WSTB

Winston-Salem's Tallest Buildings and Skyscrapers
It is currently Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:14 pm 

I've always wondered what it would take to convert the top half of the Winston Tower (301 N Main St.) into luxury Condos. I feel like the building has hovered between 30 and 40% vacancy since I can remember, and still office space is only going for $12.50/sf. I would love to see floors 13 and up turned into luxury residential. In my opinion a renovation like that would not only make Winston Tower one of the nicest places to live downtown, but also enable them to bring in stronger tenants downstairs. Running plumbing and electrical through the floors and removing asbestos seem to be the largest obstacles, but I'm sure the list goes on. Looking forward to hearing more from the group on this..

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:11 pm 

I have always heard that the asbestos remediation would be a very high cost and coupled with the other water/sewer upfits put the cost of the condos out of alignment with the local condo market as well as a rent structure well above the going Winston rate. I have never heard that anyone has taken a serious look at it in a number of years. The present ownership group owns just commercial properties, unsure if they would be interested in residential units. However, one never knows.