrise to the south of the Pepper Building. They need the new tax revenue from the Pepper Building to do this though.